No Work for PT Air Drivers Peak ‘23

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I can personally assure you that majority of these SSD’s were not on preload nor night sort

They’re telling me that we aren’t obligated to anything other than our 3.5 guarantee. I understand we’re air drivers, but the company uses us to run routes throughout the year when they’re in a bind. The contract says that UPS is obligated to utilize every union employee before hiring outside seasonal help.
Bad news Doc all you’re guaranteed is 3.5 if you want more get a fulltime job

Brown Down

I don't know what to tell you. The same thing went on in my center when I was an air driver. I got less hours during peak than the rest of the year. Our guarantee was only 3 hours back then, and I made it by sweeping floors and picking up trash around the center. As far as utilizing union employees, they only failed in this regard if they didn't give you the first chance to be a helper or pvd.

The contract says he should get paid top rate. And he is. What's wrong with that?
You really should go back and read some of his posts about how his union leadership let's him and the company violate the contract.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
That's only half the issue....

What about the unborn RPCD, or the present driver who could have done the work, whose opportunity is being usurped by this practice?

It is not only the pay, a vast number of these part timers who work past their guarantee are actually stealing the full timers’ company obligated pension and health and welfare contributions. Not only that but any part timer with over 35 years in under the Central and Southern are getting no pension credits for their full time schedules.

The Company knows this and will kindly prefer to give any extra work to a senior part timer in order to lay off a junior full timer. When I first started as a part timer the supervisors where told to cut us off the clock at 3.5, no part timer worked past 5 hours period.

Full time seniority should Trump any part timers, if you have any full timer layoffs you automatically start laying off junior part timers or senior ones if it gets that bad.

If these spoiled senior part timers want a full schedule they have to sign up for a full time position no matter their classification, it is that simple.

Nah
It is not only the pay, a vast number of these part timers who work past their guarantee are actually stealing the full timers’ company obligated pension and health and welfare contributions. Not only that but any part timer with over 35 years in under the Central and Southern are getting no pension credits for their full time schedules.

The Company knows this and will kindly prefer to give any extra work to a senior part timer in order to lay off a junior full timer. When I first started as a part timer the supervisors where told to cut us off the clock at 3.5, no part timer worked past 5 hours period.

Full time seniority should Trump any part timers, if you have any full timer layoffs you automatically start laying off junior part timers or senior ones if it gets that bad.

If these spoiled senior part timers want a full schedule they have to sign up for a full time position no matter their classification, it is that simple.
lmfao

Commercial Inside Release

Air Drivers have been an endangered species for a long time.

They've been cutting air routes, and air drivers for about a decade. They always give you the line... "You are only allowed 3.5hrs..." During Covid and the last few peaks, they've been reduced to shuttle work, sometimes air pickups.

If you have authorization to the airports (a background check and pass,) that may be the only thing keeping you from becoming an inside grunt worker.

I saw air drivers lose a lot...
Running ground routes dwindled to almost never... Lose $25,000 to $50,000

No more running misloads, or LIBs... Lose $20-40,000

No more route during peak\SSD-PVD\seasonal period... Lose $25-30,000

Rolling late air containers, late feeder trailers (thanks Carol)... Lose $10-20,000

No more extra work, like carwash & porter (thanks Carol's DMs)... Lose $10-20,000

Putting air pickups on ground driver runner-gunners (that are always done by 15:00-16:30)... Lose $10-20,000

No shady practices like split shifting (thanks @Bubblehead @PT Car Washer )... Lose $20-30,000

You might as well work inside, because even though you are a qualified driver, the inside workers are earning more than you. As an air driver, you get over time after 8hrs, which is never... Preloaders get OT after 5hrs, etc.

There once was a time when Air Drivers could make $75,000 to $110,000 with some ground work, but those days are long gone. Now in most places (other than Iowa,) they are the lowest paid, if they are even working at all.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Air Drivers have been an endangered species for a long time.

They've been cutting air routes, and air drivers for about a decade. They always give you the line... "You are only allowed 3.5hrs..." During Covid and the last few peaks, they've been reduced to shuttle work, sometimes air pickups.

If you have authorization to the airports (a background check and pass,) that may be the only thing keeping you from becoming an inside grunt worker.

I saw air drivers lose a lot...
Running ground routes dwindled to almost never... Lose $25,000 to $50,000

No more running misloads, or LIBs... Lose $20-40,000

No more route during peak\SSD-PVD\seasonal period... Lose $25-30,000

Rolling late air containers, late feeder trailers (thanks Carol)... Lose $10-20,000

No more extra work, like carwash & porter (thanks Carol's DMs)... Lose $10-20,000

Putting air pickups on ground driver runner-gunners (that are always done by 15:00-16:30)... Lose $10-20,000

No shady practices like split shifting (thanks @Bubblehead @PT Car Washer )... Lose $20-30,000

You might as well work inside, because even though you are a qualified driver, the inside workers are earning more than you. As an air driver, you get over time after 8hrs, which is never... Preloaders get OT after 5hrs, etc.

There once was a time when Air Drivers could make $75,000 to $110,000 with some ground work, but those days are long gone. Now in most places (other than Iowa,) they are the lowest paid, if they are even working at all.
Any job that is predicated on the term "exception" should know their existence is built on shaky ground and realize that the Company will always try to eliminate "exceptions".

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hello all,
I am a PT Bid EAM driver in the Southern Supplement. This post is regarding this past peak season.
In the past years, our center has allowed us to run our own built ground routes every day during peak season. The new contract states that PT inside employees now have rights to PVD/SSD work before UPS can hire outside contractors. In my opinion that’s a major win for our inside PT’s, however, UPS is now trying to force us air drivers in my center to become PVD/SSD at a MUCH LOWER pay rate than what we get paid to do air. They did not allow us to work hardly any extra past our guaranteed 3.5 hours, because “no work was available.” Even besides ground, we were not permitted to run any extra air that was left at the building as the supervisors were giving it to outside PVD/SSD contractors. Upper management claimed we did not sign up to be SSD’s (why would we? driving our own car for nearly half the rate?), and we are not cover drivers, so they are not obligated to give us anything. I never wish to mess up money opportunities of a fellow Teamster, but they were hiring 60+ PVD/SSD’s off the street and telling me to go home. They allowed the FT 22.3 Air drivers to run ground routes every day, but the contract language is the same for all air drivers, (a.k.a, nearly nothing.) I have filed on a variety of different articles and topics through Nov-Dec.
Has anyone else fallen into this scenario this past peak season? I’m just looking for other’s stories and/or advice on my current topic. The contract strongly emphasizes “inside” employees when it comes to SSD language, and says absolutely nothing about air drivers being allowed/not allowed to work extra during peak. The local Union is not exactly “supporting” me on this matter.
Thanks Joe biden

Brown Down

Not just myself but all of the PT air drivers. Some have tried to refuse but Work as Directed.
You said you force the company to use union members yet you won't force them to hire the appropriate classifications as it would hurt you wallet
Sure it does. And no one's complaining except a few FTers who already have the jobs they claim air drivers are stealing. Lmfao
Those few FTs complaining are looking out for jobs not being filled properly. It's no skin off my back if they don't fill them. But some younger teamsters should care alot more than they do.