'Removed from Service' for waiting for pick ups.

Simple context is we had a very VERY light day. Even with cut routes it was extraordinarily light. Once I finished my deliveries, lunch, and break I still had a good amount of time til pick ups. So I ended up waiting almost 2 hours just to start pick ups. Eventually did the pick ups, finished the day, and went home.

Fast forward a few days later and I get pulled into the office and questioned about the day. Was honest in my answers and kept them short and concise. Was told I'm being removed from service pending an investigation since I didn't check in when I finished deliveries.

I've never had a day like that where I was so light and had finished so early. The entire building was essentially a ghost town. So what should I expect? BA and Steward seem to be giving slightly optimistic answers, but still the first time dealing with something remotely like this. I have has some days where I finished early but only had 20ish minutes of downtime after lunch and break. Any advice or similar experiences?

Simple context is we had a very VERY light day. Even with cut routes it was extraordinarily light. Once I finished my deliveries, lunch, and break I still had a good amount of time til pick ups. So I ended up waiting almost 2 hours just to start pick ups. Eventually did the pick ups, finished the day, and went home.

Fast forward a few days later and I get pulled into the office and questioned about the day. Was honest in my answers and kept them short and concise. Was told I'm being removed from service pending an investigation since I didn't check in when I finished deliveries.

I've never had a day like that where I was so light and had finished so early. The entire building was essentially a ghost town. So what should I expect? BA and Steward seem to be giving slightly optimistic answers, but still the first time dealing with something remotely like this. I have has some days where I finished early but only had 20ish minutes of downtime after lunch and break. Any advice or similar experiences?
If you have that much free time send a message and notify them

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

So in those two hours, you didn't even think of checking in?
20210110_142638.jpg
tenor-10.gif

Last edited:
So in those two hours, you didn't even think of checking in?
Never have before and didn't even cross my mind. I've always just waited for my pick ups. In retrospect it seems very dumb to not have, but before this I have always waited for pick ups. Even when I was training.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We’ve had drivers fired for this. Essentially it’s viewed as theft also known as stealing time. With volume dropping and a lot of drivers finding themselves in a similar situation, we’ve told everyone to notify the center. If they don’t get back to you that’s on them. At this point with the company looking to trim the fat where ever they can, I’d say your situation is 50/50.

PoirotAtUPS

Definitely get with your steward beforehand. Gotta think they knew beforehand how light your route was so talk it through before sitting down with management.

Problem is that is a ton of time to explain and the company is looking for ways to make cuts.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Nobody directed him to sit there for 2 hours

It's like blaming the cheese company for not pulling a wrapper off the piece of cheese and eating it and somehow it's their fault...
Nope. Can't have it both ways. They can back off and let people make executive decisions or they can micromanage methods and push ORION compliance and all that. They need to pick one. If they want mindless cradle gps followers, they need to make sure they don't miss any lines of programming.

textat3

I see both sides….cya and message in…… it it’s not like sup had no idea what he was doing or where he was though….I would say I was waiting for instruction.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Definitely get with your steward beforehand. Gotta think they knew beforehand how light your route was so talk it through before sitting down with management.

Problem is that is a ton of time to explain and the company is looking for ways to make cuts.
The problem is that he popped up on a report and the center manager had to answer.

Runner.