8hr day question.

In the BOC (bubble of CACH) you can either go 8 hours (8 paid plus at least a 1/2 hour lunch) or a 7:59 which is 7:59 punch to punch and you better have your butt punched out BY 7:59 or else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Talk about playing into management's hands.

What is the purpose of an 8 hour request? It is used when you need to get done early that day. We change our pay code to 05 and are paid punch to punch. If the goal is to get done early are you really worried about losing a few minutes of paid time? If the goal is to get done early are you really going to take a meal break?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Code 05 is for time worked. I am a guaranteed 8 hour employee so I am coded 06. As I'VE said, even if you work under 8 hours, you get your guaranteed 8 hours pay. I don't give up money.

Article 37, Section 1b
(b) It is the policy of the Employer to cooperate with a package car driver who desires to be relieved of overtime, subject to the under- standing that such package car driver will complete his/her assign- ment, and subject to the provisions below.

An employee who desires to be relieved from overtime on a particular day must make a written request on a form furnished by the Employer. Such a request must be submitted no later than the start of his/her shift on the fifth (5th) calendar day preceding the day being requested. A signed copy of the request form stating approval or dis- approval shall be returned to the employee by the end of the employ- ee’s next working day. Such request shall be granted or denied in accordance with the terms of this sub-section. If a request is denied on the above referenced form, the employee shall receive a two (2) hour penalty payment at his/her straight time rate if the request should have been granted at this time based on the criteria set forth in this sub-section. This two (2) hour payment shall also apply if the Employer approves the request and later informs the employee he/she cannot be relieved of overtime, provided the request continues to meet the criteria set forth in this sub-section.

In addition, if an employee’s request is granted but the Employer fails to adjust the driver’s dispatch so as to provide an amount of work that can reasonably be completed within eight (8) hours which then causes the driver to work in excess of eight and one- half (8.5) hours to complete his/her route, the driver shall be enti- tled to a two (2) hour penalty payment at his/her straight time rate. No penalty shall be due if the employee exceeds the eight and one- half (8.5) hour threshold as a result of events beyond the Employer’s control.

The Center Manager and the Steward shall process such requests based on seniority. The Employer shall allow a minimum of ten percent (10%) of the package car drivers worked in any Center off on a daily basis. No package car driver will be granted more than two (2) requests per month. It is understood that to accomplish the above the Employer may need to provide an earlier start time. It is further understood that the Employer is not obligat-ed to let more than one (I) driver in a loop off at one time. This subsection applies regardless of whether the driver has opted in or out pursuant to the provisions of subsection (c) below. Such requests shall not be submitted during the months of November and December.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the BOC (bubble of CACH) you can either go 8 hours (8 paid plus at least a 1/2 hour lunch) or a 7:59 which is 7:59 punch to punch and you better have your butt punched out BY 7:59 or else.

...which is basically what I was trying to say..,,

If you do go over 8 they will change the code back to 06 and will take out the 45 minute lunch.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What is the purpose of an 8 hour request? It is used when you need to get done early that day. We change our pay code to 05 and are paid punch to punch. If the goal is to get done early are you really worried about losing a few minutes of paid time? If the goal is to get done early are you really going to take a meal break?

The purpose of an 8 hr request is to be dispatched with an 8 hr or slightly less day. In my area, if you worked 8.5 hrs or more, you got paid 2 hrs penalty pay. And, if you notified management early that you were not going to be done in 8 or less hours, they were required to get you help. In other words, the ball was in their court to get you off the clock.

Apparently, in the BOG, they have your sack in their pockets.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The purpose of an 8 hr request is to be dispatched with an 8 hr or slightly less day. In my area, if you worked 8.5 hrs or more, you got paid 2 hrs penalty pay. And, if you notified management early that you were not going to be done in 8 or less hours, they were required to get you help. In other words, the ball was in their court to get you off the clock.

Apparently, in the BOG, they have your sack in their pockets.

This is actually in the national agreement. But apparently in other areas they are allowed to just roll back in with what ever work is still left in their truck in order to punch out before 8 hours.

I file these grievances almost every time I have an 8 hour request because they can never get me in on time. I just filed one on Wednesday.

...which is basically what I was trying to say..,,

If you do go over 8 they will change the code back to 06 and will take out the 45 minute lunch.

I said at the CACH.

If you have a 8 hr and go a few over, no biggie. You're paid what you work.

If you have a 7:59 and you go over you'll show as no lunch reported and the mgr will want to speak to you the next day. Kiss any 7:59s goodbye for a while also.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I said at the CACH.

If you have a 8 hr and go a few over, no biggie. You're paid what you work.

If you have a 7:59 and you go over you'll show as no lunch reported and the mgr will want to speak to you the next day. Kiss any 7:59s goodbye for a while also.
Can I assume this is due to the recent 30 min break mandate (ruled not applicable to package car drivers) by DOT/FMCSA? Was it different previously?

Can I assume this is due to the recent 30 min break mandate (ruled not applicable to package car drivers) by DOT/FMCSA? Was it different previously?

We used to be able to request a "straight 8" meaning 8 hours/no lunch. The new rules have forced how it's done. Lot's of times if you request a 7:59 you won't even work that long.

Theking30

SHORTY
When you run an 8 hr requested day you change the pay code to 05, which is punch to punch.
Negative, we do not change anything in the board. Management responsibility. Modifying things like that will get you fired. If you are told to modify information make sure you have a Stewart or at least another hourly employee around to hear supervisor telling you to.

ManInBrown

Negative, we do not change anything in the board. Management responsibility. Modifying things like that will get you fired. If you are told to modify information make sure you have a Stewart or at least another hourly employee around to hear supervisor telling you to.

I don't get along with Stewart.

ManInBrown

The contract....SAYS you are guaranteed 8 hours pay!....Doesnt say that you have to work 8 hours!....Code 05 Is only....Good Friday and Christmas eve,....If...only you agree to it!......The rest of the year is code 06....PERIOD

I know we're guaranteed 8 hours pay. Im saying if you put in 05, for whatever reason, it waives the guarantee