705 Contract talks begin

paidslave

Question #1

A senior Driver? Does this mean the top seniority Driver in the Building, State, Country or Loop?

Confused and thanks for your help!

Question #2

How does one Proof how much time these drivers actually spend on the dock?

Thanks!

ups79

Any driver that is on the dock on his own time we file on him to get him paid, which forces the companys hand by making sure no drivers spend anytime on the dock. If and when they pay that driver we have a senior driver file for seniority which now makes the company pay 2 people at overtime instead of 1 preloader at straight time.

Are you one of those strong union guys, who when you want to get home early hop on the belt yourself just to save a little time later in the day? If so do you file against yourself? I've seen a lot of stewards file for this unless it pertains to them getting off early or going on a vacation and wanting to get off early on a friday.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Question #1

A senior Driver? Does this mean the top seniority Driver in the Building, State, Country or Loop?

Confused and thanks for your help!

Im my buiding we are broken down into 5 package car centers, so i would file for the center that the driver was working for free in. Anyone in this center with more seniority could file, here i have a good group of drivers that would put their name on the grievance, if not union file it to the highest in the center.
Question #2

How does one Proof how much time these drivers actually spend on the dock?
Its not that hard, ask the preloaders because its them that are being effected by his working. Im typically in the buiding an hour before start time to address the concerns myself.

Thanks!

Are you one of those strong union guys, who when you want to get home early hop on the belt yourself just to save a little time later in the day? If so do you file against yourself? I've seen a lot of stewards file for this unless it pertains to them getting off early or going on a vacation and wanting to get off early on a friday.

I live by the contract, and i never load my truck before start time and steal money out of my preloaders pocket. If i need to get done early i ask for an 8 hour request or the day off but i never short change another to benefit myself, maybe you should try to be a strong ups union guy!

paidslave

Thanks Red for your strong Union Beliefs. In my building we never know who is loading our truck week to week and I never know who to ask because they bounce them around all the time.

I do have one last question.

When a grievance on this topic is filed is it difficult to win? Does a witness/preloader have to be present or is it cut and dry where the company just takes the Union side of the grievance filed? What are your tricks to prove the company faulted?

This all seems like a shot in the dark winning!

Thanks!

Cole

Howdy all!

Give e'm hell 705!

You don't wont anything like this nat'l we got, and I am confident your group out there will take no BS! The company is really giddy about some of this language in the Nat'l. As a steward you wont see me working off the clock, and I sure don't encourage anyone to do it. If you have a steward that does man/woman up and vote them out, and step up yourself!

Good News

I heard our local is handing out T-Shirts that say "8 - 1 and done" (Contract by August 1st or we walk) I like seeing us beginning with a strong stance.
I still want to reiterate that we cannot allow what happened in the National Contract to happen to us. I'm reading on these boards that by taking over the Central States Pension, UPS was allowed to freeze starting salaries at 8.50 til 2013. Some states have a minimum wage higher than that ... now! That's how much I was making loading UPS trucks 20 years ago.
Our Union's job is to protect our rights and work to get us better pay, not provide workers to UPS at Slave wages.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Thanks Red for your strong Union Beliefs. In my building we never know who is loading our truck week to week and I never know who to ask because they bounce them around all the time.

I do have one last question.

When a grievance on this topic is filed is it difficult to win? Does a witness/preloader have to be present or is it cut and dry where the company just takes the Union side of the grievance filed? What are your tricks to prove the company faulted?

This all seems like a shot in the dark winning!

Thanks!
I guess its really how strong are your stewards and or local at resolving grievances. Here management tries to settle what ever they can before it gets into my agents hands, because he wont bend or give in.

I have some very good preloaders who give me the times the drivers showed up and started working in his/her truck, and i have printed out his delivery records to prove that he was pre-recording an hour before starttime. Now i hate doing this because at the same time i have to represent this driver and he just cant get it in his head that he gets paid by the hour.

I suggest that you put it in managements hands by addressing this with them first informing them that you will file a grievance if it is not resolved.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good News

I heard our local is handing out T-Shirts that say "8 - 1 and done" (Contract by August 1st or we walk) I like seeing us beginning with a strong stance.
I still want to reiterate that we cannot allow what happened in the National Contract to happen to us. I'm reading on these boards that by taking over the Central States Pension, UPS was allowed to freeze starting salaries at 8.50 til 2013. Some states have a minimum wage higher than that ... now! That's how much I was making loading UPS trucks 20 years ago.
Our Union's job is to protect our rights and work to get us better pay, not provide workers to UPS at Slave wages.
We had our monthly meeting this morning and i picked up 50 of these shirts. Front says 8-1 were done and the back says cod, we deserve it. Theres also a meeting in the works to go over the unions propsal to the company with the members before we give them our offer. As soon as this date is set in stone i will post, but its looking like the 1st couple weeks in march.