Will UPS ever do away with preloaders?

illegalcourier

Just a question I'm posing. Do you think robots, or some future organizing system would be put in place that loads the trucks for drivers every morning? Do you think you'd like it better that way without human input?

Or what about drivers being replaced with self-driving delivery vehicles?

BrownTexas

Their best plan would be to circle packages around allowing a loader to load only 1 car at a time, Minimizing misloads. Once car A is loaded, he moves to car B and starts the process all over again. Still doing 3-4 cars.

rod

Retired 22 years
They got along without pre-loaders for years so someday some desk jockey will come up with the brilliant idea to go that route again----only because they have to come up with "brilliant ideas" to justify their existence.

HardknocksUPSer

If preloaders were done away with, there would be no way to gain seniority to drive, if no drivers, no packages are delivered, the union wouldn't let that fly, even if it were CLOSE to being possible, I can't imagine it being possible, so many things that only a human being can do that a robot or machine will never be able to do.

clean hairy

Just a question I'm posing. Do you think robots, or some future organizing system would be put in place that loads the trucks for drivers every morning? Do you think you'd like it better that way without human input?

How would these self driving delivery vehicles get the boxes out of the truck and to the recipient??

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.

Many processes at UPS have, can, and will be automated. However, packages can not load themselves, and packages can not deliver themselves. Preloaders and Drivers will still be around much longer than anyone old enough to read this post.

Just my firm belief.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Maybe 100 years in the future.

But we would then have technology to 3D print anything we ever needed and the delivery companies would be out of business.