Air Handler/Ramp Work...what's the real story???

cphrwk

I had my tour of the Philadelphia Airport facility last night for the 11-3am shift and during the pre-tour talk, the HR rep indicated that if you had a valid drivers license he would push you towards the Air Ramp work versus inside the HUB as a package handler. Today I went back for my interview and met with another HR rep who said the same thing and made the ramp work sound a little more exciting than being inside the HUB sorting and loading. With the exception of dealing with inclement weather (and in Philly, snow/rain is very common). I had to make a choice so I opted for the ramp work and my application now shows Air Hub-Air Handler versus package handler. I was fingerprinted and told I should hear back next week (around Wednesday). Not too worried about the TSA background check...never been arrested.

My question is this: "Did I make a good choice going for the ramp work versus staying inside the HUB which felt a little claustrophobic at times?"

We toured the facility and could get a decent idea of what was going to happen on the inside as a package handler/sorter/loader but we did not get any insight into the ramp work and the HR rep was a little vague on the details just said it was more interesting work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

over9five

Staff member
The air ramp always looked like good work to me. You're always with other people. Man, you gotta watch out for moving equipment tho!

cphrwk

Thanks for the laugh and the general feedback. I imagined the ramp to be a very hectic with lots of moving equipment which is OK...even at 2am. Earplugs not a problem. I'm also hearing lots of flying debris from departing and landing planes so I'm guessing protective eyewear as well. I think i will be much happier outside as well...ask me that again in a December snow storm

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Thanks for the laugh and the general feedback. I imagined the ramp to be a very hectic with lots of moving equipment which is OK...even at 2am. Earplugs not a problem. I'm also hearing lots of flying debris from departing and landing planes so I'm guessing protective eyewear as well. I think i will be much happier outside as well...ask me that again in a December snow storm

If you like adventure and the great outdoors, volunteer to do the deicing job. You get to ride in a swaying bucket 40 feet off the ground in the freezing cold and spray warm chemicals into the wind. When you're done the plane will be ice free and you we be soaking wet, chemical covered and half frozen. It's way more fun than working indoors!

p228

Working the Ramp has to be the easiest job at UPS. Most of their time is spent standing around waiting for the air cans to get pulled. They drive the cans to the plane and drive back again. Earlier in the year when people were getting laid off some ramp people came in the hub. Nearly all of them complained they now had to actually work for their money.

Though the ramp does have its downsides. In winter, when it is twenty degrees out, the Tug drivers go in the bathrooms and huddle around the hand dryers for warmth.

cphrwk

Working the Ramp has to be the easiest job at UPS. Most of their time is spent standing around waiting for the air cans to get pulled. They drive the cans to the plane and drive back again. Earlier in the year when people were getting laid off some ramp people came in the hub. Nearly all of them complained they now had to actually work for their money.

Though the ramp does have its downsides. In winter, when it is twenty degrees out, the Tug drivers go in the bathrooms and huddle around the hand dryers for warmth.

Thanks p228. I appreciate the feedback and am prepared for Philly winter hell (hopefully not as hellish as last wnter)! Sounds like you are in the Philly HUB as well

Turbo-J

Impossible. Ramp is dependent on Hub for ULD's and Pilots to leave on time. Ramp has 5x more procedures then hub.

x100....air department is a totally different company

Working the Ramp has to be the easiest job at UPS. Most of their time is spent standing around waiting for the air cans to get pulled. They drive the cans to the plane and drive back again.

Easier...yeah, maybe....but I think working on the ramp is more dangerous....

heres my opinion as I have worked both

HUB...

CONS
you can get hurt not using the proper methods
a "number" game...its all about productivity

PROS
the "most" you will ever lift is 150lbs
indoors
noise-not as loud as a plane taxing

AIR DEPARTMENT

CONS
weather conditions
slips trips and falls rules go right out the window, when you're loading/pushing ULD'S in the plane
pushing/pulling 2000+ lb dollies & ULD's...an invitation to all sorts of injuries
improper bending of the back when hooking up dollies, good chance of missing locks and the dolley you're hooking up begins to pinch you between the 2 dollies
strict rules from FAA & UPS on plane procedures and policies
noise-hearing damage

PROS
idle time, standing by waiting for ULDS, plane arrivals
not as physically demanding as the hub

cphrwk

Thanks Turbo-J. You gave me exactly what I was looking for although now I'm curious how easy a 2000+ lb dollie and ULD actually move. Gues I'll see soon enough

PrimoKS1

I just went through the tour last night and have my interview tonight. Same story with me, also in Philly airport. I know this is an old thread but how did you like the job on the ramp? if you even still work there that is i guess...

OntCombo63

I would recommend ramp over hub any day, yes you're exposed to the elements but I can say at least in my experience and observations it's a much more relaxed environment. Management is different more laid back on your actual work stricter on safety and job methods. The downtime you have will save your body from wear and tear. I did my part time on preload-hub before I went combo (fulltime) I wish I could of done those 6 years on the ramp. But yes I would go ramp given the choice to choose if I was you.

PrimoKS1

Thanks for the advice. I will be starting on the ramp on Monday. They offered me in my interview, after training anyway, a PT sup position to work 2 shifts (6-10pm, then the 11-230am). I don't really know what to say given I haven't even started yet. They said I can let them know after I train. Any advice on that matter? I need the money but more than anything I need job security. I am pretty sure I would make a good supervisor in general, but not knowing any procedures or environments etc.., I really don't know what to do. I am glad that this site exists btw. It's really reducing my anxiety over a new job by reading so many opinions on various aspects of working at UPS.

PrimoKS1

Thanks for the advice. I will be starting on the ramp on Monday. They offered me in my interview, after training anyway, a PT sup position to work 2 shifts (6-10pm, then the 11-230am). I don't really know what to say given I haven't even started yet. They said I can let them know after I train. Any advice on that matter? I need the money but more than anything I need job security. I am pretty sure I would make a good supervisor in general, but not knowing any procedures or environments etc.., I really don't know what to do. I am glad that this site exists btw. It's really reducing my anxiety over a new job by reading so many opinions on various aspects of working at UPS.