Would you advise others to go to UPS as a career choice?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not a fan of physical labor? Forget this place buddy. Look at some of the older drivers. I would bet they are in their 40's and 50's. Do they look fat? Do you think they stay that way by diet and working out at the local gym? No way! That's all day exercise you are seeing.

Don't believe me? Now, look at the feeder drivers and you will see I am right.

Packmule

Not a fan of physical labor? Forget this place buddy. Look at some of the older drivers. I would bet they are in their 40's and 50's. Do they look fat? Do you think they stay that way by diet and working out at the local gym? No way! That's all day exercise you are seeing.

If I retire in a couple of years, I'll be dead in 5, just cause I can't get used to watching my diet!

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm 17, and have about 6 months seniority. I'm a loader. I plan to go to college but I'm not sure what I want to do. I wana have this job through college. I'm not a fan of physical labour but I'm sure if a 70k a year job was thrown in my face when I'm like 22 years old I would probably take it. What I'm asking is should i be a driver, or put my future degree to use? I plan to maybe go to the medical field, maybe a psychiatric nurse or something, but I'm not sure. The driver job seems decent though, and I got into UPS early. What would u do
No, go to college and do something else. Do anything else. I make good money but honestly it isn't fulfilling. I'm in feeders and it's a good job but package blows and you will be miserable. I'm a second generation UPSer and the line ends with me. I want my kids to do something they enjoy and not just do something because it has benefits and good money like I did.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

We have more and more fat guys in package. Coincidently these are often the "go homers".

scisector9

Would I recommend ups as a career? Depends on the individual. I have some friends and former co workers that could handle ups but they are few. If you like physical labor and don't have or want a degree ups could be a great gig for you. If you have book smarts and desire obtaining a degree in a GROWING FIELD OF STUDY by all means stay away from ups.

From your post op if you are going into medical field you should have no problem finding a promising career path that would probably provide you a better work life balance than brown at a similar pay rate.

My stupid ass got a degree in parks and rec and my field produced graduates 2:1 for available jobs and starting salary for a park ranger was around 34k in most places. Long story short I worked a few jobs outside my field until I was hired off street to drive at 30. For me I am a year in and feel fortunate to be where I am. I might be in the minority on here but I enjoy my job for the most part. Would I feel the same way if my pay and future compensation and benefits were that of fed ex? Maybe not but for the benefits and future pay I will receive I feel fortunate. I think some people I work with that have come up on the system take it for granted but I do not. Yet...

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

I'm 17, and have about 6 months seniority. I'm a loader. I plan to go to college but I'm not sure what I want to do. I wana have this job through college. I'm not a fan of physical labour but I'm sure if a 70k a year job was thrown in my face when I'm like 22 years old I would probably take it. What I'm asking is should i be a driver, or put my future degree to use? I plan to maybe go to the medical field, maybe a psychiatric nurse or something, but I'm not sure. The driver job seems decent though, and I got into UPS early. What would u do

Just remember what ever you do don't burn bridges because once you do you not going back that way ever again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My ex is an RN and she makes more than I do.
That's really rare. Is she a travel nurse? Head nurse? Or work an ass load of OT?

Nursing pay can vary drastically from area to area. Around here your average night shift nurse is lucky to hit 40k unless they work weekends or pick up OT.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's really rare. Is she a travel nurse? Head nurse? Or work an ass load of OT?

Nursing pay can vary drastically from area to area. Around here your average night shift nurse is lucky to hit 40k unless they work weekends or pick up OT.

She is not a traveling nurse---they make a boat load of money as they are paid per diem.

Toward the end of our marriage we were pulling in $140K combined.

She works close to Boston and makes more per hour than I do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
She is not a traveling nurse---they make a boat load of money as they are paid per diem.

Toward the end of our marriage we were pulling in $140K combined.

She works close to Boston and makes more per hour than I do.
Yeah I love my wife and enjoy seeing her most days. Per diem in her field pays minimum $1000 a day. For that I would gladly let her travel all over. Lol

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
sounds like you know what you want to do keep working part time and start going to college asap. ask drivers in your building they will tell you the same thing. and don't concern yourself with going driving other than saturday air or utility stuff.