401K Investment Allocations

brown metal coffin

If you wouldn't mind sharing could you let me know how the percentages in your 401k are allocated and what percentage that you have for what? Some funds are doing well this year and some just aren't.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it really depends on your age. you need 4 categories. growth, growth and income, aggressive growth and international.

young people should allocate more into growth and aggressive growth with at least 25% in international. not so much in growth and income.

me being close to retirement don't take as much risk with aggressive growth mutual funds. but I still have 25% in International.

young people can take on more risk and weather a big market correction because you are looking at a 25-40 year window.

old timers need to take on a lot less risk because of a smaller window.

you need to contact experts like Vanguard or Fidelity Mutual funds. their websites have a lot of info on this subject.

or go to daveramsey.com for some common sense advice.

oldngray

nowhere special
reits ARE volatile. A lot of people love them but you have a possibility of getting burned. Long term they are usually a good investment but you need risk tolerance to stomach the swings.

Returntosender

reits ARE volatile. A lot of people love them but you have a possibility of getting burned. Long term they are usually a good investment but you need risk tolerance to stomach the swings.
I got three REITS, healthcare and property, outside of the UPS 401k. Got them at 52 weeks lows, instructed broker to have a sell order on them if the price drops 10% above of where I bought them.

A friends father buys them just for dividend payout and moves on to the next paying Reit.

cmbrown1268

Can anyone help me understand why UPS stock is < less than the competitor per share....i have never understood this..thanks for the education.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
price doesn't matter. price/earnings ratio is more important. you can google p/e ratios to understand that. performance over 5 and 10 years is important. not last month, quarter or year performance. you should be invested long term.

UPS stock has not been a big winner. it may be a fair stock. but I do contribute 10 bucks a week thru automatic payroll deduction. that has grown to about 15,000 bucks over the years.

and I reinvest the dividends. its nice to get that dividend statement every 3 months. that's actually the secret of acquiring wealth. having your money working for you . money making money.

the last couple years my investments have been making more money than I have.

brown metal coffin

Can anyone help me understand why UPS stock is < less than the competitor per share....i have never understood this..thanks for the education.

I ask myself that over and over considering we lead the industry in shipping and logistics but the fact of the matter is that wall st. is completely scared and turned off by UPS because they are union. They seem to think because of that; that UPS is too top heavy in expenses because of the high cost of the labor. Although the higher cost of labor part is right we turn way more gross and net profit than FedEx.

Also wall st. has seen what some unions have done to the auto industry and hostess for example and they are just turned off and panic every time the contract is up but that doesn't stop them from betting on UPS short every time FedEx goes up. Its weird; the whole thing is just weird.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I ask myself that over and over considering we lead the industry in shipping and logistics but the fact of the matter is that wall st. is completely scared and turned off by UPS because they are union. They seem to think because of that; that UPS is too top heavy in expenses because of the high cost of the labor. Although the higher cost of labor part is right we turn way more gross and net profit than FedEx.

Also wall st. has seen what some unions have done to the auto industry and hostess for example and they are just turned off and panic every time the contract is up but that doesn't stop them from betting on UPS short every time FedEx goes up. Its weird; the whole thing is just weird.
This has nothing to do with it. Ups market cap is much higher than fedex. There are simply more shares availible for ups than fedex. That's why it is priced lower.

upschuck

UPS has 908 million shares outstanding
FedEx has 283 million shares outstanding

Multiply each number by price to get the companies value. UPS is by far the more valuable company.

brown metal coffin

This has nothing to do with it. Ups market cap is much higher than fedex. There are simply more shares availible for ups than fedex. That's why it is priced lower.

There is another factor... Bill Ackman:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ll-ackman-have-fedex-stock-in-his-sights.aspx

I'll never forget when this happened. He speculated that he was looking at FedEx for one of his funds and the stock just shot up on his speculation. This article will say that it went up $6.00 that day but it kept going and going and going.

Also every time that earnings come out they seem to jump big but when our earnings come out minimal movement and sometimes losses on that day even when we meet expectation.

Illegal pharmaceutical shipments, laundering money, throwing tv's like frisbees, lowering expectations for the year, deciding first that they are going to charge by dim weight and still the stock goes up and wall st. doesn't bat an eyelash. They had just as much last minute trouble as we had last christmas but yet it was UPS that failed. Also last September they re-won the post office contract for them to haul the priority mail on the FedEx planes and have the right to have a drop box in front of every post office.

Im not saying your wrong brownslave668 but there have been other factors. I watch it everyday and just scratch my head at it. Even their dividend is .46%