A solution to the excessive overtime problem

brown_trousers

I was chatting with a buddy who works as a police officer in our city. He tells me his union negotiated an overtime option, to give officers the choice of taking worked overtime as pay or instead have those hours credited to their vacation time. Seems like the perfect solution for us to negotiate for next contract.

brown_trousers

Some of us would end up only working six month the following year. Might lead to a bit of a staffing problem.

Thats the beauty of it, it would force them to hire an appropriate amount of FT drivers. Don't tell me you wouldn't want more time at home with your family... even if it meant not making as much overtime income.

Thats the beauty of it, it would force them to hire an appropriate amount of FT drivers. Don't tell me you wouldn't want more time at home with your family... even if it meant not making as much overtime income.
I get all I want. There`s times I go in just to sit in the truck in peace and quiet. Gotta love the DOT hours of service rule.

hembone

I was chatting with a buddy who works as a police officer in our city. He tells me his union negotiated an overtime option, to give officers the choice of taking worked overtime as pay or instead have those hours credited to their vacation time. Seems like the perfect solution for us to negotiate for next contract.

There was a rumor in our building a few years ago UPS wanted to do just that. After 8 hours OT you get a day off. They pay no OT and you get a 3 day weekend. It was supposed to be a voluntary thing but nothing ever became of. I doubt if it was even true, I really can't see how it would work with the hours drivers put in.

brownelf

Double time for work after 9hrs, triple time after 10. The only way to reduce it make cheaper to put a few more guys on the road than to pay the overtime. As far as vacations go how about an additional week of vacation when you get to 30yrs. Many of us will be unable to retire until well past the 30yr mark in order to get a full pension, why do we stop the vacation progression at 25yrs? Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

DS

Fenderbender
I would assume that the day off would be unpaid, which would reduce the OT from 1.5 to .5, hardly making it worth it.

It would have to be 1.5 . In other words you would get 1 1/2 days vacation in lieu of 8 hours OT pay.
I think it's a great idea.It would be nice to lock your OT in at 8 hours max and the rest accumulates as vacation.
Ups could use the lower paid newbies to cover your off days,and save money.
Everyone wins.

hdkappler

that would be nice.i bet they could get that in contract.if they for a new president of teamsters.

hdkappler

that sounds good.i would of liked that.course since i'am semi retired i talk to women and men. who would love to have 10 hours a week overtime.some of them say ups drivers are lucky because of overtime over 8hours.instead 40 hours the ot.

JonFrum

Most states have laws requiring overtime pay after 40 hours in a week. Does anyone know if it would be legal to pass up overtime pay and convert it to vacation time?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would have to be 1.5 . In other words you would get 1 1/2 days vacation in lieu of 8 hours OT pay.
I think it's a great idea.It would be nice to lock your OT in at 8 hours max and the rest accumulates as vacation.
Ups could use the lower paid newbies to cover your off days,and save money.
Everyone wins.

I didn't want to do the math as I am still not feeling well but here goes. 8 hours @ $45/hr is $360. 8 hours @ $30/hr is $240. If you work the 8 hours OT before Friday you would then get Friday off, which the OP does not specify but I would have to assume would be unpaid. $360-$240=$120, which is 8 hours @$15/hr, or an OT rate of .5 of your hourly rate.

Double time for work after 9hrs, triple time after 10. The only way to reduce it make cheaper to put a few more guys on the road than to pay the overtime. As far as vacations go how about an additional week of vacation when you get to 30yrs. Many of us will be unable to retire until well past the 30yr mark in order to get a full pension, why do we stop the vacation progression at 25yrs? Just a thought.

We get our 8th week of vaca after 30 here.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We just brought in 6 new permanents and we`re supposed to get 8 seasonal.
I wonder what It would take for 705red to hook me up? I certainly is a nice thought. Package sucks. Feeders is where it's at! And, you make more. Can't beat that!!