Your Mailbox Could Be Opened Up To Private Carriers

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Your Mailbox Could Be Opened Up To Private Carriers - NPR

By law, only you and the U.S. Postal Service are allowed to put things in your mailbox. But what if companies like FedEx and UPS could do it too?

That could happen under a recommendation by the Trump administration.

A White House task force said in December that USPS should "explore franchising the mailbox as a means of generating revenue."

The Postal Service could use the cash.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
From the article:

"But some say the Postal Service and other companies are beyond comparison. A majority of Americans trust the agency more than any other. For one, letter carriers are beloved by the communities they serve."

If you click the link, it takes you to results of a survey that measures public opinion of federal agencies. It doesn't compare the post office to other carriers. In my experience most of the public don't even know there are different delivery services.

Box Ox

This is just another case of something really stupid sounding really good to folks who have never done the job on the ground.

Mailboxes filled with packages cannot be filled with actual mail. Would not be a good time for the USPS or its customers. Maybe the mail carriers pulls the packages out of the box and tosses them on the street to make room. Maybe they just don't deliver the mail at all.

And it might open up delivery companies to a whole new level of liability. UPS delivered on "X' day and the customer is missing a bill, a paycheck etc from their mailbox that they saw coming in via USPS Informed Delivery email on the same day.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Amazon cans (garbage cans) in front of every house. We will be driving busses, two helpers in the back sorting the packages and chucking them into the cans.

Box Ox

Amazon cans (garbage cans) in front of every house. We will be driving busses, two helpers in the back sorting the packages and chucking them into the cans.

I'd enjoy watching package thieves driving around with fishing nets extended from the sides of their cars.

Cartero

This is just another case of something really stupid sounding really good to folks who have never done the job on the ground.

Mailboxes filled with packages cannot be filled with actual mail. Would not be a good time for the USPS or its customers. Maybe the mail carriers pulls the packages out of the box and tosses them on the street to make room. Maybe they just don't deliver the mail at all.

And it might open up delivery companies to a whole new level of liability. UPS delivered on "X' day and the customer is missing a bill, a paycheck etc from their mailbox that they saw coming in via USPS Informed Delivery email on the same day.
The book solution, which letter carriers rarely enforce, is to seize the piece and take it back to the station and let revenue protection slap a postage due on it. Most however will just let the piece drop on the ground once we see that it is not outgoing mail.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Yeah, this could NEVER work. There is absolutely NO possible way to solve this problem!
images.jpg