Adding extra RTD trainer

zeev

Adding another RTD trainer rumor is trying to train as many RTDs as the Express stations close after peak.

Artee

Could be more runs from the airports since there are more Ground buildings than Express.
Why would we be running more ground freight from the airport? I thought ground freight came in on the ground? We get some Ground freight at our Ramp, but thats because that freight is delayed or already late. You cant make a habit of flying on time Ground freight for a cheap price and maintain a fleet of aircraft and pilots.

Artee

Adding another RTD trainer rumor is trying to train as many RTDs as the Express stations close after peak.
We scratch our heads about the same thing at our location. They keep hiring drivers. Our RTDA is about maxed out at times and takes a long time to get new people through training. Could be like what some of the Freight guys have been saying(not on here), that they are pulling Freight, Ground and Express trailers. Maybe all the FDX truck drivers will move freight for each other. Though Freight was not mentioned to be part of the new FedEx One consolidation.

It will be fine

Why would we be running more ground freight from the airport? I thought ground freight came in on the ground? We get some Ground freight at our Ramp, but thats because that freight is delayed or already late. You cant make a habit of flying on time Ground freight for a cheap price and maintain a fleet of aircraft and pilots.
My point was they may be planning on running express volume to the Ground terminals straight from the airport. That would take more drivers.

Artee

My point was they may be planning on running express volume to the Ground terminals straight from the airport. That would take more drivers.
They have been doing that for a while now. Since ground has no ball mats, we have to build three-sided cans. The amount of volume that has been going to ground has been shrinking from three positions down to one. Don't need more drivers to take freight to ground.

DeliveryException

If you are taking packages from Express, they need less drivers for Express and more for Ground. Say 5 drivers taking 5 trailers to Express, now instead have maybe 3 to express and 2 ground. Same amount needed just different end locations.
But I'm just hourly, what do I know?

Artee

If you are taking packages from Express, they need less drivers for Express and more for Ground. Say 5 drivers taking 5 trailers to Express, now instead have maybe 3 to express and 2 ground. Same amount needed just different end locations.
But I'm just hourly, what do I know?
That is exactly it. Its just a reallocation of resources. You don't need to hire more drivers to take freight over to ground. Those drivers are already in place. Since our RT and could be many others, are on shifts, not routes, it does not matter what your work assignment is as long as you are able to keep close to your bid start and end times.

Artee

Why not have ground trucks get it from the airport?
Maybe some day they will, but the ground facilities around here do not have roller decks. Therefore they don't have roller trailers and would either have to borrow trailers from Express or rent some. When we take freight to ground they have to use three sided cans on our end and ground would use their extenda roller to go through the cans to make their way to the front of the trailer.

Ground is not set up for containerized freight at this time. That can change anytime FedEx wants it to change, but so far has not done it in this area.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Maybe some day they will, but the ground facilities around here do not have roller decks. Therefore they don't have roller trailers and would either have to borrow trailers from Express or rent some. When we take freight to ground they have to use three sided cans on our end and ground would use their extenda roller to go through the cans to make their way to the front of the trailer.

Ground is not set up for containerized freight at this time. That can change anytime FedEx wants it to change, but so far has not done it in this area.
Is there some difficulty I am missing in hooking up a Ground tractor to an Express trailer? Express must have plenty of trailers available, unless they crushed them in anticipation of the changeover.

Artee

Is there some difficulty I am missing in hooking up a Ground tractor to an Express trailer? Express must have plenty of trailers available, unless they crushed them in anticipation of the changeover.
What good is an express trailer to ground? Unless they're using a dry bed? They could load five AAD's in an express trailer for ground and have them come pick it up, but ground has no way of getting the cans off the trailer. Unless the ground facility has a scissor lift and a ball mat, Express trailers are useless to them unless they're going to be bulk loaded or use three-sided cans.