34 hour reset

UPS4Life

So I received my monthly teamster magazine today and was paging through it and found an article about the 34 hour reset.
"By getting rid of the previous safety rules, the average maximum week a driver can work now jumps from 70 hours to 82 hours." How many people at UPS work more than 70 hours let alone 82? Yes I know it is possible to work 82 but curious how many actually work this many.

"More than 4000 lives are claimed each year on our highways in accidents involving tractor trailers"
This may be true but I just did some research and on ccjdigital.com it says "FMCSA studies looked at 6131 fatal car-truck crashes over a three year period in 07, 08, and 09. 2007-2008 cars were assigned fault 85 percent of the crashes. The number dropped to 81 percent in 2009."

And this is where they bring up the Walmart accident that injured Tracey Morgan. "The driver had not rested for 24 hours straight prior to the crash." The driver had no DOT hour infractions. The accident occurred in his 13th hour as he was almost back to his building and he just had a 34 hour reset as it was the beginning of his week. Yes there are claims he drove to NJ from Delaware then worked without rest but to me that is driver error. If you spend all day landscaping outside in 95 degree weather do you consider that "rest"?

I like the "old system" just needing 34 hours as it gives you more flexibility if you are on the cover board. Also with needing 2 rest periods between 1-5am that is letting all trucks enter the road at 5:01am just in time for rush hour when they could be hundreds of miles down the road already had they started at say 01:30am.

Sorry for the long rant just looking for some thoughts and opinions from others.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If the rules really increased safety I would be in favor of them but my understanding is that DOT couldn't find any measurable improvement in safety statistics and that's why they dropped the "2 periods between 1-5" and the only one reset allowed per week. They weren't measurably affecting safety, all they were doing was increasing costs for trucking companies.

UPS4Life

If the rules really increased safety I would be in favor of them but my understanding is that DOT couldn't find any measurable improvement in safety statistics and that's why they dropped the "2 periods between 1-5" and the only one reset allowed per week. They weren't measurably affecting safety, all they were doing was increasing costs for trucking companies.
Thanks for the respond! Also I read that there was no testing to see if that system even improved drivers test. I believe it is Virginia tech that is doing studies this year to see the effects it has on the drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
There's still a Teamster Magazine? How much money are we wasting printing and mailing that out? Should be online.

govols019

You smell that?
WASHINGTON — New Jersey Democrat Cory Booker plans to restore a recently suspended hours-of-service rule under review by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the senator told Transport Topics after a Senate hearing March 4.

Last year, Booker and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) strongly resisted suspending the rule, finding support from key stakeholders.

“I think we have a serious issue, as everybody concludes, about driver fatigue, and it is culpable for many accidents, and many deaths. And this seems like a reasonable evidence-based, data-based rule, and that it should not have been suspended. And I’m going to look to see as soon as possible for us to return it,” Booker said after a hearing of the Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security Subcommittee. He is the panel’s ranking member.

Booker added that he likely will wait and see what the opportunities are to proceed with restoring the HOS regulation, suggesting that could entail waiting until FMCSA presents Congress with a study about the rule’s safety impact.

Under a funding law Congress passed in December, the enforcement that drivers take off two consecutive periods of 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. during a 34-hour restart was suspended through Sept. 30. Truckers still are required to adhere to pre-July 2013 hours-of-service regulations. Before the suspension expires, FMCSA is required to complete a review of safety claims stemming from the restart restrictions.

The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute was selected to conduct the study, and FMCSA acting Administrator Scott Darling said he expects the study’s findings to be released later this year.

A majority of Republicans who supported the rule's suspension are expected to push back on Booker's efforts.

By Eugene Mulero
Staff Reporter

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Thanks for the respond! Also I read that there was no testing to see if that system even improved drivers test. I believe it is Virginia tech that is doing studies this year to see the effects it has on the drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App
How does two periods from 1 AM to 5 AM actually help?

If you go off duty before 1 AM on Saturday morning, you are reset around 11 AM Sunday.

If you go off duty at 1:30 AM Saturday morning you are not reset until 5 AM Monday morning.

You went off duty only a half hour later than the other guy, but you need 18 more hours off than he does to get your reset.

Does not make sense. One minute could actually cost you 18 hours.

UPS4Life

70 hours, thought it was 60 hours max?
If you maxed out during the week and took a 34 hour reset and continued working that week you could possibly work 82 hours in a 168hr time period (7days)

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
If feeder drivers are allowed 82 hours I'm sure they will find a way to get it. They are a money loving bunch

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
For freight I am going under knowledge of the 70 hour, 8 day rotation, and the daily 11/14 deal.... The 34 hour reset after the 70 hour I don't believe is ever really come close to by most road guys but I know feeders are different , don't have a clue as to how the work schedule is for u guys, but the 70 hour 8 day rule should still be in place for all drivers I believe, and there might even be. 7 day 60 hour format as well not sure DOT has changed a lot the last few years

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
For freight I am going under knowledge of the 70 hour, 8 day rotation, and the daily 11/14 deal.... The 34 hour reset after the 70 hour I don't believe is ever really come close to by most road guys but I know feeders are different , don't have a clue as to how the work schedule is for u guys, but the 70 hour 8 day rule should still be in place for all drivers I believe, and there might even be. 7 day 60 hour format as well not sure DOT has changed a lot the last few years
Most of us are 11/14 and 7/60. During peak, they tried to say we were 8/70. That didn't fly.

UPS4Life

Most of us are 11/14 and 7/60. During peak, they tried to say we were 8/70. That didn't fly.
We were 8/70 as an exemption because apparently we are retail? From what I was told if you dispatch 7 days a week you should be under the 8/70 and we fall into that category. Don't know why ups wouldn't want that. Nobody says you need to work that much but the option is there and then you have no worries getting home on Friday.

Sent using BrownCafe App

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
How does two periods from 1 AM to 5 AM actually help?

If you go off duty before 1 AM on Saturday morning, you are reset around 11 AM Sunday.

If you go off duty at 1:30 AM Saturday morning you are not reset until 5 AM Monday morning.

You went off duty only a half hour later than the other guy, but you need 18 more hours off than he does to get your reset.

Does not make sense. One minute could actually cost you 18 hours.
I agree maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the benefit at all ,That doesn't sound right

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So I received my monthly teamster magazine today and was paging through it and found an article about the 34 hour reset.
"By getting rid of the previous safety rules, the average maximum week a driver can work now jumps from 70 hours to 82 hours." How many people at UPS work more than 70 hours let alone 82? Yes I know it is possible to work 82 but curious how many actually work this many.

"More than 4000 lives are claimed each year on our highways in accidents involving tractor trailers"
This may be true but I just did some research and on ccjdigital.com it says "FMCSA studies looked at 6131 fatal car-truck crashes over a three year period in 07, 08, and 09. 2007-2008 cars were assigned fault 85 percent of the crashes. The number dropped to 81 percent in 2009."

And this is where they bring up the Walmart accident that injured Tracey Morgan. "The driver had not rested for 24 hours straight prior to the crash." The driver had no DOT hour infractions. The accident occurred in his 13th hour as he was almost back to his building and he just had a 34 hour reset as it was the beginning of his week. Yes there are claims he drove to NJ from Delaware then worked without rest but to me that is driver error. If you spend all day landscaping outside in 95 degree weather do you consider that "rest"?

I like the "old system" just needing 34 hours as it gives you more flexibility if you are on the cover board. Also with needing 2 rest periods between 1-5am that is letting all trucks enter the road at 5:01am just in time for rush hour when they could be hundreds of miles down the road already had they started at say 01:30am.

Sorry for the long rant just looking for some thoughts and opinions from others.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I work 50 a week and that's it. These guys who want 60 every week are out of their minds. I got other things to do besides sit behind a wheel every day. Also I always found it strange that most people work 40 a week, but with UPS if you don't work more than 50 then you are lazy. As for the reset, the whole thing is absurd. Just let me have 34 and be done with it.

UPS4Life

I agree maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the benefit at all ,That doesn't sound right
Well apparently this is safer for everybody. Just to make it a little more clear, everybody that finishes work from 1am saturday- 12:59am sunday may now enter the road at 5am Monday morning just in time for rush hour!

Sent using BrownCafe App