Advice: Thinking of becoming a P/T supervisor. P/t socal worker here

I've worked for UPS since 08' and i am on a collision course towards my 2nd year in under 5 months. I'm a worker in So-cal and I'm considering a change. I'm in my 20s. No degree but a ton of college courses completed with no intention of going back for months.

I've always been a productive rapid-fire employee not out of neccessity or fear but because that's the type of guy i am. From what i've been told i'd be a top contender since i'm held in solid regard.

Anyway, my hub has a few openings i heard, was told, and noticed. I am considering putting in a letter very soon. Currently, i'm making a few bucks over the starting pay because of progressive raises and having moved around the hub for slight wage increases.

I'm not afraid of more responsibility nor a few suits moaning their discontent at me. What does bother me slightly is the ability to get terminated without the union's backing.

I'm going to ask some guys at my hub but i'd also like to know you guys opinions as well. It's a process and i'd like a idea of what i might be getting into.

I heard your wage would be prorated and added into the equation to figure your starting sup pay?

What is a socal sup starting pay? Are they offered sick days, option days, option week, vacation, if so at what rate? Do you guys think it would be stable to make this transition give the current circumstances etc?

How long is the training process? Does my sup salary kick in immediately?
Are p/t sups required to do any mandatory weekend work? How often are they given re-training, testing, meetings, outside duties outside the realm of their respective areas? In other words, as well, how much outside/before shift time would i be at their disposal here.

Money is about 50% of the reason, 25% challenge, and 25% self-preservation. I've also noticed my body is increasingly tired with the ripping and running, my other job, and double shifting for UPS 2-4x's extra a week. I know there's no one size fits all answer.

I just need varying advice from a diverse and knowledgeable group of guys here on this board. Please feel free to ask me questions or tell me things i may not be aware of as well. :happy-very:

paidslave

I think you are going into management for all the wrong reasons. Whats in it for you!

We have way to many management people with this belief. This is why the packages get crushed, customers get lost, employees get pissed off..ect ect ect!

Do it because you want to make this a better company. Happy employees makes happy return customer day in and day out. Customers don't have to fear a route cutting cut to save $300 losing several customers that day because **** gets lost broken and pickups get missed!

Go into management to make a difference and not whats in it for you!

my2cents!

ps: Keep the integrity and someone will notice you in the very very long run!

hopefully..........

rod

Retired 22 years
I would advise you to slam your fingers in a car door a dozen times so you get you mind off this foolishness. If you have any pipedream at all about making a difference at UPS you are sorely mistaken. Even a center manager can't "make any difference" now days. The name of managements game is to be a good :puppet: . You are 1000 times better off staying hourly.

I think you are going into management for all the wrong reasons. Whats in it for you!

We have way to many management people with this belief. This is why the packages get crushed, customers get lost, employees get pissed off..ect ect ect!

Do it because you want to make this a better company. Happy employees makes happy return customer day in and day out. Customers don't have to fear a route cutting cut to save $300 losing several customers that day because **** gets lost broken and pickups get missed!

Go into management to make a difference and not whats in it for you!

my2cents!

ps: Keep the integrity and someone will notice you in the very very long run!

hopefully..........

Well, that's the thing. I do want to make a difference, to me its a self explanatory aspect of the job. It goes without saying as far as the reasons i cited.

I'm in the trenches and see poor managing skills, mediocrity, bad strategy, etc. I order online a lot and i have a lot of respect for people whose hard earned goods are damaged and or delayed.

We are short staffed as it is but i feel i can utilize workers strengths and weaknesses. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see a guy trudging back and forth in a 53ft trailer and realizing i should go grab the rollers for him or her. Which few sups do as it is.

I see so much mediocrity and bs. I'd say 40% of our current sups lucked out and are worthless. Even guys i have known who are now sups have a uppity entitled attitude.

I would advise you to slam your fingers in a car door a dozen times so you get you mind off this foolishness. If you have any pipedream at all about making a difference at UPS you are sorely mistaken. Even a center manager can't "make any difference" now days. The name of managements game is to be a good :puppet: . You are 1000 times better off staying hourly.

I understand you mentioning how difficult it is to change a culture and being a puppet for those above me.

There is no "s" across my chest. My purpose is to change that which is within my control. I'm looking out for the guys grinding it out everyday because i'm one of them.

I believe i am better off staying hourly as well, however, the way my body responds at times does concern me. I also do get bored being dragged all over the hub to do x-y-z

UPSGUY72

If you want an dead end job apply for the PT Sup job. I have yet to see a PT SUP get promoted in my building but I have seen many come and go.

I would advise you against quitting the Teamster union but if you do i'll be sure to say "I told you so" when you start crying about your big mistake.

nineyearsUGH

You will be the same meat in a different grinder if you take the sup position. I prefer the grinder with union protection, that's why I shred my letter every year.
P/T sups at UPS making a difference in the operation? Maybe I am too cynical, or too realistic, but that's funny. In my center, they do paperwork, observations, and call for preloaders to help snow blow bulk into cars at the end of the day. How are they going to affect change?

--aside--I always like the newbies that get the letter in the mail and think it is a big compliment, or something, not realizing that the letter is sent to everyone.

I would advise you against quitting the Teamster union but if you do i'll be sure to say "I told you so" when you start crying about your big mistake.

Hey, i absolutely hear you and i can see myself saying that if that's what i decide to do. I'm still gathering information, im planning on speaking with a few people soon. Including a driver with over 30yrs experience who is deep in union activities to give me his 2cent.

You will be the same meat in a different grinder if you take the sup position. I prefer the grinder with union protection, that's why I shred my letter every year.
P/T sups at UPS making a difference in the operation? Maybe I am too cynical, or too realistic, but that's funny. In my center, they do paperwork, observations, and call for preloaders to help snow blow bulk into cars at the end of the day. How are they going to affect change?

--aside--I always like the newbies that get the letter in the mail and think it is a big compliment, or something, not realizing that the letter is sent to everyone.

I've never heard of a letter being sent out. Perhaps its regional? In my hub you're never encouraged. It's something you've got to want independently and you inquire about it and go through the neccessary steps.

I hear you about the union representation and its something that is huge in my possible decision.

brownrod

I've never heard of a letter being sent out. Perhaps its regional? In my hub you're never encouraged. It's something you've got to want independently and you inquire about it and go through the neccessary steps.

I get a yearly letter telling me of the great opportunities in FT and PT management with UPS. I think it's a huge waste of time and money. And whoever decides to send out these letters should be fired or demoted.

ni3dd

I've worked for UPS since 08' and i am on a collision course towards my 2nd year in under 5 months. I'm a worker in So-cal and I'm considering a change. I'm in my 20s. No degree but a ton of college courses completed with no intention of going back for months.

I've always been a productive rapid-fire employee not out of neccessity or fear but because that's the type of guy i am. From what i've been told i'd be a top contender since i'm held in solid regard.

Anyway, my hub has a few openings i heard, was told, and noticed. I am considering putting in a letter very soon. Currently, i'm making a few bucks over the starting pay because of progressive raises and having moved around the hub for slight wage increases.

I'm not afraid of more responsibility nor a few suits moaning their discontent at me. What does bother me slightly is the ability to get terminated without the union's backing.

I'm going to ask some guys at my hub but i'd also like to know you guys opinions as well. It's a process and i'd like a idea of what i might be getting into.

I heard your wage would be prorated and added into the equation to figure your starting sup pay?

What is a socal sup starting pay? Are they offered sick days, option days, option week, vacation, if so at what rate? Do you guys think it would be stable to make this transition give the current circumstances etc?

How long is the training process? Does my sup salary kick in immediately?
Are p/t sups required to do any mandatory weekend work? How often are they given re-training, testing, meetings, outside duties outside the realm of their respective areas? In other words, as well, how much outside/before shift time would i be at their disposal here.

Money is about 50% of the reason, 25% challenge, and 25% self-preservation. I've also noticed my body is increasingly tired with the ripping and running, my other job, and double shifting for UPS 2-4x's extra a week. I know there's no one size fits all answer.

I just need varying advice from a diverse and knowledgeable group of guys here on this board. Please feel free to ask me questions or tell me things i may not be aware of as well. :happy-very:

ni3dd

You will be alot happier if you wait and sign a driver's seniority list. You can get out at 25 years. What you should really do is finish college and get a job less demanding on your body. I have been a driver for almost 23 years and my body is all but worn out.

joerule65

I think you should go for it. I was in the Teamsters since I was 23, I am now 30. I was with roadway for several years and when I got laid off last year I drove Feeders as a casual for a few months until being asked if I wanted to be a PT preload sup. I jumped at the chance. I want to move up in the company. I did take a pay cut, but I am looking at my long term career goals. I'm not saying the transition was easy. A few people on the shift resent me, in my opinion, just for being a supervisor and nothing more. However, what I have found, is that, even though I have a job to do, goals to meet, and a FT preload manager to keep happy, I enjoy my job. It seems I am slowly gaining the respect of most of the preload shift because I was once a member of the union and understand how management can sometimes do stupid things for no good reason. When I have to ask them to do something, I take the extra step and tell them why I am asking them to do it, and how it affects the overall operation. Most of the time I feel that they appreciate being in the loop. Everyone likes knowing what they are doing makes an impact, no matter how insignificant it may seem to them at the time. I try to put myself in their shoes and remember back to all those times when I was a union member and how certain things that management did to me pissed me off, and not do to them. I treat them how I wanted to be treated when I was a union member. To me, that seems to be the biggest obstacle, breaking the cycle of lack of respect for management from the union. I'm not trying to be their friends, I am trying to do my job the best way I can, and make their work experience as positive as it can be. We all get asked to do things at work we would rather not do, but if you ask it the right way, and treat everyone how you would want to be treated no matter if they are union, management or other, we would all like going to work a lot more. I just try to keep things in perspective. I need to keep my FT sup happy and make him look good to his supervisors, and keep the hourly content, show them respect for the job they do, follow through with things they ask of me and I say I can do, and make them as productive and safe as I can on a daily basis. If you keep all of this in mind, tough it out till you can go to full time, you should be successful at UPS. I hope I can do the same. Good luck!

pretzel_man

Kreator:

Everyone's situation is different, but I went into management as a part time supervisor over 30 years ago. It was a great decision for me. It enabled a long and happy career.

However, my reasons were drastically different than yours I'm afraid.....

I was going to school and that was my priority. I went into supervision because I wanted to make a difference. I thought I could do a better job than those already there. But most importantly it would provide me experience to help with school and a career in the long term.

I didn't know what the starting pay was. I didn't do it because I thought the work was easier (it wasn't). I wasn't worried (and never have been) about not having union backing. Etc....

Be careful. The quickest way to dissatisfaction is to go into supervision for the wrong reason. This is a career change.

Good luck,

P-Man

tieguy

Banned
I hate these types of threads.

There are two worlds of UPS. One where people generally come to work and try to work together to get the job done.

And then the paranoid delusional world described by many here.

Sounds like you're entering into this job with your eyes wide open and a good sense for what the job involves. I would promote you simply off your posts.

onewithedd

You sound as if you good integrity. If you wish to keep it, I would advise against it. In my 18 yrs at UPS I have met only one good Business Manager that didn't meet the UPS criteria for management, and he lasted a little over a year (he cared more about the employees). What is the criteria I mentioned, you ask?

LDF - The ability to LIE, DENY & FALSIFY

Plus you will have to pay for part of your health benefits.