Almost There, Some Questions

YouPeeEss

Hello,

I'm near the end of the package handler interview process and I've been lurking here for about a week to get the scoop on what I'm getting in to. There are some invaluable posts here, mostly stuff I wouldn't have thought of to begin with. I've got some more questions that I couldn't find answers to; I hope you can help out.

Anyone have insight on before/during/after routines that make the shift go more smoothly?

What are the most comfortable clothes to wear for the job?

What are the rules about bringing water/food and how do breaks work?

What are the positives/negatives of becoming a p/t super?

Thanks for your help

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Hello,

I'm near the end of the package handler interview process and I've been lurking here for about a week to get the scoop on what I'm getting in to. There are some invaluable posts here, mostly stuff I wouldn't have thought of to begin with. I've got some more questions that I couldn't find answers to; I hope you can help out.

Anyone have insight on before/during/after routines that make the shift go more smoothly?
STAY RELAXED

What are the most comfortable clothes to wear for the job?

GOOD WORK SHOES ALREADY BROKEN IN, LOOSE FITTING COTTON SHIRTS, you will be sweating alot, USE A HAND LOTION -cardboard sucks your hands dry quickly, more so during the winter months ( at first you'll probably use gloves, but it gets costly to constantly replace them )

What are the rules about bringing water/food and how do breaks work?
Always have a cool drink handy ( try freezing some liquid, it will melt as you work )
Most breaks are by laws required ...10 minutes between your second & third hours worked. If possible find a spot way from where you are assigned, sit down & elevate your feet.

What are the positives/negatives of becoming a p/t super?
Wait six months or longer before thinking about this.
Get to know your job & meet other sups. Talk to them casually, most times they will be your best source of knowledge.
Otherwise this is what its about; you will see that most p/t sups on the surface have easier jobs but they put in more hours on avg for less money.
If you are told that its a career booster (p/t sup to friend/t sup ) DO NOT believe it most friend/T sups are former drivers.

Thanks for your help

YouPeeEss

Just what I was looking for, thanks! About the p/t super thing: do they make more per hour but get less hours? If so, around what wage and what hours? Also, what title is the tour-giving/interviewing person and how did they get there?

Last edited:

Mike Hawk

Carhartt shorts too, I work off a belt so constantly leaning over it has worn holes in my normal pants where they contact the belt. If you don't have work pants then use some old crappy ones.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Just what I was looking for, thanks! About the p/t super thing: do they make more per hour but get less hours? If so, around what wage and what hours? Also, what title is the tour-giving/interviewing person and how did they get there?

p/t sups make a bit more than a new union hire, and it depends on your area what the # is. It's salary and based upon 27.5 hours work. Up here it works out to around 13-14/hr.

LKLND3380

Carhartt shorts too, I work off a belt so constantly leaning over it has worn holes in my normal pants where they contact the belt. If you don't have work pants then use some old crappy ones.

:smart:One secret that will make your pants last (maybe a week longer:happy-very:) is make sure you have nothing in your pockets... No keys or change for the vending machine...

drewed

Shankman
Dont worry about becoming a sup for a bit, youll be a better sup if youve done/understand the job your asking other people to do.

On a sort or ramp, no open containers. water bottles are a must. and with food its a no no but most sups wont complain if you have simple things (granola bar type things) as long as you clean up after yourself

YouPeeEss

Great responses! I came up with some more questions:

What is the title of the interviewer/tour person?

The interviewer requested a year commitment if I'm hired; is this for 365 calendar days or working days?

If I resign, will I get "no rehire" status unless I've done the year commit?

Why are location transfers such a problem if they are within the company?

Does management get incentives if their particular new hires stay at UPS and grow vertically?

Thanks a lot,

Last edited:

drewed

Shankman
What is the title of the interviewer/tour person?
it could have been an hr generalist (ft sup) or an interviewer (pt sup)
The interviewer requested a year commitment if I'm hired; is this for 365 calendar days or working days?
its a calendar year
Generally, its always a no rehire policy, but itd be up to the individual sup to make that call
The company doesnt want to make a headache for itself with the union over it, it causes too many problems with wages, pensions, seniority its easier to not deal with it
Does management get incentives if their particular new hires stay at UPS and grow vertically?
Not nessarilly but the unwritten rule is your sup trains you to be their replacement and they get trained to take their sups job and so forth up the ladder

YouPeeEss

Generally, its always a no rehire policy, but itd be up to the individual sup to make that call
The company doesnt want to make a headache for itself with the union over it, it causes too many problems with wages, pensions, seniority its easier to not deal with it

I just don't understand why someone would ask you to fulfill a specific commitment and then punish you after fulfilling it; what then is the point of asking for a commitment in the first place? Regardless, have you heard any success stories of p/ts resigning after a year and getting re-hired at a different warehouse? (I understand losing seniority, but besides that)

Thanks

SoyFish

Seems like he wants to work for UPS, but then move sometime in the future and still work at UPS. Also that year commitment is because they don't want people to work for like 3 months then quits. Just tell them what they wanna hear lol

Also welcome to the forum.

deathracer

are they training you? i remember i got trained, 2 days of watching videos and the last 2 days of loud machines and boxes the just kept coming at me from a belt lol, seriously take a lot of water i normally didnt drink water so i though one bottle of water would be enough sure as hell wasnt dropped my bottle from the sort latter and was dying of thirst for an hour. everyone that was trained during break was buying soda bottles and getting water. dont forget ur back brace cause its important and boots dont have to be steel toe but make sure they have a hard toe part cause you dont want to have a 70lbs box full of plumbing pipes fall on ur foot and be out of work and not have benefits to fix it yet.