Will I win this Grievance...?

Hello everyone,

A route came on offer in my center and I never got a chance to bid on it because at the time I did not know about it and was covering a feeder job out of a different building.

When I returned to pkg (I am a combination driver), I was surprised to find out a driver with less seniority had won the route ( which I've always wanted to get some day).

Now, it is the duty of the center team to inform every driver, and they claim since I was away from the center that they called me to let me know and left me a message about the route. I am 100% sure I did not get such a call and I am planning on filing a grievance against them. But, I can't prove that they DID NOT call me. For some reason I cant figureout, my lousy cell phone carrier is unable to provide me a list of all incoming calls for the period they insist that they called me.

So, do you guys think I can win such a grievance, even though its my word againsts theirs. What sort arguement or persuassion could I use to convince them to give me a chance to bid for the route. Thank you kindly in this mattter ladies and gents.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Hello everyone,

A route came on offer in my center and I never got a chance to bid on it because at the time I did not know about it and was covering a feeder job out of a different building.

When I returned to pkg (I am a combination driver), I was surprised to find out a driver with less seniority had won the route ( which I've always wanted to get some day).

Now, it is the duty of the center team to inform every driver, and they claim since I was away from the center that they called me to let me know and left me a message about the route. I am 100% sure I did not get such a call and I am planning on filing a grievance against them. But, I can't prove that they DID NOT call me. For some reason I cant figureout, my lousy cell phone carrier is unable to provide me a list of all incoming calls for the period they insist that they called me.

So, do you guys think I can win such a grievance, even though its my word againsts theirs. What sort arguement or persuassion could I use to convince them to give me a chance to bid for the route. Thank you kindly in this mattter ladies and gents.

If they called you then then it should be on their phone records. If they can't produce them then you should win the grievance and the route should be rebid.

brownrodster

in one of my supplements it says if you are away from your center you have to tell your steward so the steward can notify you of any bids that come up...

S

speeddemon

As long as UPS posts the bid sheet for the required number of days, its up to you to see whats available.

Why wasn't the job posted in the other buildings? Same local, right? They're going to say the job was posted all over the local and it's your problem if you didn't see it.

Our local works different for some reason. Pkg routes can only be bid by drivers working out of the building they originate. Feeder on the hand is different, drivers are allowed to work in different buildings.

I think it depends on how its been handled in the past. Managment had always contacted anyone who was out when a bid came up . We got a new center manager who said it was the stewards responsibility to notify employees about upcoming bids . I grieved it under past practice along with a grievance for the driver who was denied the chance to bid. We won both.

wannabeups

Win a grievance your joking right? Lately @ the grievance hearings in KC Local 41. It has been like the Harlem Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals. With the UPS playing the role of the Harlem Globetrotters and the Union playing the part of the Washington Generals.

wannabeups

Seriously though, if you are a high seniority guy you stand a chance. If you are a low seniority guy might as well break out the KY gel cause they are gonna be able to tell what you had for breakfast.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Hello everyone,

It seems a lot of times the people who use their cell phones for UPS business stay pretty well informed as to what is going on. Not only talking with management, but networking with co-workers. Information seems to get out much more quickly than it used to. Not saying that is the case with you, but it is amazing what information people know about and what they claim to have no knowledge of. I hope it all works out for you.

^
Thanks. It did eventually work out and I finally managed to get the route after I was given a chance to bid for the route--needless to say, after alot of kicking and screaming.... :happy-very: