2008 Contract Issues

Braveheart

I'm for a 3 year contract no hourly pay increase just a cost of living increase and dump all the money in health and wellfare and pension. I'll worry about pay increase in 3 years. I'll also take third week vacation after 5th year instead of 10th. Also we mechanics deserve more of a tool allowance. $300 doesn't buy a full set of wrenches anymore. How about a night differential also.
We put in that extra week of vacation at 5 years in our proposal! Great Idea!

Braveheart

In addtion to what you have said, braveheart, we need language for art. 22.3 people. Right now there is no language whatsoever for art. 22 people which means that the company pretty much makes up the rules as they go along. we were not aloud to work overtime and super saturday last peak season. Fortunately we filed a greivence for Super Saturday based on past parctice, and won it, but if that had been in the contract the company would not have had to pay us back pay.

brown bear
I agree you guys deserve more contract improvements. The right to OT and an actual job description so you are not bounced around building like their bitch. OT on another shift, air help, driver helper, etc etc

Braveheart

I am curious with the penalty language you are paid extra time not earned if UPS makes a mistake would you be willing to pay an extra say 4 hours penalty if you did make the mistake? its a fair question don't you think?
Penalty pay is to reduce manadatory OT on one level to increase family time. As for the pay check/grievance errors, management has 2 business days plus even Saturday air if need be to correct with no penalty if it is more than $30. If it is less they have a week with which to correct with no penalty. Are you saying there should be no accountability for managers/payroll daepartment screw ups.?! We do have penalties. A=WL,SUSP W/O PAY, TERMINATION AND IF YOU COME BACK USUALLY NO BACK PAY! B=BAD COD COLLECTION/DRIVER RELEASE MEANS PAYROLL DEDUCTION OR SEE FIRST ANSWER C= ACCIDENT SEE FIRST ANSWER You see we do pay for our mistakes. If we steal from the company we get fired. If a manager steals from your paycheck it is business as usual. That is why there is a penalty. How about UPS admitting when a manager makes a mistake he gets a WL and the company makes whole with no penalty, then on the second one he pays out of his salary to the employee, on the third he pays and is suspended, then on the forth he pays double and suspended double, then on fifth he is fired and company pays triple. You see nice, fair, even, progressive discipline that does not cost the company a dime until the manager screws up FIVE times. Seal it with spit or it don't mean :censored2:. Shake on it?

Braveheart

Ever see a hand cart come flying through an open bulkhead door? I saw one that almost ripped a drivers arm off his shoulder. You sure we are nit picking?
Not doing 25 miles an hour in a resi area it won't. And we smart ones bungie them down. How come sometimes, when it benefits the company anything goes. Seatbelt broke, keep working, metal spike in tire, keep working, cracked windshield, keep working, back full, put airs in cab and keep working. A things are double standard around here. B only those who stand up for their rights get attacked which is wrong period. C if one screws up one should get written up even if he is a teachers pet! If you let him slide you let us all slide, fair is fair! I see managers break every rule in book, door open, poor DRs, speeding, no seatbelt etc etc

N

nkprescott

Hey tieguy! Anyone who enhances thier identity with the title of
dictator is somebody whom would lack complete credibility! I cannot
in all recorded history recall a single dictator that was of good
character.

nhguy! There you go again, do you truely belive that the plan day
is accurate?????????? All the members of management I've worked
for the past 10 years off the record confess that the planned is sorely
undervalued. I hope that you do not consider all drivers fitting into
your stated catagory. Many drivers throughout this country and
beyond would be very offended or in your mind are all drivers who
don't measure up to the mythical plan day all underperforming.

nospinzone

Also if the APWA gets us out of this multi employer pension crap that is sucking up our pension why should we have to give more then than we do now?

You won't. In my opinion/understanding of the APWA's plan,,,,The current contribution rate will remain in place. The APWA pension fund will be near 100% funded because your contributions will go towards your retirement as opposed to the current plan where 60% of your money goes to some other guy. Thus no need to garnish your pay raise. And to back that up, Van and Danny have been talking to pension fund managers who will provide online tracking of your pension benefits down to the dollar. You will be able to track your individual contributions and see the actual math used to calculate your benefits. Following the NLRB election victory, APWA will then take legal action to take control of the monies/contributions of all active UPS employees who contributed into the IBT plans. When the dust settles, one of two things will happen.

1) The federal judge will give APWA control of all monies contributed on behalf of UPS employees. Since the contributer to retire-ee ratio will be so high (because the fund will only be paying out to UPS contributers) there will be no need to sacrifice your raise. Benefits of retired UPS employees will be guaranteed by UPS's federal legal responsibility to keep the IBT funds solvent.

2) The federal judge will deny APWA's request and APWA will only control contributions deposited by UPS on behalf of active employees--after the election date/agent transfer date. The new APWA pension fund would have few if any liabilities in terms of retirees, and therefore the need to sacrifice the raise would not be present. UPS corporates responsibility to maintain the solvency of the IBT pension funds would become a federal legal one rather than an obligation under a union contract. Thus you would not have to give up your raise to secure the IBT pension funds.

Hope that answers more questions than it makes.
Nospinzone:cool:

rngri4

Attention to detail there SIR!, read my post again. I suggested the difference between the gross military income and 8 hours pay per day.

To your other points, nowhere in the USERRA laws does it state that your employer has to give you pay while away in the service of the uniformed services. I don't receive any pay from UPS while I'm away for A/T or gone to military school, and I was told that I would only get the "compensation pay" if I were activated directly in support of "The Global War on Terror", and that pay would only be in effect for one year, in what is normaly an 18+ month deployment.
I have never heard of this "X amount of days military leave" that you are writing about, if I get orders to go somewhere then I'm going, and USERRA law states that UPS "holds my job" as long as I meet the requirements under the law. Now there is a part of USERRA that has a five year cumulative service stipulation, but that is for someone that is employed somewhere and joins the active component of the Armed Services and wishes to return to the same place of employment when their military service is complete.

Sir,if the laws you wrote about actually do exist please post them here so I will be able to get my UPS pay for A/T last month and in the future.

I understand that the law doesn't obligate UPS to pay me anything while I'm gone, but at the same time the law only requires UPS to pay $5.15/hr and that's why I put the words "like to see".

With my military pay and allowances for food and housing, at my pay grade, we are not talking about a whole lot of money, if any. If UPS could get some good PR out of giving me a little extra, you could bet those dollars that they would be grinning from ear to ear when they gave me the check. I'll get off my soapbox now, but one last thing. I'll still put on my "browns" tomarrow and work hard for the company and I'll still wear the uniform of my country as long as GOD will allow me, but there is only one of those two that I would do for NO money at all. MAY GOD BLESS US ALL!

All guard and/or reserve members are entitled I believe, I can't find my manual now, but I think it is three paid weeks of military leave, that you can use as you please, when you get orders, whether it be the annual two weeks or what. The employer has to honor that, and UPS pays me my time whenever I bring in the orders, after that times runs out, they are obligated to make up the difference in pay. Now, I will admit, it may be different for you since you are contractual, and I am not, since I am in management, and my military pay is actually more than my UPS pay when I am called to active duty...however they are still obliged to give you again I think it is 3 full weeks of pay. I will check it out, and thanks again for your service to your country, and if you want to argue pay, I will argue for any enlisted man any day...they don't get nearly enough, active duty or reserve, the military provides our country with some of the most underpaid heroes in our country.

hoser

Industrial Slob
From what we have heard there is every indication the contract talks will start early for 2008. What the biggest issues you want to resolved for the new contract. I , personally want to see strong wordage in the over 9.5 clause , if the company wants to sent us with 10 hour dispatches , why not make then pay double time for everything past 9.5. How about reducing lunch to thirty minutes instead of 1 hour.
I think the hour lunch is a DOT thing...

trickpony1

"....I think the lunch hour is a DOT thing."

Nice try.........

Why don't you quote the precise DOT language that says that.
I am almost sure the labor agreement references lunch hour.

If you don't mind me asking....are you in management?

My guess is............yes.

rngri4

Nice try.........

I don't know about this one Trick, but I think that an hour lunch is either DOT or Dept of Labor law that says for x amount of hours worked you have to take an hour lunch. I want to say it's dept of labor, but I will check and let everyone know tomorrow.

hoser

Industrial Slob

Nice try.........

Guy, relax. And your guess based on a hypothesis is wrong, like man things you say or do. I said "I THINK".

I work in Canada and Transport Canada mandates a 1 hour lunch when driving for that long. And being that TC doesn't require a medical, I doubt DOT would be as lenient. Plus it's probably a labour law. Regardless, you'd whine about a 30 minute lunch, so it's a no-win situation.

3brownstars

All guard and/or reserve members are entitled I believe, I can't find my manual now, but I think it is three paid weeks of military leave, that you can use as you please, when you get orders, whether it be the annual two weeks or what. The employer has to honor that, and UPS pays me my time whenever I bring in the orders, after that times runs out, they are obligated to make up the difference in pay. Now, I will admit, it may be different for you since you are contractual, and I am not, since I am in management, and my military pay is actually more than my UPS pay when I am called to active duty...however they are still obliged to give you again I think it is 3 full weeks of pay. I will check it out, and thanks again for your service to your country, and if you want to argue pay, I will argue for any enlisted man any day...they don't get nearly enough, active duty or reserve, the military provides our country with some of the most underpaid heroes in our country.

Whatever information you can find out would be appreciated. I still can't find any information in USERRA that obligates UPS to pay anything while I'm gone. Does your user name have anything to do with that black and gold tab?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Ok , then you also bungie down the packages that could come flying through the door at 25 miles an hour which would be fast enough to kill you?
who keeps their cargo door open while driving and or leaving their package car unattended? :ohmy:

hoser

Industrial Slob
You have got to be kidding, are you that ignorant?
not the passenger doors, the cargo door between the cab and the cargo area. i always keep it closed, last thing i want is a box of textiles going through the door when i brake hard.

oh yeah, but keeping it closed costs me 2 seconds per stop, even if i take 3 sets of keys, one of which stays in the cargo door keyhole when i'm driving.