110 year sentence for truck driver....see?

Btw, I received 2 days "training" and took my State driving test the 3rd. Had never even looked inside a tractor.

Was instructed about lower gearing on grades and such. No driving instruction. No practice.

Went sleepers and NEVER received any formal training....matter of fact not a word. Told to report an hour early my first day of sleepers to find out about HOW TO DO SLEEPERS....absolutely true.

Turned loose on every road in America. Any mountain road was possible.

I think this style of management is at least stupidly negligent.

And if I crashed and burned down mountain road....? Would be some great questions there.....about training....experience.

We don't have "mountains" around here.
This is quality. Informative, enlightening, and doesn't appear to be coming down from an ivory tower. All great points and relevant anecdotal substance.

Well done, this is the second post I've actually really enjoyed from you.

Whither

Scofflaw
Went sleepers and NEVER received any formal training....matter of fact not a word. Told to report an hour early my first day of sleepers to find out about HOW TO DO SLEEPERS....absolutely true.

Turned loose on every road in America. Any mountain road was possible.

I think this style of management is at least stupidly negligent.

And if I crashed and burned down mountain road....? Would be some great questions there.....about training....experience.
Yes, that sounds like the US trucking industry. We already know that unionized trucking companies only make a show of caring about "safety" while exerting pressure to work unsafely and/or accept unsafe work conditions, so it's easy to imagine how the "rat" shops approach it. And in this thread we see union drivers laying the blame solely at the door of the driver, even demanding the death penalty, not asking any questions about the company the driver worked for.

Yes, that sounds like the US trucking industry. We already know that unionized trucking companies only make a show of caring about "safety" while exerting pressure to work unsafely and/or accept unsafe work conditions, so it's easy to imagine how the "rat" shops approach it. And in this thread we see union drivers laying the blame solely at the door of the driver, even demanding the death penalty, not asking any questions about the company the driver worked for.
I get your point and perspective, but the company is irrelevant to me, it's action and consequence. I know a guy who heard there was a "no pursuit" policy in place so he decided to run from the cops one night. He hit and killed a lady. I understand the circumstances are different, but the basis is similar. A long series of poor choices lead to the unnecessary death of innocent people. Neither intended for this, but it happened and there are consequences. The sentencing laws in Colorado make it worse, but it is what it is. Put your wife in one of those coffins and ask yourself who could've made a difference that day.

I appreciate your perspective, but that's just how I see it.

quad decade guy

Hes right, but....Brake loss doesn't have to be by air or hydraulic loss, if you "overcook" the brakes they get too hot and become useless, you can put it to the floor and get nothing. The tractor/trailer uses the same pads/shoes for emergency braking, so if he burned them off there would be no failsafe.
Yes. They are called spring brakes. No air, the spring applies the brakes. This is why FDR brakes lock up when you pop an air line.
My dad (RIP) told me airs have a failsafe where air loss stops the truck. I think he's lying
The pads/shoes literally grind away to nothing....burning them off I guess. "Riding" the brakes it is called. Low gear let's you alternate application(brakes) allowing them to cool. We also have engine braking(not all) as a third tool. That should get you through.

We are warned of impending grades and to shift to lower gears PRIOR to descending. The perp may not have been able to get it in a lower gear. Thus "freewheeling". A lot of folks just can't stand going 20mph anywhere. I do not know what the case is here. Lot's of possibilities. Auto trans solely depend on the shift mechanisms. Not sure about what equipment the perp had.

quad decade guy

I get your point and perspective, but the company is irrelevant to me, it's action and consequence. I know a guy who heard there was a "no pursuit" policy in place so he decided to run from the cops one night. He hit and killed a lady. I understand the circumstances are different, but the basis is similar. A long series of poor choices lead to the unnecessary death of innocent people. Neither intended for this, but it happened and there are consequences. The sentencing laws in Colorado make it worse, but it is what it is. Put your wife in one of those coffins and ask yourself who could've made a difference that day.

I appreciate your perspective, but that's just how I see it.
I agree except the question of equipment. Low budget maintenance and all the rest can be attributed to the "company". Or a big budget company(like ours) and shoddy maintenance....can be contributing factors....like in an airplane crash.

I agree except the question of equipment. Low budget maintenance and all the rest can be attributed to the "company". Or a big budget company(like ours) and shoddy maintenance....can be contributing factors....like in an airplane crash.
None of that changes the fact that he knew his brakes were shot and he bypassed the runaway ramp.

Then why the jealousy?

Why the personal attack?

Why are your posts more informative and interesting? Your point of view? I never say such of mine.....

So odd...
No personal attack, just an overly-animated interpretation of how you come off. Your words are important to you and it's important to you to get them out there. You're condescending, even if you feel you're not.

Everybody can't be wrong.

nWo

He turned down several plea deals. He was only willing to accept a traffic citation. 110 seems excessive but he did kill 4 people. Maybe just deport him and let his home country figure out what to do with him.

He turned down several plea deals. He was only willing to accept a traffic citation. 110 seems excessive but he did kill 4 people. Maybe just deport him and let his home country figure out what to do with him.
110 years was handed down and was the minimum sentence he could receive because of sentencing laws in Colorado. Excessive or not, he for the minimum.

Poop Head

Judge me.
True enough. I will say those ramps are pretty severe looking and come up quick. Again, I don't know exactly what happened. He might have gambled on riding it out. I'm sure that happens all the time.
Idk. What kinda idiot would purposely try to "ride out" a runaway down a mountain pass? My guess is that hes just saying that his brakes failed at whatever point. How the hell do you get up to 85 if you had the truck in a proper gear for the grade? Maybe it was an auto? Idk.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
You don't really "grind off" the pads until there is nothing. You have them heated to the point that they aren't creating friction anymore and you start freewheeling. As the brakes heat up they get softer and softer as far as the pressure you physically feel through your foot with the brake pedal. That peddle just keeps inching further and further towards the floor board. You hit a point of no return with hot brakes.
Going down hill also, doesn't matter the speed so much when shifting, if your RPMs are up near 1500 or higher and you take it out of gear, you are not getting it back in without slowing down significantly to back the rpm down, and if you have soft brakes, you can't do that. Of course this is a standard transmission, I don't know how an auto acts with brake fade.
I'm not defending this guy, but I'd imagine he was in full panic mode not even sure what was happening. It's one hell of a feeling when that pedal starts getting soft and the next couple of things you do had better be the right choices or you are going to be in a bad to worse situation fast.
One of the worst things about run off ramps is that people in 4 wheelers like to pull off the road right in front of them. No idea if that may have been in play here. Again not defending the guy, he absolutely :censored2:ed up. His company :censored2:ed up. Innocent people died and were hurt.

One day at a time

Yes. They are called spring brakes. No air, the spring applies the brakes. This is why FDR brakes lock up when you pop an air line.

The pads/shoes literally grind away to nothing....burning them off I guess. "Riding" the brakes it is called. Low gear let's you alternate application(brakes) allowing them to cool. We also have engine braking(not all) as a third tool. That should get you through.

We are warned of impending grades and to shift to lower gears PRIOR to descending. The perp may not have been able to get it in a lower gear. Thus "freewheeling". A lot of folks just can't stand going 20mph anywhere. I do not know what the case is here. Lot's of possibilities. Auto trans solely depend on the shift mechanisms. Not sure about what equipment the perp had.
Could he read English?the signs mean nothing if you can’t read them.