5 bucks a week to send my child support?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You're crying about paying $5 to send a $60 check. Why don't you ask us hard working Americans how we feel about sending her OUR hard earned money so she can do nothing.

001.JPG
001.JPG

Just Lurking

Try to have them deduct it all the child support from one check per month. That way you only pay $5 once a month. You save at least $15 per month that way.

UPSGUY72

Re: Ups is making a huge profit off of me and thousands of others!

Divorced[/QUOTE
You picked a winner..... I had requirements before I got married one was for her to have a good job and be independently self supporting. The $60 you pay a week won't put healthy food on the table not to mention a roof over your child's head or clothes on his/ her back. Get another job.

Kae3106

UPS is charging me 5 dollars a week to send my child support to health and welfare. I believe that ups is making a profit off of this.

Yes, the wage attachment/garnishment department turns a profit. Each state sets the rules for the administrative fee that an employer is allowed to charge for processing attachments, withholding the money each pay period, and remitting the funds to the state/court/etc. UPS complies with these state laws...they don't just make up a number.

The thing is, the state usually sets them up as "per payment" so an employee who gets paid weekly will end up paying quite a bit more in fees than an employee who is paid monthly just based on the number of checks per year.

The fees go to cover the salaries of the employees in the garnishment department as well as the cost of printing and mailing the checks for the places that still want checks. Most of the states have now gone electronic for child support so there isn't much cost associated with them once they are set up in the system. Most of the states also require child support to be withheld by the employers and remitted directly to the state for distribution so they can track who is paying and who isn't.

If you think the fees are excessive, you can contact the garnishment department directly to ask them to check to make sure you are set up correctly. (PM me if you need the number)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I have to disagree ... $5 a week is not even a huge profit for a homeless person.

I know that technology based automation has reduced costs a lot but the cost of setting this up, the EFT cost, the audit costs and the time to deal with you complaining about $5 per week probably comes to more than $260 per year.

Its funny how the company is claiming that it costs them $5 a week to electronically transfer $260 per month for the guy's state required child support garnishment, yet for some reason they dont do the same thing for a voluntary United Way payroll deduction.

Insincerity

I'm Insincere

Its funny how the company is claiming that it costs them $5 a week to electronically transfer $260 per month for the guy's state required child support garnishment, yet for some reason they dont do the same thing for a voluntary United Way payroll deduction.

I don't find it funny but logical.
One is part of a PR strategy that produces a lot of goodwill. The other is something that UPS has to do because some pencil-headed government prick sitting in a cube says to do it. I'm sure UPS would rather not have anything to do with child support payments of one of it's employees.

soberups

I don't find it funny but logical.
One is part of a PR strategy that produces a lot of goodwill. The other is something that UPS has to do because some pencil-headed government prick sitting in a cube says to do it. I'm sure UPS would rather not have anything to do with child support payments of one of it's employees.

If it truly does cost the company $5 per week for an automatic payroll deduction, then wouldnt the company be better off encouraging its employees to donate directly to United Way? Imagine how much more UPS could donate if it were not saddled with the costly administrative burden of processing every one of the $2 or $5 or $10 weekly donations that it goes to such great lengths to solicit from each and every one of its 250,000+ employees nationwide.

soberups

You're crying about paying $5 to send a $60 check. Why don't you ask us hard working Americans how we feel about sending her OUR hard earned money so she can do nothing.

The OP is a part-time employee who is being forced to pay the company $5 per week in order to comply with a state-required child support garnishment of $260 per month to an ex wife/partner who is on food stamps. Thats something in the ballpark of 8% in "administrative costs" for an automatic payroll deduction that should be going to the child instead of the company. I dont blame him for being pissed, $20 a month/$260 per year is a pretty substantial sum of money for a low income worker trying to support a child. The company does not charge a similar fee for voluntary United Way deductions, voluntary 401K constributions or voluntary changes in W-2 witholding, but for some strange reason it does charge those who legally have no choice but to have their child support automatically deducted.

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
Can't believe you guys are harassing him about this thread. He obviously doesn't make 30 an hour so 5 is a substantial amount to him

I saw no harassment but someone complaining about a reasonable charge for a state enforced process resulting from his actions. One makes choices and suffers the consequences of poor ones. In this case, it is a relatively minor consequence.

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
The OP is a part-time employee who is being forced to pay the company $5 per week in order to comply with a state-required child support garnishment of $260 per month to an ex wife/partner who is on food stamps. Thats something in the ballpark of 8% in "administrative costs" for an automatic payroll deduction that should be going to the child instead of the company. I dont blame him for being pissed, $20 a month/$260 per year is a pretty substantial sum of money for a low income worker trying to support a child. The company does not charge a similar fee for voluntary United Way deductions, voluntary 401K constributions or voluntary changes in W-2 witholding, but for some strange reason it does charge those who legally have no choice but to have their child support automatically deducted.

The percent is totally irrelevant. If he paid her $1000 a month, it would be 2% and the cost to UPS or any other company is the same. I would suggest to not put any ideas in the heads of those pencil-headed geeks in the accounting office in Atlanta.

* United Way - Good PR for UPS and absorbing processing fees motivates employees to contribute and I'm sure UPS rights off all the costs to run United Way campaigns as "in kind" contributions
* 401 K - Gets older employees who are less productive off the payroll sooner so it is a good investment
* W-4 - companies are required to do this by law or be subject to taxes not withheld
* Child support and garnishments - no benefit to UPS or any company

Individuals, companies and any other organization only do things that beneficial to them and that is the way it should be.
Your and my postings here on BrownCafe are done by you for our own benefit and that is the way it should be.

Kae3106

If it truly does cost the company $5 per week for an automatic payroll deduction, then wouldnt the company be better off encouraging its employees to donate directly to United Way? Imagine how much more UPS could donate if it were not saddled with the costly administrative burden of processing every one of the $2 or $5 or $10 weekly donations that it goes to such great lengths to solicit from each and every one of its 250,000+ employees nationwide.

It doesn't cost the company $5 per week to process the child support. However, the state the poster lives in ALLOWS employers to take a $5 per payment administrative fee. (assuming he's set up right) UPS is going to take the maximum fee allowed by law in each state as are most other companies. Here's a link that shows the fee allowed in each state. State Laws on Wage Garnishments | Nolo.com Employers are prohibited from terminating an employee over garnishments but they are allowed to charge this fee to recoup their costs related to processing it since it does create work for the employer.

Also, it's much easier to process the United Way than wage attachments. The UW is deducted and collects in an account until it is paid to UW in a bulk payment. (not sure if we remit weekly or monthly...either way, it's a big wire payment) The deductions are set up once per year and there is very little changed in the payroll system during the year. It's also largely automated now that we do the pledges online and the data is fed to the payroll system.

Wage attachments have to be sent within a very specific time frame to thousands of different places (factoring in Fed, states, courts, creditors, lawyers, etc). IRS levies, student loans, child support, personal judgments, and so on all have different rules. Each order received must be read by a UPSer and set up in the system. We also get flooded with child support orders after peak season. UPS hires thousands of people for peak and dutifully reports their employment to the states. A couple of months later, the states have matched up the employment lists to the child support lists and sends us wage attachment orders. However, by that point, all of the peak hires are gone. We still have to fill out the paperwork for each person stating he doesn't work for us anymore. There are also the dozens of phone calls from lawyers and angry custodial parents to deal with each day.

It's not just a simple payroll deduction.