Wish they'd printed on softer paper....

LKLND3380

I agree, this is a big sign I taped to the shelf of my car in the back, but of course the loader ignores it.

"Any package that is open, crushed, or leaking should not be loaded in this package car. If you would not want to see it at your front door, please do not load it in my car."

I have had a FT Preload Supe tell me to load a damage and the customer can file a claim. My job was to make sure the package is loaded in the proper car and in the proper loacation.

There was a roll of plastic about the size of a carpet roll maybe 12' wide. It came unrolled somewhere between the sort aisle and our belt. The FT/Supe decided to cut off the unrolled portion (15' to 20') and have it loaded...:sad-very:

Remember - If you are going to be disciplined for not following procedure, before you can be fired or separated from UPS - the management team would need to prove to a panel that you were trained and that you demonstrated that training and you were warned for not following the training. You should not be concerned until those steps have been taken.
Signing this piece of paper could be used as step number one.

What bothers me about all this is the inconsistency. They want us to sign a document that we have been told DO NOT LOAD OR DELIVER DAMAGED PACKAGES. Then if not the same day, the next day a preloader is told to load an obviously damaged package. Then when the the driver doesn't deliver the thing, they want to put it on our record for a service failure, or if the driver does deliver it, he/she is guilty of that. friend me runnin' friend me walkin'.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Signing this piece of paper could be used as step number one.

What bothers me about all this is the inconsistency. They want us to sign a document that we have been told DO NOT LOAD OR DELIVER DAMAGED PACKAGES. Then if not the same day, the next day a preloader is told to load an obviously damaged package. Then when the the driver doesn't deliver the thing, they want to put it on our record for a service failure, or if the driver does deliver it, he/she is guilty of that. friend me runnin' friend me walkin'.

but then you can just put it on the loader by saying "well it was loaded in my car damaged like that. i didn't damage it- blame the preloader." and then your loader gets in trouble and not you.
they are more likely to trust a drivers word than they are to trust a preloader because in general most preloaders don't give a crap. ive already been "talked to" about packages that drivers say were damaged in load. i denied loading all of them each time i was talked to about them. they trust my word a bit more because of my work ethic and also because i am a cover driver.

i realize that, trp. i like you and i believe you have some really good things to say and have been very helpful to me on some of my posts- but unfortunately thats the way it goes down in my center...
I can understand that happening, but it doesn't make it right. If a package gets damaged while in my possession I own up to it and have the clerks check it in my presence. I have asked preloaders why they loaded a damaged package, the answer is always " the sup told me to do it", I then ask the sup if he would want his package delivered to him in that condition. It usually gets re-wrapped right then or is taken off the car and marked as damaged.
I figure that preloaders actually damage very few packages, drivers don't damage very many, I think most is done in the trailers and and the belts/conveyors/slides.

ImpactedTSG

Since this is something they made up, you guys shouldn't have to leagally sign anything. If it's that big of a deal, put it in the next contract. If it's not in the current contract, I'd tell them to shove it up their................you get the idea.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
I cant take it anymore..................................
i read this almost daily and i see the bizzare crap you all put yourselves through. Well, Stop It.

You do not have to sign ANYTHING that is not TRAINING, period.

You do not TRAIN your preloader, thats not your job, period

You should not even be on the belt or in your car before start time

Start time is when the PCM starts, them 10 mins AM time and on the road

No going through the car looking for damages, thats done by the loader. You take out what is put in that car, and use your best judgment on area.

No signing for high values, You are not personally responsible for what is in that pkg car. Those vehicles are NOT secured before you enter them.

And You Do Not have to memorize anything (10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, etc.) All you must have to go on the road is a valid drivers license and a valid DOT physical, PERIOD.

My understanding with high values, is that you are only signing for them so they can have a paper trail in the system. I've only signed for what was handed to me. We used to have the customer sign a paper when we delivered it. In a larger center we would give them to a high value clerk who would sign for the high values we picked up at night. That was the extra handling we did to control the high values.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We had a new PCM today on damages. We were instructed to call/ODS all damages we had on car and we would be instructed as to what to do with them. We were told that all damage info had to be sent to LP before 5 pm. Damages were defined as any pkg having been crushed, had holes w/ contents sticking out, rattling (glass), etc.

john346

No more Brown!
You know, I've read the attachment 3 or 4 times and I honestly cannot understand the resentment and concern expressed here.

It seems clear and well stated.

Does anyone disagree with any point expressed within it?

It does NOT say that you would be held accountable for a damage in transit. It doesn't say to not tape up an open flap.

It says not to load or deliver a damaged package.

The memo documents that you were communicated with about this.

So, what's the issue? It seems reasonable and documents what is a good procedure.

P-Man
Again, it's the "Do as I say, not as I do" procedure at my center that bothers me. They want you to sign it then in the same moment the crushed, broken, ripped, bottom missing, rod protruding, oil leaking, box is waiting on your car for you. I've even had cases where I knew they were damaged in the past, finished opening them, and looked at the damaged contents, taped it up sent it back to the center as a damage, only to have it re-taped, and back at me the next day.
I'm sick of the games. If management really wants to address this, then re-read it, and take steps to make it happen. Be more strict and clear about what proper packaging is. Don't keyhole the drivers into a corner with this continual nonsense.
I am with you, I use my best descretion, and always have.
Why do we have to be sucked into "LYING" to fit their games? Half hour lunch, perfect service Monday missorts & their creative ways to sheet them. Now this on top.
Some of you are, or must be certainly fortunate to be able to actually feel cozy with management in your center to have no problem with this nomenclature. You probably actually get to take time out for a lunch, and only work a planned 8 every day. To you, you need to be happy, content, & feel blessed. Because that isn't the case at my workplace, last week my shortest day was 10.2 with two 11.98's (added more lunch time to these to keep em' under 12 because you gotta play the game, wink, wink, don't want to get written up right?). And EVERY day, at least one or more packages that as I'm approaching the door, mentally running through a plausable apology as to why their package looks as though I've backed the car over it should they come to the door to retrieve the box.