Your Next UPS Driver Could Be a Robot

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Your Next UPS Driver Could Be a Robot - The Global Dispatch

It seems technology changes are accelerating faster than ever before. In the last 10 years there’s been a digital revolution followed now by burgeoning artificial intelligence breakthroughs. One industry that has been impacted more than most by recent tech advances is transportation and related services. Companies like Uber and Lyft have redefined how people get from point A to point B. These innovative firms have also shaken up taxi and shuttle services around the U.S. that remained stable for decades.

Now, technological change is again targeted at the massive delivery and transportation markets. In the next two decades you will see self-driving UPS and FED EX trucks all over. While many people are not surprised by that prediction, there’s another major breakthrough coming that might surprise you.

A recent tech start-up based in South San Francisco called Dispatch is working on cutting edge technology that could put many workers in the delivery field out of work permanently. Huge staples in the American economy like U.S. postal workers, couriers, Federal Express and UPS drivers could be dramatically impacted. This means millions of good paying jobs may go the way of the robot.

RPSman

This is horse hockey. What would a robot do if they encountered a situation such as I did at RPS. I was supposed to drive down this county road that deadended, driver release a package at the gate, which I did. However there was high brush on both sides of the gate, nowhere to turn around. I had to back 2 miles down this road (last mile was more like a two lane cowpath) with a creek on one side, and an overhanging cliff on the other side. Tell me that a robot is going to be able to do that. Not likely! They were prophesying drone delivery also. There are still factors that require a human being, being in operation of the delivery. They have used robots for inter office delivery in hospitals, but they are rolling on smooth floors there.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it's coming folks......it's coming. they poopooed auto mobile also when they said it would take the place of the horse. thousands of other examples.

wake up.