A small nugget of what is sure to be many changes in the coming weeks

Kevinmevin

Going back to the 28% increase rumor, I was wondering how exactly USPS volume is handled within the Express System, are the containers actually broken down and run through our sorters, or do we just move there containers to USPS hubs then they are broken down and sorted. Reason Im asking is, if USPS were to move some of there volume over to ground, that currently goes through express, would that contribute to part of the 28% increase figure.? The technology is there already over at ground to communicate with USPS already.... think smartpost systems.

vantexan

It is you who have missed the point, my supposed small government friend. We don't have an oil shortage. We have gasoline stored off shore and being transported over seas to make maximum profit. Sometimes the policy is to do nothing and that policy works more than fine.

Who said anything about a shortage? We're swimming in it. But the Dems are beholden to environmental extremists who want zero carbon emissions. Unobtainable. My point is Obama is taking credit for something that he had nothing to do with.

winglas

That could be true with SmartPost, but I was refering to actual USPS stuff they bring directly to the ramp or comes in on the trucks. Its already presorted into bulk bags or boxes so we arent dealing with 5 million individual little envelopes and extra packages, but U.S mail does go through our sort system and is routed to the appropriate ramp. Im assuming the post office picks it up from the destination ramp much the same way they dropped it off and do their thing from there since we arent allowed to open any USPS mail bags, boxes, or packages.

bbsam

Staff member
Who said anything about a shortage? We're swimming in it. But the Dems are beholden to environmental extremists who want zero carbon emissions. Unobtainable. My point is Obama is taking credit for something that he had nothing to do with.
Well, hell. I should think that Obama should continue on with what he is doing. Why not take credit for something "he had nothing to do with". Worked in foreign policy as well in Libya. The whole "leading from behind" worked out pretty well I'd say. What makes you think that "doing something" is always the decision for progress. Seems like this time "not doing something" is what is effective.

CJinx

Smartpost deliveries to the post office come in the form of mail sacks full of small packages. These bags are filled and sorted by central facilities similar to hubs except they only handle smartpost freight. The only thing that really confuses me is that local post offices refuse to take any boxes that were put in the wrong bag. For some reason, they think it is better for us to take several days to rectify the issue vs. them just putting their boxes into their mail system. No wonder the post office is going under.

Last edited:

vantexan

Well, hell. I should think that Obama should continue on with what he is doing. Why not take credit for something "he had nothing to do with". Worked in foreign policy as well in Libya. The whole "leading from behind" worked out pretty well I'd say. What makes you think that "doing something" is always the decision for progress. Seems like this time "not doing something" is what is effective.

Because he has worked to restrict drilling as much as he can. And if the Democrats had retained the House his energy plans would have made life very expensive for all of us. Said so himself in 2008, designed to wean us off carbon fuels and yet there's no viable alternative.

bbsam

Staff member
Because he has worked to restrict drilling as much as he can. And if the Democrats had retained the House his energy plans would have made life very expensive for all of us. Said so himself in 2008, designed to wean us off carbon fuels and yet there's no viable alternative.
I guess I just don't see the problem. He also worked to raise CAFE standards and now there are literally hundreds of cars that will get 30 m.p.g. and a bunch that easily hit 40 making it seem like all the crying about the 2020 goals being impossible seem ludicrous. Fact is, if we decided we didn't need 400 hp 4 ton behemoths to run to Walgreens, 55 m.p.g. would be here before you knew it. Besides, seems like restricting domestic production would have done the industry well since they now face overproduction regardless of private or public lands. Again, Obama proves smarter than the "experts".

mitchel

swing drivers are now the ones being displaced. i have worked barely 30 hours for the last 2 months. how will we be placed into this "new system"

vantexan

And though it is still a carbon fuel, Natural Gas is far cleaner and extremely viable.

And yet the environmentalists tried to kill fracking. We can't seem to get the high mpg vehicles they have in Europe. Could it be the tax per gallon that pays for roads and other things? The cars aren't higher mpg because of Obama. The marketplace decides. Lower priced gas? Bigger, thirstier vehicles. What Obama is is the most profligate spender in the history of the republic. They're breaking the bank, and Europe's big governments should give you a clue where it's headed.

thedownhillEXPRESS

And yet the environmentalists tried to kill fracking. We can't seem to get the high mpg vehicles they have in Europe. Could it be the tax per gallon that pays for roads and other things? The cars aren't higher mpg because of Obama. The marketplace decides. Lower priced gas? Bigger, thirstier vehicles. What Obama is is the most profligate spender in the history of the republic. They're breaking the bank, and Europe's big governments should give you a clue where it's headed.

You do realize your job has slowly been given away because of Fred's tremendous republican donations?
seems like a lot of misplaced anger.

Ricochet1a

and i also lost out on weekly minimums because i refused to take a 4.5 hour "lunch" to do a 2 hour pup route

Perhaps Vantexan would care to comment on this, since he doesn't believe that Express will go to extraordinary lengths to get full time employees to quit of their own accord (due to insane scheduling requirements)?

I hate to say it, but what you are experiencing now is going to be what many full-timers are going to be experiencing in 2-3 years on a regular basis...

All to help "motivate" them to either drop to part-time status or hit the door.

vantexan

You do realize your job has slowly been given away because of Fred's tremendous republican donations?
seems like a lot of misplaced anger.

You do realize it was Fred's millions in donations to Democrat Congressmen when Democrats completely controlled the government that kept the FAA bill with the Express Employees Relief Act attached from passing? We could be voting for a union station by station right now but the Democrats are all talk. And it isn't about anger, it's about getting this country back on track.

Ricochet1a

I actually agree with Vantexan's statement above. Enough FedEx money was being passed around in 2009-10 to keep enough Democrats from pushing to pull Express' RLA status (the "Relief Act" portion of the FAA Reauthorization Act).

The Democrats in 2009-10 had one major piece of legislation on their plate - Health Care. Everything else took a back seat to it in order to get enough arms twisted to ram health care through. Now by all estimation, the entire bit of health care legislation will be voided out by the Supreme Court and the Democrats will have absolutely NOTHING to show for their two years of controlling government. There's blame to go around to everyone for what the Express employees are experiencing and about to experience - even including the employees of Express among those that hold blame (they wouldn't organize to save themselves).

vantexan

Perhaps Vantexan would care to comment on this, since he doesn't believe that Express will go to extraordinary lengths to get full time employees to quit of their own accord (due to insane scheduling requirements)?

I hate to say it, but what you are experiencing now is going to be what many full-timers are going to be experiencing in 2-3 years on a regular basis...

All to help "motivate" them to either drop to part-time status or hit the door.

What I said was the long crazy hours you mentioned just won't work in many stations. Smaller window. And you can't get around the huge mountain called the economy. The topped out couriers hanging on until Social Security are in a much better position to do so than younger couriers making much less. If I were at B payscale top-out, $22.57hr, and told I was not going to get more than 40 but will get at least 35hrs I'd shrug and deal with it. Where am I and 10's of thousands of others going to go and make that much right away and have 4 or 5 weeks of vacation, plus personals and floating holidays, sick pay bonus, and a couple of little bonuses? The young guys are going to get discouraged and there may be some serious anger repercussions. Heck, a topped out courier on 35hrs still makes more than I do on 40.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Actually democrat oberstar had the bill passed in the house, two republican senators from Tennessee filibustered the bill in the senate which garnered national attention because of the families of the buffalo commuter crash pleas to pass the bill..