Advice for Female

L

local804

I still think the Lock of the year will be the Yankees in 2004.Actually, How about the LA Lakers for a lock. OMFG...........

D

dannyboy

GRL

Being a helper is a two edged sword, it can help but hurt you also, all depending on the driver you are paired with.

Well over half of the drivers, both delivery and feeders, have been helpers for me at one time or the other. But I have also had outsiders that never went anywhere with UPS. So my advice would be to get in the door as a part timer, then as a helper. That will allow you to show management what you are capable of.

I like your attitude. I allways believed in give me someone that wants to learn, and I can make them into a good UPS man/woman. To be a great one cant be taught, it has to be lived.

Oh and for robotic, someone that refers to themselves in the third person and has no further ambition than a part time clerk, I sure as hell would never take advice from someone like that.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on November 07, 2003)

T

trouble1903

GRL, if you want it; you can do. Just look at it like dealing with children, pick your fights and learn where the bathroom on route are.

G

grl

To anyone interested, I applied for both the driver's helper position as well as the package handler position. I have an interview on Monday for the helper job and a tour for Tuesday for the handler job. Thanks for all the comments.

M

mr_roboto

"We really do need more woman!!"

Why?? Still haven't met the quota yet??

roboto

T

toonertoo

Mr Roboto, you are so mean, tell us why you dislike women in the workplace? or anywhere else, why do you think we are only a quota. I am offended, well not really this is only a board. My fellow drivers are not like you, guess I am lucky.

M

mr_roboto

I was hurt and deeply offended by the comment "we need more woman (sic)" What a disrespectful and highly sexist remark.

But I got to thinking...maybe there is a quota system at UPS regarding the ratio of men to women employees? Is there? If so I would like more details.

If not...stating a need for more of one particular sex is a highly sexist and politically incorrect comment.

I certainly believe UPS can currently use more motivated hires...but I would never indicate a preference of one sex over the other in the UPS workplace.

I merely asked a question or two and you insult me.

How dare you woman?

roboto

D

dammor

"We really do need more women!!"

"Why?? Still haven't met the quota yet??
roboto

Seems to me the quota for male clerk jerks is full in your area. Just took you to fill it.
Are you jealous that a woman driver/handler/preloader/clerk, or whatever can do more than the male part-time clerk/wrestler, or do you just not like women? Tooner is right, you are not a good example of the men who work at UPS. By they way, you're belt is stunning.
Could you make the picture bigger?

M

mr_roboto

Name calling won't solve problems.
Why don't you just answer my questions?

roboto

D

dammor

Roboto,
I don't know, but if there is a quota, either it is very low or not enforced. Why are you so concerned about this issue?

T

tieguy

Lets be honest. If 5 percent of your workforce is female then there clearly is a problem. That does not mean that your purposely discriminating but at the same time your operation may not be making them feel welcome or your operation may be making them feel uncomfortable. Now we can sit here and eloquently argue the merits of equal opportunity, prejudice , reverse prejudice, quotas and what is and is not a sexist remark. But the fact is the government will mandate and outright enforce the equal opportunity laws and if your operation is not hiring and retaining enough females there is hell to pay. Besides I'd rather look at a cute girl than you any day.

D

dannyboy

"But I got to thinking"

Your Problem #1

"Why don't you just answer my questions?"

Maybe because you dont ask intelligent questions?

"That's right! And once you are in you'll have it made. The girls in my center get away with murder because the suits are terrified of a harassment claim."

THat is about the most stupid.....

"We really do need more woman!!"

"Why?? Still haven't met the quota yet??"

Say that at corp. and find out how fast YOU will need a job.

WHat can I say. IT is better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than to open mouth and remove all doubt.

d

D

dannyboy

Roboto

You know, I have been trying to figure you out.

Not motivated, trying to get by on as little as you can each day, and not one thing more.

Dont like women.

Likes being around men that scream loudly instead of talking. Men that like beating the hell out of each other.

Dont like women.

Thinks that a good time is wrassilin around with other stinking sweaty guys that scream at each other.

Quite possibly afraid of women, or at least intimidated by them.

I know I missed something, cant figure out what it is. Maybe it will come to me tomorrow.

d

Did I mention not liking women?