401k rollover

gray squirrel

I am very concerned about my 401k. It is with the Prudential Company. Can I roll it over into an IRA, or some other savings vessel, that won't take such a hit when this economy finally hits the mountain.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
An IRA is inherently no safer than a 401k, assuming the way it's invested is basically the same. If you're really concerned your best bet is probably to move everything into the bond fund.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
An IRA is inherently no safer than a 401k, assuming the way it's invested is basically the same. If you're really concerned your best bet is probably to move everything into the bond fund.

What makes you think the government is not headed to bankruptcy?

Bonds are considered safe, but you usually are actually losing money by investing in them. Typically the yield is less than the inflation rate.

Spread the money out into several different investments within the 401k. Don't panic and sell or buy. By the time you react it's too late.

Index funds are much safer than individual stocks and most index funds outperform mutual funds in the long run. The so called "expert" stock pickers are wrong most of the time.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to the book store and get a book on basic investing (skip the get rich quick section).

Raw

Raw Member
I am very concerned about my 401k. It is with the Prudential Company. Can I roll it over into an IRA, or some other savings vessel, that won't take such a hit when this economy finally hits the mountain.
I`ve had all my money in the stable fund the last 2 years, haven`t lost a penney!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What makes you think the government is not headed to bankruptcy?

Bonds are considered safe, but you usually are actually losing money by investing in them. Typically the yield is less than the inflation rate.

Spread the money out into several different investments within the 401k. Don't panic and sell or buy. By the time you react it's too late.

Index funds are much safer than individual stocks and most index funds outperform mutual funds in the long run. The so called "expert" stock pickers are wrong most of the time.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to the book store and get a book on basic investing (skip the get rich quick section).
Gosh, what's it like to be so smart about investing 'n stuff? Did you learn all that from books?
He didn't ask for investment advice, he asked whether an IRA was safer than a 401k if the economy tanks. It's not. And if stocks get pounded (which he seems to think will happen) your money is safer in the bond fund.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I buy gold & silver coins and buried them in cans.
When barry & company finally destroy our economy paper monies will be worthless.

Ms.PacMan

Not that I'm aware of. You have to separate from the company to roll over your 401K. You could reduce your 401K contributions and max out an IRA through a brokerage account.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Sounds like he's asking for advice to me. He wants to know where he can put it.

Are you giving advice? Sounds like advice to me. Who says what his best bet is? An advice giver.

Gosh, what's it like to be so smart about investing 'n stuff? Did you learn all that from books?
He didn't ask for investment advice, he asked whether an IRA was safer than a 401k if the economy tanks. It's not. And if stocks get pounded (which he seems to think will happen) your money is safer in the bond fund.

Actually the IRA could be safer. Depends on the investment options and who the holder of the funds is. I don't see where he mentioned stocks.

No need to worry about what I know or where I learned it. I know enough to get by without accepting advice from people that don't even know that stocks have out performed bonds in the long run since the advent of investing.

Since you're a mind reader, tell me what word I'm thinking that starts with an "A". It's not assets, but it does contain some of the same letters.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Actually the IRA could be safer. Depends on the investment options and who the holder of the funds is. I don't see where he mentioned stocks.
Read much? Like I said earlier:
An IRA is inherently no safer than a 401k, assuming the way it's invested is basically the same.

No need to worry about what I know or where I learned it. I know enough to get by without accepting advice from people that don't even know that stocks have out performed bonds in the long run since the advent of investing.
You're a real investment wiz, with all your in depth knowledge of historical returns and such. You must have read all the best books to gain such complex insight. I'm sure Warren Buffet has you on his speed dial :happy-very:.

Since you're a mind reader, tell me what word I'm thinking that starts with an "A". It's not assets, but it does contain some of the same letters.
I'm guessing it's how your acquaintances refer to you when you're not in the room :wink2:

Norma

I buy gold & silver coins and buried them in cans.
When barry & company finally destroy our economy paper monies will be worthless.

Actually that would be part of a diversified portfolio. Plan for the best case scenario and also plan for the worst case scenario.