22.4 Layoff

ttdft

22.4 here been driving a little over a year and last week they hit me and 8 other 22.4s with a layoff. They stated we lost ours 8/hour guarantee as well as our driver pay when going back to the hub. From what I understand this is not breaking contract. But we are still working our Saturday bid routes and being called in the day before to cover RPCD bid routes. In this way is the contract being broken? They basically said we don’t need you but we’re going to use you when we please such as Saturday’s and when guys call in.

Taking a 6.50 pay cut along with a 15 hour cut is going to screw us guys. We’re hoping we can find a way to get our 40 hour week back along with our 22.4 pay somehow. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

542thruNthru

22.4 here been driving a little over a year and last week they hit me and 8 other 22.4s with a layoff. They stated we lost ours 8/hour guarantee as well as our driver pay when going back to the hub. From what I understand this is not breaking contract. But we are still working our Saturday bid routes and being called in the day before to cover RPCD bid routes. In this way is the contract being broken? They basically said we don’t need you but we’re going to use you when we please such as Saturday’s and when guys call in.

Taking a 6.50 pay cut along with a 15 hour cut is going to screw us guys. We’re hoping we can find a way to get our 40 hour week back along with our 22.4 pay somehow. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
What supplemental agreement are you in?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Thanks
Lol

Thebrownblob

What supplemental agreement are you in?
Are they training any people while you’re laid off? If they are file. You can put two part-time shifts together for 3 1/2 hours each at least where I am. Also do not answer your phone if they call, unless you just want to help them.

Mst3k

22.4 are combination employees. Since the contract language includes inside work it makes no sense to reduce your pay for working inside. File a grievance.
NorCal contract here

542thruNthru

22.4 are combination employees. Since the contract language includes inside work it makes no sense to reduce your pay for working inside. File a grievance.

Regular drivers lose their pay but a 22.4 shouldn’t

NorCal contract here
You can still be laid off. Though they shouldn't be driving if they are laid off.

Nah
You can still be laid off. Though they shouldn't be driving if they are laid off.
But since inside work is still an option, for a position which by definition includes inside work, I think saying they've been laid off would be a bit of a stretch.

If nothing else, someone should file a grievance with the argument he made. Wouldn't hurt anything to try.

542thruNthru

One could make the argument that since the company was using them as full time drivers at 22.4 pay then they should use them as full time hub employees at 22.4 pay.
Absolutely. They are FT and should be able to displace two PT positions but this will depend on his JC/rider layoff language.

542thruNthru

But since inside work is still an option, for a position which by definition includes inside work, I think saying they've been laid off would be a bit of a stretch.

If nothing else, someone should file a grievance with the argument he made. Wouldn't hurt anything to try.
I would agree if he's still driving than he should still be classified as a 22.4.

Nah
I would agree if he's still driving than he should still be classified as a 22.4.
22.4s themselves are by definition combo positions. Whether he's driving or not shouldn't matter. Just as the company can use one as just a driver, why couldn't they use one just as an insider?

I agree with him that they should still make their 22.4 pay.

But someone, somewhere has to be the first to file this grievance. I'm curious to see how it plays out even though it doesn't affect me anymore.

542thruNthru

22.4s themselves are by definition combo positions. Whether he's driving or not shouldn't matter. Just as the company can use one as just a driver, why couldn't they use one just as an insider?

I agree with him that they should still make their 22.4 pay.

But someone, somewhere has to be the first to file this grievance. I'm curious to see how it plays out even though it doesn't affect me anymore.
22.4s have been laid off before. The issue comes down to using the layoff language is not against the contract. He should file especially if he's still driving Saturdays.

Mst3k

I would agree if he's still driving than he should still be classified as a 22.
Unless there is local language that specifically prevents him from driving then his position shouldn’t change, if he works 15 hours all week but they ask him to drive on Saturday, will they add the lost time and pay to his timecard?

Nah
22.4s have been laid off before. The issue comes down to using the layoff language is not against the contract. He should file especially if he's still driving Saturdays.
If he's performing work inside the building, which is part of his position, he should still be paid his 22.4 rate accordingly. Regardless of "layoff" status.