Who Is The Greatest Guitar Player

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Heres an oldie but a goodie from 1970. Its Terry Kath, one of the founding members of Chicago Transit Authority, later known as just "Chicago". Jimi Hendrix was one of his biggest fans, once quoted as saying that Kath was much better than him. Kath is in the dark shirt playing lead in "I'm A Man". Too bad Kath later accidentally shot himself, Chicago was never the same after that.

magoo57

I am with DS. There are many guitar greats, but only one Guitar god. Clapton.
"Cocaine" may the the definitive 'air guitar' song of all time.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
If you like the Blues...??? Give Roy Buchanan a try.

Roy Buchanan Blues Master Guitar 1988

Other guitar greats in my opinion..

Jeff Beck

Eric Clapton (DS is right on the money)

Jimmy Page, of "Led Zeppelin" fame, look out for their tour in 2008. They were my favorite group when I was a punk and I'd buy tickets to see them if they make it here.

All three originally from the "Yard birds".

Eddie Van Halen also rocked!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Carlos santana.
Joe Walsh
BB King
Roy Clark, cant think of anyone someone hasnt already named.
Jim Dandy, talk about dating yourself, Black Oak Arkansas.
The aerosmith guy, Steve Pery? when the guitar talked, ......coulda been what I had breathed that day but he was great in concert.

Big Babooba

There are a few whom I consider some of the best. Although most may not be familiar. Such as Steve Hackett of early Genesis fame, Jan Akkerman (Focus),Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Andy Latimer (Camel).

Hendrix is great and (in my opinion) pretty much set the bar for all to follow.

There are others. Heck, I know a guy locally that could jam with the best of them. He chose another career path, unfortunately (or not).
Hendrix was on a whole different level.

Sammie

Hendrix was on a whole different level.

After waiting in line for a day and a half outside the Fillmore
Auditorium in San Francisco (first come, first served) I was lucky
enough to see Hendrix perform in Feb. 1968. We sat in the floor
(no seats) next to the stage with the band about a foot away; Jimi
was one handsome, talented young man...

Then in 1969 after leaving a Crosby Stills Nash and Young concert in
Sacramento, a rumor circulated among the crowd that the Stones
were hosting a free concert that night at an abandoned race track. My husband at the time and I thought yeah, right but the rumor was right on. Santana also performed as did the Jefferson Airplane until one of their band members was knocked unconcious by a Hells Angel. The Angels were the security but ended up running their bikes over a few unfortunate spectators and fatally stabbing another one. Between those deaths and and all the young women who gave birth that night, what a nightmare...

tieguy

Banned
hendrix, clapton, walsh, bbking, les, jimmy page, and how bout slash and someone you may not have heard of chris chaffery who plays with trans siberian orchestra.

wkmac

Got a kid that can play a mean Guitar Hero.

I hate that game! :happy-very: We bought it and at times I've got to shut it off because instead of playing their real guitars they'll play GH. The worst is my 10 year old son who has an $800 Ibanez hanging on the wall in his room but it does inspire. He already knew Iron Man but now he knows War Pigs and he's gone on to learn several more off of GH so it does work in reverse too. I still wish he'd practice more. LOL!

Vols, you mentioned Roy Clark and it brought something to mind concerning guitar greats. In the early 70's I was living in NC and although we were longhaired, dope smoking, hippie types into everything from Pink Floyd to huge Black Sabbath fans we also loved blue grass. At the time there were numerous blue grass events called Fiddler's Conventions and one special place was called Love Valley NC and we'd go as often as we could. Some of the most knock your arse down, jaw dropping flat pickin' I ever saw was from these chicken pickin' guitarists.

There is a music store north of us near Canton Ga. that on the first and third Thursday's of the month have what they call a "pickin' party" where blue grassers from all around will show up and play around the store until sometimes near midnight. One night when I had to work country band Little Big Town who is from our area showed up for the fun and my wife and kids said they could pick and grin with the best of em too. I have seen them live and they are good. Many folks also bring a covered dish so the eatin' is good also. It's as much a social event as anything.

Working nights I only get to go when my vacation works out but my wife takes our guitarists up pretty often and the best part is the old timers who know their craft love to sitdown one on one with the youngsters and teach them their pickin' secrets. And you think the metal world has shredders, you ain't seen nothing that these ole' boys can't do and do better in many cases.

Scratch,

If you ever get the chance, check out Everett Bros. Music Barn up in Swanee Ga.

We've been several times with our crew of hardcore metalheads and they love it. The folks there are great and if you happen to play bring your guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandoline because even if you don't know how they'll pull you up a chair and teach you how. Super, Super, Super folks! You'll hear everything from blue grass to downhome gospel music. Never came away not having a goodtime with good people!

DS

Fenderbender
wkmac,I also love to play my guitar but I rarely get the chance.As you,I was into black sabbath and james gang way back then but I grew to love anything that gave me a chance to play.My friend and I learned every beatles song that didn't have a sitar,and loved to harmonize and do it all unplugged.I was young and stupid back then though and decided early in my life that I wanted a steady paycheck,and that I had to get a real job .So here I am a lowly ups driver when if I had've "hung in there" you could all be seeing `DS at Madison sqare garden.
lol
has anyone checked out leastbests website?he has some wild pickin' goin on in there. I'm done for now.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

I hate that game! :happy-very: We bought it and at times I've got to shut it off because instead of playing their real guitars they'll play GH. The worst is my 10 year old son who has an $800 Ibanez hanging on the wall in his room but it does inspire. He already knew Iron Man but now he knows War Pigs and he's gone on to learn several more off of GH so it does work in reverse too. I still wish he'd practice more. LOL!

Vols, you mentioned Roy Clark and it brought something to mind concerning guitar greats. In the early 70's I was living in NC and although we were longhaired, dope smoking, hippie types into everything from Pink Floyd to huge Black Sabbath fans we also loved blue grass. At the time there were numerous blue grass events called Fiddler's Conventions and one special place was called Love Valley NC and we'd go as often as we could. Some of the most knock your arse down, jaw dropping flat pickin' I ever saw was from these chicken pickin' guitarists.

There is a music store north of us near Canton Ga. that on the first and third Thursday's of the month have what they call a "pickin' party" where blue grassers from all around will show up and play around the store until sometimes near midnight. One night when I had to work country band Little Big Town who is from our area showed up for the fun and my wife and kids said they could pick and grin with the best of em too. I have seen them live and they are good. Many folks also bring a covered dish so the eatin' is good also. It's as much a social event as anything.

Working nights I only get to go when my vacation works out but my wife takes our guitarists up pretty often and the best part is the old timers who know their craft love to sitdown one on one with the youngsters and teach them their pickin' secrets. And you think the metal world has shredders, you ain't seen nothing that these ole' boys can't do and do better in many cases.

Scratch,

If you ever get the chance, check out Everett Bros. Music Barn up in Swanee Ga.

We've been several times with our crew of hardcore metalheads and they love it. The folks there are great and if you happen to play bring your guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandoline because even if you don't know how they'll pull you up a chair and teach you how. Super, Super, Super folks! You'll hear everything from blue grass to downhome gospel music. Never came away not having a goodtime with good people!
Reading your post makes me want to tune up my mountain dulcimer.
I play it rarely now.
PAX

wkmac

wkmac,I also love to play my guitar but I rarely get the chance.As you,I was into black sabbath and james gang way back then but I grew to love anything that gave me a chance to play.My friend and I learned every beatles song that didn't have a sitar,and loved to harmonize and do it all unplugged.I was young and stupid back then though and decided early in my life that I wanted a steady paycheck,and that I had to get a real job .So here I am a lowly ups driver when if I had've "hung in there" you could all be seeing `DS at Madison sqare garden.
lol
has anyone checked out leastbests website?he has some wild pickin' goin on in there. I'm done for now.

James Gang! Funk 49:peaceful: Oh yeah!

Speaking of the sitar, check this out. It's called a Chapman Stick.

Chapman Stick video - One Cloud

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Love the sitar clip but it doesn't sound like what you are use to as a sitar.
This clip brings back lots of good memories of concerts and people I wish I could have seen.
1 Hendrix ( I wish )
2 Clapton ( I wish )
3 Alvin Lee, Ten Years After ( I did)
4 Eddie Van halen ( 2 Times)
5 Carlos Santana ( I did )
The list goes on but it seems like the best came from awhile back. To bad there are not more who try to raise the bar and surpass these great musicians.
:rockon::punk::rockon::punk::rockon::punk:

Sammie

And least we not forget...

Mark Knopfler (the God of my Guitar Universe) :tt1:

Bo Diddley

Billy Gibbons

Nancy Wilson

Andrés Segovia

Duane Eddy

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

Taj Mahal