Air runs..guaranteed "x" hours or hrs worked paid

fres431

I was called for a air run today, my question is there a guarantee x hours or is it hours worked hours paid? I don't see anything in the contract that gives you x guarantee hours.

PT Car Washer

If you are a PT package handler who is also air exception/Saturday Air driver qualified you do not have any guarantee hours when called in to do air exception work. I have been called in to deliver a NDA Saver across the street. Worked 20 minutes and went home. You still have your 3 1/2 hour guarantee on your normal PT sort.

fres431

I passed on it I didn't want to drive 20mins for 20mins of work it's not deliveries it's PU from ups stores and meet points

PT Car Washer

Don't blame you. Sometimes 20 minutes of work can lead to a couple hours of work. The contract says "by seniority to who is present and qualified."

fres431

Okay let me out this out there ..I run to ups store do pick ups and pick up ground from ups store and or pick up a ground from a "off the street customer" then all work is to be paid at ground rate correct?

PT Car Washer

Okay let me out this out there ..I run to ups store do pick ups and pick up ground from ups store and or pick up a ground from a "off the street customer" then all work is to be paid at ground rate correct?
By the contract, yes. You have to be careful about how hard you push that issue. How long have you been employed, where are you in seniority, how valuable are you to the center and hub? If you are a super stud who does it all then yeah. If you are in your first year and still learning, may want to let it go until you can be that super stud.

PT Car Washer

You shouldn't take ground from a customer if you're an air driver. Personally I would call a sup and see what they wanted me to do.
Contractually I would agree. But how do you explain to a customer who walks up to a brown truck driven by a guy in a brown uniform "that's not my job". Easier to take the package and say thank you. If it is a business I always tell the customer the regular driver will be by later for pick ups.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Contractually I would agree. But how do you explain to a customer who walks up to a brown truck driven by a guy in a brown uniform "that's not my job". Easier to take the package and say thank you. If it is a business I always tell the customer the regular driver will be by later for pick ups.
FedEx seems to have no problem doing it. Lol

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You can shuttle ground and not receive ground pay, however if you deliver a ground you receive ground pay. At least that is the deal the union/UPS hands drivers around here.

Air exception drivers are hours worked, unless you are FT.

PT Car Washer

You can shuttle ground and not receive ground pay, however if you deliver a ground you receive ground pay. At least that is the deal the union/UPS hands drivers around here.

Air exception drivers are hours worked, unless you are FT.
By definition Air Exception Drivers are PT. Sometimes the boss will have us deliver a few ground packages so we will receive top pay. Especially for the Air Drivers who are not at top rate yet.