401K Performance

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
image.png
Amazon is up $52/share today.
Nope

HollandMan73

I transferred all my money to the retirement fund(low/no risk) in december....market just looked ripe for a hard fall. Think I will keep it there untill we have a solid correction.....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i'm with brownmonster here. a flat or down year is OK once in awhile since you are doing dollar cost averaging on purchases.

at the beginning of 2015 the dow was at about 18000. it ended at what ? 16 and change. so if you only lost 1 percent ( not counting contributions ) you actually did OK.

when the dow gets back to 18k ( if ) then you will actually make money even though it is back where it started in Jan 2015 because you bought more shares when the dow was down in the 15's and 16's

plus . remember , if you are maxing out your 401k you are saving around 3000-4000 in taxes depending on your tax bracket a year.

Agree with olroadbeech....only lose when you move $$$ out of a fund. Need a glass half full in a down/slow market. Buy/invest in a down market and wait.

HollandMan73

Agree with olroadbeech....only lose when you move $$$ out of a fund. Need a glass half full in a down/slow market. Buy/invest in a down market and wait.

Guess we'll see in six months or so.....if the market drops 30% and your 400k 401k turns into 280k....especially if your close to retirement.....that can be a real problem. I know plenty of people that "lost" half their retirement in the last crash. Yes it came back......but only after 4 trillion dollars was injected in the economy! Don't see that happening next time.....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Guess we'll see in six months or so.....if the market drops 30% and your 400k 401k turns into 280k....especially if your close to retirement.....that can be a real problem. I know plenty of people that "lost" half their retirement in the last crash. Yes it came back......but only after 4 trillion dollars was injected in the economy! Don't see that happening next time.....
If you're close to retirement and you don't have a significant portion of your portfolio in cash/bonds especially after the last crash then you don't have a good plan. If the market drops 30% I'm in a pretty good position to take advantage of it.