Why a 401(k) Will Yield You More Money Than a Pension

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Never did the 401K. Did stock.

Pension took $170K over 30 years and I didn't know it or feel it.
Going on 14 years and have received close to $500K so far.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don’t pretend to understand how actuaries calculate things, but I’m going to guess with a Pension, They are counting on a certain number of people never getting all the money put in the pension on their behalf. Obviously due to mortality and other issues as well. So I doubt 401(k) money would be matched dollar for dollar.
The money still get paid on behalf of the employee. No?

Brownslave688

Do companies that put money into employee's 401k's typically make allocation decisions for them?

No, obviously not.
Another scenario that makes no sense.
They company wouldn’t care at all anyway.

They will have paid their money to the employer and have zero responsibility after.

Do they allocate where our paychecks go?

I mean lol what?!?!?!

Up In Smoke

They company wouldn’t care at all anyway.

They will have paid their money to the employer and have zero responsibility after.

Do they allocate where our paychecks go?

I mean lol what?!?!?!
Correct, with a 401K plan, they write the check and lose control of it forever. The pension allows them to retain some ownership. Those who remember 97, will remember the company's push for full control.

Brownslave688

Correct, with a 401K plan, they write the check and lose control of it forever. The pension allows them to retain some ownership. Those who remember 97, will remember the company's push for full control.
No one is saying it’s likely the company just gives us all of that money in a 401k.

Just that in an ideal world it’s a better scenario.

How many choose to save nothing because they're counting on getting a pension check decades down the line?
Some of these people are going to be in for a big surprise.

If I didn't have retirement savings retirement wouldn't even be on my radar scope right now

But I would like to see some kind of a match to force people to save for themselves