Women in Combat roles

rod

Retired 22 years
One of the duties I was given when I first got to Veitnam before they sent me off to my assigned unit was :poop: detail. This consisted of dragging cut in half 55 gallon drums full of :poop: out of the 16 hole outhouse. After you got them about 20 feet away you dumped 5 gallons of diesel fuel in each drum an let it burn off. I don't recall seeing any gals being assigned that duty. In todays Army I would hope they would be. :wink2:

wkmac

One of the duties I was given when I first got to Veitnam before they sent me off to my assigned unit was :poop: detail. This consisted of dragging cut in half 55 gallon drums full of :poop: out of the 16 hole outhouse. After you got them about 20 feet away you dumped 5 gallons of diesel fuel in each drum an let it burn off. I don't recall seeing any gals being assigned that duty. In todays Army I would hope they would be. :wink2:

KKR has a multi-million dollar contract on that and they pay someone $100k plus per year, tax free of course, to do this. Regardless of it being female or not, the deeper question is why you got paid grunt pay and now someone gets more than what you made working as a UPS driver to do it?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
If the 200 pound plus is one of ours --I hope she can also carry him off the field of battle.

My kid responded to a call in which a severley overweight man( maybe 350+) fell down the stairs from a second floor onto a landing on top of his wife .Blood every where and a histerical trapped women. She was able to move the man, free his wife and ascertain the man was diceased before the emt's showed up. She also had the presence of mind and compassion to make the emt's stay and clean up the blood with her in the stairwell so upon returning the dead man's wife would not have to see it. just saying......

av8torntn

Just as an FYI, the first two women who volunteered for the Marine Infantry Officer course dropped out. It's a tough course (20% drop rate among the men) but not as tough as Ranger School. Maintain the standard and if/when a woman makes it through the course then she really will be qualified.

They're not going to maintain the standards. It may take longer to work it's way to the Marines Corps because it is a smaller force but at some point a politician will decide not enough females are graduating these schools and demand the standards be changed and they will be changed.

av8torntn

KKR has a multi-million dollar contract on that and they pay someone $100k plus per year, tax free of course, to do this. Regardless of it being female or not, the deeper question is why you got paid grunt pay and now someone gets more than what you made working as a UPS driver to do it?

In 2006 we had to burn the waste on the patrol bases. KBR was at the larger FOBs. Smelled something like someone cooking burgers on a grill.

rod

Retired 22 years
In 2006 we had to burn the waste on the patrol bases. KBR was at the larger FOBs. Smelled something like someone cooking burgers on a grill.

Apparently the military diet has also changed since 1969. :happy-very: What I was burning didn't smell anything like cooking hamburgers. When I was in the troops did EVERYTHING from KP to poop duty. It was a rare day that your name didn't appear on some "detail" list. About the only thing in the States that wasn't done by the troops was the laundry. But we had to ride around in the back of a deuce and a half on "laundry detail" and pick up everyones sack of dirty clothes and bedding and deliver it to the base laundry.

Last edited:

island1fox

My kid responded to a call in which a severley overweight man( maybe 350+) fell down the stairs from a second floor onto a landing on top of his wife .Blood every where and a histerical trapped women. She was able to move the man, free his wife and ascertain the man was diceased before the emt's showed up. She also had the presence of mind and compassion to make the emt's stay and clean up the blood with her in the stairwell so upon returning the dead man's wife would not have to see it. just saying......

P/T ,

Not looking for a battle with you --I know on some very important issues we think alike -such as Abortion.

I am not against giving Women the --so called --opportunity to be in Combat.

What I am concerned with ---we have seen it before --is the watering or dumbing down of standards.

In many of these cases --police, fire --whatever --We first state that ALL must have equal opportunity that all must qualify.

After a few years --there is not enough of a certain group ---standards are changed to meet quotas or match population numbers.

If we ever get to the point that the military must be 50% of combat women --there will be a problem.

No problem --meet standards --get the position.:peaceful:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
It happens all the time. Some one sues to bring the standards down and it happens. I would much rather have police trained from the surrounding communities than those from the city academy even though the city officers deal with more crime.I know of people who have attended both and stated that many of the canidates who made it through the Philly course could not make in the other academys. They have watered down the training to push certain people through.

island1fox

President Obama expressed concern about a non existent son Playing Pro Football.

His real concern should be for his real two female children --in COMBAT.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
President Obama expressed concern about a non existent son Playing Pro Football.

I firmly believe that President Obama has a very real concern for every man or woman serving not only in the Armed Forces, but also in State Dept roles around the world.

av8torntn

Apparently the military diet has also changed since 1969. :happy-very: What I was burning didn't smell anything like cooking hamburgers. When I was in the troops did EVERYTHING from KP to poop duty. It was a rare day that your name didn't appear on some "detail" list. About the only thing in the States that wasn't done by the troops was the laundry. But we had to ride around in the back of a deuce and a half on "laundry detail" and pick up everyones sack of dirty clothes and bedding and deliver it to the base laundry.

Times have changed.

Possibly a different fuel today.

Most details when I left were for E4 and below. Some were for E5 but rarely you would see and E6 or above do anything.

rod

Retired 22 years
Times have changed.

Possibly a different fuel today.

Most details when I left were for E4 and below. Some were for E5 but rarely you would see and E6 or above do anything.

I think its always been that way. The highest I got was E-4 (I was a draftee and we only had to serve 2 years active service.)
I should have been an E-5 but I had a minor screwup and was taken off the E-5 promotion list. Such is life. At the time I was devistated but now when I look back at it was no big deal. I hadn't planned on makiing the Army my carreer anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years

You have to be kidding. If WW3 broke out tonight and the draft was re-instated no way would his kids be drafted. His kids or any of the Washington D.C. politicians kids. They start the wars in Washington---they don't fight them.

island1fox

You have to be kidding. If WW3 broke out tonight and the draft was re-instated no way would his kids be drafted. His kids or any of the Washington D.C. politicians kids. They start the wars in Washington---they don't fight them.

Rod,

Sure tell all the past and present Politicians that have Children serving --both sides of the aisle---How about Vice Presidential Candidate Palin?--or Vice President Biden? or --look over the pond --the Helicoper Prince.

moreluck

golden ticket member
126638_600.jpg