Witnessed the end of it all today

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Saw an old p-400 for sale on EBay
A few months ago

You could still make out the logo on the side it was the logo before the bow tie

Totally roached out starting bid was $1500 didn't see what it sold for

rod

Retired 22 years
This was my first package car all stripped down and ready to be sent to the crusher. I'll admit that I was a bit sad to see it go.View attachment 152503

See that rib running down the side at the top. I slide my P-800 into ditch during a major snow storm one time and ended up with the last foot or so of that rib up against a telephone pole. I said the hell with it and gunned the truck and eventually got out. It ended up bending that rib up about an inch for that foot. Never did report it. For years you could stand up at the top of the stairs in our building and that bent up rib stood out like a sore thumb but nothing was ever said about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Thought your first car was a model t

My first UPS vehicle was a 1966 Ford Flat Top Econoline. I drove it over to Fargo, North Dakota every night when UPS first started delivering to the Dakotas. Took my wife with me several times. (Good Times).

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2476.GIF
@burrheadd I'd like to have one of those and make it into a camper

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
While taking a load of aluminum cans into the recycle/scrap yard today I came out of the office just in time to see my old UPS truck (It was brand new when I got it in the mid 90's) being hauled in by a wrecker. All identification numbers and logos had been painted over but someone had spray painted the vehicle number on the side of it. (Probably so the wrecker guy would hook onto the right POS ) . I had to laugh at getting to witness its final trip. Adios you :censored2:.
The numbers are painted on to verify the identity of the vehicle as it gets put in the grinder from a distance. Usually on video.

rod

Retired 22 years
The numbers are painted on to verify the identity of the vehicle as it gets put in the grinder from a distance. Usually on video.

I can't imagine the center manager at my old center ( or any other management person) going to the local scrapyard to watch. First of all the grinder upper is way in the back of the scrapyard and NOBODY is allowed anywhere near it. Then there is the matter of the rest of the yard, other than the building that takes the aluminum cans and other small metals, is also off limits to the public. If they do get pictures of it actually being ground up they must have one heck of a spy camera-------Oh wait this is UPS---never mind.