Why did you stop being a contractor for FedEx?

barnyard

KTM rider
The truck is an automatic. Commercial toes are expensive down here too. You really think $300/wk? That's close to 16K a year in maintenance on a truck.

The truck that comes with it is old and getting up there in miles. 2000 International p1000 300k miles. I thought about buying a new truck with a warranty but if something happens I have to take it back to the dealership and they take forever. My diesel mechanic will drop a new crate engine and transmission in for 12k. Those engines come with a 3 year warranty so I don't have to take it to a dealership for problems.

According to your numbers above, if you put a reman engine and trans into the truck, you will have $4k left for all other maintenance and breakdowns. Oil change every 10-12k, oil and fuel filters, set of tires. How are the brakes???

New trucks do not guarantee reliability or availability either. We have had several of our new trucks out of the lineup with fuel pump issues. How much does it cost to rent a truck if yours is not available for delivery???

I think the last thing I would ask is: why is the turnover so high among route owners?

Pitch19

According to your numbers above, if you put a reman engine and trans into the truck, you will have $4k left for all other maintenance and breakdowns. Oil change every 10-12k, oil and fuel filters, set of tires. How are the brakes???

New trucks do not guarantee reliability or availability either. We have had several of our new trucks out of the lineup with fuel pump issues. How much does it cost to rent a truck if yours is not available for delivery???

I think the last thing I would ask is: why is the turnover so high among route owners?

The engine and trans would come out of my pocket and not out of the maintance account. I figured after that 10k a year should be enough to cover the oil, breaks, tires, ect... what are you seeing cost wise per truck a year on maintnace?

I assume there is a high turn over in routes due to owners finding it a headache and more work than they thought. I do a good amount of real estate investing and buy rental properties from landlords that found out it took more work then advertised to make decent money. I figured it was the same with these routes.

cancan

One ground owner I know of was sold his when he was a few hours from getting on a plane to Hawaii and got the news his driver quit and had to run the route or lose his hundred thousand dollar investment. The only way I would ever do it would be with cash and if I was prepared to run the route myself on any given day. I personally stick with real estate and build a portfolio of middle class neighborhood rentals. The roi is lower, but so is the hassle factor.