Affordable Health Care Act

Ms.PacMan

It is my opinion that UPS will drop health coverage for new PT hires as of the ratification date of the new contract. Current PTers will be grandfathered in.

Unlikely, as they sought and were given approval, to have the insurance plan grandfathered essentially exempt from the Affordable Health Care Act. I believe they would have to chose to relinquish their grandfathered status if they did this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unlikely, as they sought and were given approval, to have the insurance plan grandfathered essentially exempt from the Affordable Health Care Act. I believe they would have to chose to relinquish their grandfathered status if they did this.

What if it were a business decision independent of Obamacare to discontinue benefits for new PT hires in lieu of a higher starting wage?

Ms.PacMan

What if it were a business decision independent of Obamacare to discontinue benefits for new PT hires in lieu of a higher starting wage?

I believe a plan with grandfathered status can increase employee contributions by 5% - so that might be an option. But shoving the burden of healthcare onto the employee - forcing them to take advantage of the Affordable Health Care Act would be counterintuitive to why the gov't allows grandfathered status and why a company would seek it (to get out from under gov't regulation). So no, my opinion is they would lose their status.