Best dog advice for a new guy?

HFolb23

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I love all dogs and really don't fear any dogs. I have two of my own and my pitbull mix is the sweetest girl I've ever had. Unfortunately I know I'll run into an agressive canine sooner than later and would like to have some information before that happens.

I just started driving and my new route for peak is a very rural route. I live in a mountainous region and as such a lot of my residentials are walk-offs because the driveway is either too steep to get a package car into or there's no room to turn around. Because this is such a rural route fenced yards are basically unheard of and most of the dogs that are outside are on invisible fences if anything. Most driveways are long enough or wooded enough that I cannot see the house from the road, meaning 99% of the time the dog sees/hears me before I notice it. It also means that I'm usually a few hundred feet from the refuge of my package car and I like the dogs chances of running me down before I make it back to it.

How do you guys handle invisible fences/no fence?
When I can't see the house I always sound the horn when I stop the truck, try to kick my feet as I walk, and shout UPS as I start up the driveway but not sure if that really does anything. Do you guys ever just leave the package outside the invisible fence?

At what point do you go into defensive mode?
I had a Doberman slip it's collar and run across the street at me today. Diad cocked back and ready to swing when the owner screamed "No don't she's friendly she just wants a treat". I know not to trust the "it's friendly" claim but thankfully the dog stopped and started wagging her tail before it got to lunge distance. If she'd come about 3ft closer she was going to catch a Diad to the chin. The owner admitted that she's been hit with the Diad or package a few times in the past from doing the same thing but never bitten anyone.

What are the rules in terms of defending yourself from an animal?
I know safety is first and the last thing I want to do is strike an animal but if it needs to be done in defense I don't want to wind up getting in trouble for it. I'm sure UPS has a protocol or method for this.

Here's one last one that I'm sure is a bit odd, what's the regulations on bears?
I've only been on the route a few days but I've seen bear tracks in several driveways and one customer told me him and his neighbors have seen bears on their property frequently in the last few weeks. I've hunted my entire life and know I need to be more concerned with the dogs than the bears but was just curious what the best way is to handle them. Every bear I've ever seen has been running away from me but asking as a just in case scenario.

I'm going to be asking some of the senior guys in my building these same questions but any advice you can give this rookie will be much appreciated.

WorknLateHuh

That's a lot of reading there, but since you have dogs, you'll know what I mean when I say...

Getting a read on a dog is probably the most important thing, after you make your presence known imo.

Some of the worst dogs are the ones that just stare at you, not blinking, not moving, just nothing. You throw a biscuit and they just stare at you, maybe because they're thinking "you are the biscuit". lol

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If there's a dog or might be one I'm not getting out of the truck. End of story. Have customers complain all of the time. Tough :censored2:. I ain't getting bit.

BrownTexas

If it's a difference between them getting the package and me possibly getting bit. I'm staying in the truck or just leaving the pkg at the end of the driveway.

Indecisi0n

just wait until you see the half naked wife at home

Or husband. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If the house is that far out carry a whistle to sound before walking up the driveway. Never run from a dog, stand your ground. 99% of the time the dogs going to be able to out run you so I'd rather take him head on then him get me in the rear.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Never turn your back to an aggressive dog.
Only dog that ever bit me was all smiles while I walked towards him. As soon as I turned my back to go back to the PC he bit me in the ass. Turned back to smack the little :censored2:, and he's all smiles again. Sneaky little bastard playing games with me.

Never turn your back on any dog.

ITwannabe

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I love all dogs and really don't fear any dogs. I have two of my own and my pitbull mix is the sweetest girl I've ever had. Unfortunately I know I'll run into an agressive canine sooner than later and would like to have some information before that happens.

I just started driving and my new route for peak is a very rural route. I live in a mountainous region and as such a lot of my residentials are walk-offs because the driveway is either too steep to get a package car into or there's no room to turn around. Because this is such a rural route fenced yards are basically unheard of and most of the dogs that are outside are on invisible fences if anything. Most driveways are long enough or wooded enough that I cannot see the house from the road, meaning 99% of the time the dog sees/hears me before I notice it. It also means that I'm usually a few hundred feet from the refuge of my package car and I like the dogs chances of running me down before I make it back to it.

When I can't see the house I always sound the horn when I stop the truck, try to kick my feet as I walk, and shout UPS as I start up the driveway but not sure if that really does anything. Do you guys ever just leave the package outside the invisible fence?

I had a Doberman slip it's collar and run across the street at me today. Diad cocked back and ready to swing when the owner screamed "No don't she's friendly she just wants a treat". I know not to trust the "it's friendly" claim but thankfully the dog stopped and started wagging her tail before it got to lunge distance. If she'd come about 3ft closer she was going to catch a Diad to the chin. The owner admitted that she's been hit with the Diad or package a few times in the past from doing the same thing but never bitten anyone.

I know safety is first and the last thing I want to do is strike an animal but if it needs to be done in defense I don't want to wind up getting in trouble for it. I'm sure UPS has a protocol or method for this.

Here's one last one that I'm sure is a bit odd, what's the regulations on bears?
I've only been on the route a few days but I've seen bear tracks in several driveways and one customer told me him and his neighbors have seen bears on their property frequently in the last few weeks. I've hunted my entire life and know I need to be more concerned with the dogs than the bears but was just curious what the best way is to handle them. Every bear I've ever seen has been running away from me but asking as a just in case scenario.

I'm going to be asking some of the senior guys in my building these same questions but any advice you can give this rookie will be much appreciated.
You know that little shovel they give you during peak to dig yourself out if you get stuck? Carry it with you....Has worked wonders for me.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
We never had a shovel either. But we sure could've used it for many of the PCMs.
We did have a guy who would take his hand cart along if he thought he needed an advantage. Some drivers love to use treats, some refuse to use them.

Through the years I always relied on getting better at reading the dogs demeanor. Anything questionable became a send again, and I'd have the clerk call them. Also, if I was surprised by a dog (honk of course, call out UPS or hello there, rattle gate etc) that was hiding, and then became grouchy, I just let them chomp on the end of the diad. This really worked better when the diad was 5 times bigger than it is now.
I've used treats and had great luck with that, I've also had dogs silently ignore them and then lunge at me. Those dogs got, kicked, whacked, yelled at or a combo. That was my last line of defense though.
A bad dog is never as bad as 2 or more at the same time. That you definitely want to avoid at all costs. No pkg is worth a dog bite. When in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Overpaid Union Thug

Hello all,

The Company of Animals Pet Corrector Training Aid 50 ml

ITwannabe

What is this shovel you speak of?
In our center drivers who run rural country routes were given these short shovels a few years ago. Just in case you get a little stuck. They are about 3ft long. Pretty much like a baseball bat. They work great for dogs. Most dogs I've seen run from you if you swing it at them. And the ones who don't are quick to learn. I don't like hitting dogs but you gotta do what you gotta do.