Will they really call me back

Let me make it clean, UPS will NEVER be able to promise you a job. They will ask you to come back for your 30 days but again that doesn't guarantee you a job. Your performance on new route might suck, you could get hurt or maybe even get into an accident which will DQ you. Again so just keep that in mind. You are not "in" until you make book and are in the union. After you are in the union then You are allow to hit other cars and keep your job.
Disqualified two new drivers the last two weeks. Couple more trying to qualify.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
4 outside driver hires at once, eh? LOL

Sounds like they want to keep you in the tank for seasonal driving and/or part time positions if they open up.
We hired 10 3 years ago. Management was told to hire 15 drivers and only 2 part timers wanted to drive.

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
We hired 10 3 years ago. Management was told to hire 15 drivers and only 2 part timers wanted to drive.

Same shiet over here. PTers always complaining how they don't make enough, but they lack the hustle to go out and do something about it. We're gonna be hiring a ton of drivers once they start running ground on Saturday but these folks are content with pulling in $250 a week.

ManInBrown

Time to put the big boy pants on. They (UPS) don't care if your living on the streets. This is a business and it's all about making the most amount of money no matter how many people get hurt on the way.

Best advise I can give you is for you to mentally tell yourself UPS will NOT be calling you back. This will prepar you for the worse. So based on that fact begin to move on with your life and look for other employment. Now if UPS does happen to call you back then great but if not at least you aren't sitting around at home doing nothing waiting for a call. You have a kid so not working isn't even an option.
Bingo. UPS couldn't care less about any of us. Not only that, I'll take it one step further. I can think of 1 or 2 drivers in my center, where if they died in a car wreck on the way to work. My center manager would be smiling on the inside. Sad but true

Box Ox

We did it last year

while you're probably right, in my district we have tons of outside hires because no one will sign the bid lists

Not only that but here, they keep who they like and send the other drivers to different buildings where no one wants to drive. The less desirable buildings

Same shiet over here. PTers always complaining how they don't make enough, but they lack the hustle to go out and do something about it. We're gonna be hiring a ton of drivers once they start running ground on Saturday but these folks are content with pulling in $250 a week.

They hired 4 at once here.

Thanks, all. It's strange to see FT bid lists so empty after they were so quick to fill up during the recession. But I can understand how a part timer with a decent side gig might see the days we drivers are putting in and want nothing to do with it.