Work for UPS or USPS 2018 thoughts!

Heavy Package

I’m trying to get some input this is a hard choice for me because I want either to be my career I’m 27 and want to figure it out!

Honest answer: Both are good middle-class jobs that will keep you in the middle class for the rest of your life. If you get hurt, which is quite possible, the Postal Service would be more likely to be reasonable with you than UPS. UPS needs drastic changes to stay competitive where the postal service does not have as much pressure on them. Downside to postal service is weekend rotational work, but UPS is not far behind this route, either.

My vote: Go with the post office if you want a "career" doing this crap.

ASVP

If you want to make money, work long unappreciated hours, have your body beat up then UPS is the way to go. Postal service is catching up with UPS as far as technology is concerned but they won't brow beat you over performance like UPS does. The job as a mail carrier is a walk in the park compared to a UPS package driver.

Not true at all. What you guys aren’t understanding is that the mail volume may be light over the past decade but there are many factors in a general work day. Monday’s I usually had up to 10 trays of mail and thirteen feet or magazines/flat mail combined with approximately 60 parcels and 20 Amazon envelopes. The day is consumed because the mail in itself takes a while to separate due to different factors like multi families, removals, and holds. Plus the PO operates on a 7 day work period. The parcel count is what you guys look at but in reality it’s tough running mail and parcels.

Hoonstarr

Seems like most at UPS are telling me to get out while I still can! I even go it walking out of my last day of training guys asked if we were new drivers he said to do anything else but to work at ups that’s some pretty Intese :censored2: right there!

TG43

Not true at all. What you guys aren’t understanding is that the mail volume may be light over the past decade but there are many factors in a general work day. Monday’s I usually had up to 10 trays of mail and thirteen feet or magazines/flat mail combined with approximately 60 parcels and 20 Amazon envelopes. The day is consumed because the mail in itself takes a while to separate due to different factors like multi families, removals, and holds. Plus the PO operates on a 7 day work period. The parcel count is what you guys look at but in reality it’s tough running mail and parcels.

So you work hard 1 day a week, ok, got it.

Good point about being able to spend the first couple hours of every day in the nice warm or air conditioned office casing your mail though.

Just kidding. I know being a carrier is not an easy job.

I think anyone really contemplating which one to work at should consider two things:
1. Compare the size of the trucks each uses. Then ask themselves which place do you think will do more work? I used to think UPS trucks went out mostly empty before I worked there, wow was I wrong!
2. Compare how much each company profits. And ask which place you will work harder at. UPS constantly has to please their stock holders.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Most letter carriers don't even get out of the truck. just stuff the mail in the mailbox.
usps_mailbox_guidelines_modal.gif

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
That's not always true. For some reason they let certain areas have the mailbox at the front door, instead of on the street. Can't believe they still do that.
all new construction are now required to have a single mailbox for the whole subdivision at the end of the street. like an access point
Fairway_Group_Mailbox.jpg