9.5 List and Cover Drivers

PPH_over_9000

I'm curious-- as a cover driver, what conditions need to be met in order for a 9.5 grievance to be successful? I'm getting mixed information from two stewards in my center. One says it's going over 9.5 three or more days in a week, the other says the same with the caveat that you have to be on the same route all week.

I asked my BA a while back while he was in the building, but he's never gotten back to me and I suspect he's long ago forgotten the issue.

As a cover RPCD on the 9.5 list, this kind of makes 9.5 grievances feel like a joke.

Any insight is most welcome. Local 639.

YeeYee

Depending on your supplement, but as a TCD in ours, there is no 9.5 protection or 8 hour requests. In ours, if you were to be a RPCD but a "floater" covering bid routes, you would have to cover the same route for a week to be able to even get on the 9.5 list.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Atlantic supplement states you have to be on the same route for the entire week. Unless you sign a vacation bid list for a route for the week, they can take you off the route for multiple days or never put you on it at all and you’re 9.5 protected

10:30 resi

Atlantic supplement states you have to be on the same route for the entire week. Unless you sign a vacation bid list for a route for the week, they can take you off the route for multiple days or never put you on it at all and you’re 9.5 protected
Are you talking about this in article 37 of the NMA? Or where in the supplement are you looking?
Screenshot_20230620-213010.png

Also isn't that part of article 37 over ridden by this part of 22.4(b)?
Screenshot_20230620-213129.png

@PPH_over_9000 are you a RPCD without an assigned route, or are you a reg-temp or whatever they call it in your supplement?
I am RPCD without assigned route in the Atlantic, couldn't tell you the last time I covered a route all week and I get paid on 9.5 like anyone else.

PPH_over_9000

RPCD without an assigned route. I managed to win a bid on a route that got put up around August last year (I think we lost an employee) and lost it in quick fashion this past February.

I've got a ton of company seniority but only been FT for a few years now, so I'm squarely at the bottom of the RPCD/0300 seniority list. Been cover ever since and I absolutely hate the unpredictability and the fact that my day is going to be predicated on who doesn't want to work, and nothing's set in stone until I leave the building in a package car.

Even 10min after PCM, if I'm still around trying to verify my airs there's a good chance a supe is gonna pop up and say "Hey, we just put you on 99Z, we forgot someone on the looking list"

"But they weren't on the looking list," I try to tell them.

"Yeah, but they called in at 7:30 and asked for the day but we forgot to actually put their name up," I'm told over and over again.

RPCD without an assigned route. I managed to win a bid on a route that got put up around August last year (I think we lost an employee) and lost it in quick fashion this past February.

I've got a ton of company seniority but only been FT for a few years now, so I'm squarely at the bottom of the RPCD/0300 seniority list.
Do you have Saturday delivery operations and 22.4 working in your building?

PPH_over_9000

Do you have Saturday delivery operations and 22.4 working in your building?

We sure do! But hell, I've been forced to report for Saturdays the past month and a half or so? Maybe three months,, hard to tell.... everything's just kind of a blur.

There's guys in another center in my building that have been working 6-days for over two years now (special situation created when they split the building into two centers and allowed people to choose where to go based on seniority despite their bidded route) so I know that's not as bad as it can get, but dawg I swear to God I'm so tired of being popped from one route to the next either at PCM or right after.

We sure do! But hell, I've been forced to report for Saturdays the past month and a half or so? Maybe three months,, hard to tell.... everything's just kind of a blur.

There's guys in another center in my building that have been working 6-days for over two years now (special situation created when they split the building into two centers and allowed people to choose where to go based on seniority despite their bidded route) so I know that's not as bad as it can get, but dawg I swear to God I'm so tired of being popped from one route to the next either at PCM or right after.
Then you can file without covering or having bid to cover the same route all week. File away but don't hold your breath waiting for change, they'll just pay you.

PPH_over_9000

Then you can file without covering or having bid to cover the same route all week. File away but don't hold your breath waiting for change, they'll just pay you.

My guy! I can't lie, that's exactly what I wanted to hear but I still won't believe it until I'm awarded a grievance check.

Just trying to line everything up before I take my shot, but my hands are still a little shaky, you know?

I appreciate you guys. I probably would've quit a long time ago if I didn't have resources like BC to rely upon.

Staydryitsraining

2 times over in a week you can file. 3 times you can file and get paid. Can not file if your on a assigned route but bump off of it. Obviously that's not pertinent to bidded drivers.

pkgdriver

I've got a ton of company seniority but only been FT for a few years now, so I'm squarely at the bottom of the RPCD/0300 seniority list. Been cover ever since and I absolutely hate the unpredictability and the fact that my day is going to be predicated on who doesn't want to work, and nothing's set in stone until I leave the building in a package car.

Even 10min after PCM, if I'm still around trying to verify my airs there's a good chance a supe is gonna pop up and say "Hey, we just put you on 99Z, we forgot someone on the looking list"

"But they weren't on the looking list," I try to tell them.

"Yeah, but they called in at 7:30 and asked for the day but we forgot to actually put their name up," I'm told over and over again.
Sounds like you have some retar…I mean special supervisors..Ours usually did a pretty good job with that. Have you gotten 5 stops into your route and have to come back for a different route? Thats always a fun one. Work as instructed.

PPH_over_9000

Sounds like you have some retar…I mean special supervisors..Ours usually did a pretty good job with that. Have you gotten 5 stops into your route and have to come back for a different route? Thats always a fun one. Work as instructed.

5 stops and come back? No, but I have gotten about 30 stops in and they shuttled out the bidded driver to take over because he showed up late and there's some sort of backroom agreement going on because this :censored2:ing guy always shows up late, they just couldn't get a hold of him that day to verify.

Honestly? I can't truthfully call it but my gut tells me that it's not my on-roads and its not our dispatch folks-- everything they do to mess with me comes down from our building manager's boss (district or region manager? dude runs 3 or 4 buildings) after we kind of sort of got into it when I fell out from heat exhaustion a few years back.

Like, the dude literally called me either lazy or stupid the day I got out of the hospital (got a phone call requesting my presence at the building, which in hindsight I should've just rejected), and he wasn't sure which one it was so he guessed maybe it was a little of both.

Then I was on TWA for too long and abusing the system.

Eventually I couldn't hold my tongue anymore and ever since things have been.... different.

pkgdriver

5 stops in a come back? No, but I have gotten about 30 stops in and they shuttled out the bidded driver to take over because he showed up late and there's some sort of backroom agreement going on because this :censored2:ing guy always shows up late, they just couldn't get a hold of him that day to verify.

Honestly? I can't truthfully call it but my gut tells me that it's not my on-roads and its not our dispatch folks-- everything they do to mess with me comes down from our building manager's boss (district or region manager? dude runs 3 or 4 buildings) after we kind of sort of got into it when I fell out from heat exhaustion a few years back.
That sucks. Pretty much the same thing.
Probably Division Manager.
I think I remember you posting about the heat issue.

PPH_over_9000

That sucks. Pretty much the same thing.
Probably Division Manager.
I think I remember you posting about the heat issue.
Duuuuude I thought I was dying.

I definitely posted about it in some form.

I've slowed down since. Some drivers might call me a turtle, or a slug? idk the vernacular for it but I'm not killing myself for a pension that I'll never see because, well :censored2: me, I went ahead and killed myself.

Fido

Are you talking about this in article 37 of the NMA? Or where in the supplement are you looking?
View attachment 433784
View attachment 433785
@PPH_over_9000 are you a RPCD without an assigned route, or are you a reg-temp or whatever they call it in your supplement?
I am RPCD without assigned route in the Atlantic, couldn't tell you the last time I covered a route all week and I get paid on 9.5 like anyone else.
22.4s have no rights. That’s a huge issue in this negotiation now with eliminating it and making all drivers 0300s.
Op stated 9.5 protection. 22.4s don’t get that.

Fido

View attachment 433784
View attachment 433785
If you filed a 9.5 grievance and didn’t get paid for it you should have filed additional grievances on not getting your penalty pay.