Women

I have a scheduled tour next friday, and I'm sorta nervous. I am a woman, only 20 years old, but i can lift things 50 pounds or more. I do it at my current job right now, but i am just nervous at the fact that i dont wanna be judged or looked at with disrespect because i am a woman applying for a male dominated job. Anyone have advice on how i should cope with this? Should i even bother going for this tour friday or am i just wasting my time? .. Oh and by the way, i am touring for the drivers helper position.

I think you'll be suprised at how many women work for UPS at all levels. Because of the physical demands of the job men do outnumber women by a large margin, but that shouldn't discourage you. Any job you take with UPS is going to ask a lot. If you have a good work ethic and plan to work at UPS for the long term then you will benefit greatly. But, If you're just looking for temporary work you're wasting your time. You have to invest some time in UPS before you get any rewards.

badpal

dont worry as long as you can run up and drop a pkg on a front porch and run back to the truck in a hurry you can do it just show up and try everyday the driver will help with the heavies just tell him

wornoutupser

My best helper ever was a 20 year old female student lawyer with an IQ over 150.

What I would give to have her back!!!!!!!!!

Brownnblue

not to sound like a broken record (you remember those, right?) but one of my best helpers was a woman who weighed in at about 90 pounds. I don't think her IQ was 150, but she was tough as nails.

Don't be nervous, good luck to you.

wily_old_vet

I have a scheduled tour next friday, and I'm sorta nervous. I am a woman, only 20 years old, but i can lift things 50 pounds or more. I do it at my current job right now, but i am just nervous at the fact that i dont wanna be judged or looked at with disrespect because i am a woman applying for a male dominated job. Anyone have advice on how i should cope with this? Should i even bother going for this tour friday or am i just wasting my time? .. Oh and by the way, i am touring for the drivers helper position.

If you are hired just remember to bring a pair of sneakers with you. I have seen helpers come to work with dress shoes on. Carry them in a bag if need be but remeber you will be running all day long.

jlphotog

we go up to 150 lbs. Good luck.

Yes but we are not required to lift more than 70 lbs. So a 150 lbs. package takes three people to lift (yeah, right). I aways get the customer to help me with anything heavy. Not that I can't lift it but why should I kill myself when I am not required to do so.

My preloader is female and does a fantastic job. Off the top of my head I can think of 6 female drivers in our center. That is almost 10%. Yes that is low, but as stated above to job is very physically demanding.

dammor

If you want to you can. Many women make it here. The job is for anyone that can handle it. Give it your best and you will be fine.

helenofcalifornia

In a US Today article about UPS some years ago they stated that only 6% of the drivers are women. It's a tough job but if you start as a part-timer you can build up your strength gradually and learn the ropes. I don't see how a woman hired off the street could do the job with no prior UPS experience. Good luck and take lots of water. Hope the driver you are running for is cool.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most women quit because their husbands or boy friends don't like them working WAY after dark. I can't recall a women ever quitting because she couldn't handle the physical part.

rod

Retired 22 years
It may not sound right but that's what went on at my old center. More that one gal quit because her hubby got home at 5:30 and he was stuck with the kids and making supper and all the rest of that stuff while ma was out delivering until 8:00.

Deuce

from my experience at UPS it's more about attitude than ability. some of the better workers i have seen are smaller skinny guys and there is a 40 yr. old woman at my hub who has been a super loader. she puts guys half her age to shame and she is about 110lbs soaking wet.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you have a good work ethic it will go a long way

xkingx

why would you be looked at with disrespect:confused:1
Just dont go into this thinking that just because youre a young female, that you shouldnt have to pull your own..Ive survived 15+years. Pull your weight and youll do just fine..

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont think most men at UPS disrespect women, but they will direspect anyone who causes them to have to do more work, because they cant handle their share. As long as you do your share, it will be fine. No one minds helping someone at first, or even when someone is having a bad day. Just do your share, and it will all fall in line. The best jumper I ever had weighed about 100 pds, and she is now a permanent employee, although not a driver.