Amazon and Same Day Delivery

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Sep 5, 2012.

1. 104Feeder

104Feeder Phoenix Feeder

Amazon believes the Next Big Thing is "Same Day Delivery". To do this they will be staging items in each State in order to shorten the time-in-transit.

Amazon's Prime service already offers Next Day delivery for $3.99, and free 2 Day Delivery.

Opportunity for UPS?
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Unfortunately no---they plan on using regional carriers, such as OnTrac.
  3. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I think their idea will be a big let down in the long run. We will have to wait and see.
  4. BlackCat

BlackCat Member

I loved it.. Ordered a gift at like 10pm and for 6.00 got it the next day.

It was cheaper (no sales tax)
    It would have cost me more then the 6.00 to drive to the store and get.

Whats not to love?
  5. TechGrrl

TechGrrl Space Cadet

This is one area where I think the Teamsters and UPS need to come up with a creative way to compete. Amazon is building another huge distribution center across the river in Indiana from Louisville, partly for this reason, partly to be even closer to the Air Hub.

Our full time UPS drivers would not be competitive in this market. So, what would the Teamsters suggest as a way to take this volume that is price-competitive with non-union carriers?
  6. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Whatever happened to "Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery"?
  7. BlackCat

BlackCat Member

Its under the name usps
  8. rod

rod retired and happy

Actually I've had great service with stuff that has been sent through the USPS. For the most part all the shipping companies do a great job but I will say UPS seems to be fading in my area. Hardly anything I order comes UPS anymore. The majority of it comes Fedex Ground and yes they do a great job also.
  9. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

I use Amazon Prime, the 2 day that's "free", (well a once a year charge). Some stuff comes UPS, some stuff come from LazerShip, which is probably similar to the OnTrac Upstate mentioned. I guess it depends on which Amazon wearhouse or shipper that does Amazon fufillment it is shipped from.

I got something today that came from an "Amazon Fufillment Services" in Lexington, KY. Checking the tracking # the first scan was when it hit the hub in north jersey.
  10. rod

rod retired and happy

I always have to look what I posted when I see someting from you.
  11. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

Had a conversation with one of these Amazon drivers.

He was working under 'Lasership'.

Paid for his own gas, got paid a little over a dollar for each package he delivered, it all sounded quite hit-and-miss.

He seemed happy to have the work (such as it was), but I can't see how you turn that into a living wage.

Economies of scale, I suppose.

This guy had no benefits to speak of, and intimated that he was having a difficult time affording gas.

Even Mickey-D's has benefits...
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

Watch for the "no sales tax" to go away.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

It went the same route as filing your income taxes on paper and interacting with a live person at the bank.
  14. p228

p228 Member

I actually just noticed that. I preordered No Easy Day last week and I went on their site to check why it still has not shipped. Its backordered, oops.

In doing so I noticed that the grand total it showed me last week at the order checkout and in the confirmation email was different from the total it showed me today. They tacked on the sales tax after the fact.

So, not only do they suck at taking preorders but they don't even charge you what they say they are going to.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

With states trying to find any and all new sources of revenue look for sales tax to be collected on all online transactions in the near future.
  16. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I love not paying a sales tax on online purchases but in all reality we should pay a tax on those.
  17. cachsux

cachsux Wah

If local businesses had the same prices I'd be happy to pay state tax on purchases.