Amazon is the future?

anonymous23456

I worked at Sears in the late 90's (my job right before UPS) and even then we could see the future. The company wasn't changing for the future, very little online presence, Craftsman tools were becoming more gimmicky and less tough, Craftsman lawn equipment was becoming more unreliable by the year, their clothing was terrible (not in terms of quality, but in style), stores weren't being updated. I remember a few of us huddled around one slow day talking about how if the company doesn't change they're not going to make it. This was one of the companies who had "the catalog", who could have become what is now Amazon. They just never changed to the times.

/rant over
You know what you are talking about 1000%. You have to understand that there are some people who work for many companies in their career and been through layoff numerous times. There are some people who work for a single company their whole time and retire. It is hard for them to understand why companies can go away.

It is just like most GenX people don't know what pension is because it has been gone and replaced with 401K before GenX people started working. Only very few companies have pension now. I don't even know which one.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
This is from the Internet:

"I worked at UPS for 14 years. Worked in Portland Oregon as a feeder supervisor, and got a job as an industrial engineer to help launch there regional facility in Goodyear Arizona. Just before the project went live, HR said a team member accused my entire IE team of Harassment. They fired the whole team (this was in 2019, this was UPS CEO first round of silent layoffs) I went to the EEOC, and complained of misconduct, UPS HR DIRECTOR HARVEY HILL, with help from my previous IE division manager Smith, falsified an investigation. After the EEOC contacted UPS, the manager that made the mysterious complaint resigned 7 days later. UPS used a manager to conduct firings, this happened in the Phoenix node, 6 months after IE, OE, HR, all started getting layed off with severance, then it paused a bit due to Covid, now Covid has alleviated UPS isn’t riding the high. I now work for Amazon, and make more, and have a much better work life balance, and due to my UPS knowledge run circles around everyone here. To my fellow UPSers, come to Amazon, we will take care of you."

We all seen it, same story different faces. Probably happening to every Corporation in America now, somebody screams “discrimination” or “hostile work environment and some individual or work group gets thrown under the bus. Way too many high level partners with an entitlement lollipop in their mouths. These are the same people that kissed ass and were servanthood to their Master till they get demoted or let go, then it is time to get an attorney and sue. Can you imagine the documentation going on behind the scenes in Atlanta right now, secretly recording phone calls and making a case for a fat severance settlement.

Cheesypurpletees

We are done as we know it. Probably 7-15 years before UPS and FedEx morph into 1 company. Probably will take over for USPS as well. Right now we are basically what Sears/Kmart was in 2010. Save your money, invest heavily in the mag 7 stocks, and Cava and hope for the best. Carol Tome will go down in history…maybe not the way she planned on it.
Those have been my thoughts playing the what if hypothetical future scenarios. Regional carriers would likely absolve first, followed by slightly larger carriers.

Worst case scenario is an ups merger pending government approval, but e-commerce growth will continue its compounding growth for many years. That said ups isn’t going anywhere, the smaller guys yes. There’s room for a few big players

anonymous23456

We are not at the point where people robbing stores for food. It is more about iPad, iPhone, flat screen TV, and cars.

CVS and Walgreen are the low hanging fruit because liberal judges won't prosecute anything less than 1K in theft.

dudebro

You know what you are talking about 1000%. You have to understand that there are some people who work for many companies in their career and been through layoff numerous times. There are some people who work for a single company their whole time and retire. It is hard for them to understand why companies can go away.

It is just like most GenX people don't know what pension is because it has been gone and replaced with 401K before GenX people started working. Only very few companies have pension now. I don't even know which one.
True for corporations. Every government job seems to have fantastic pensions though.

pkgdriver

Staten Island is. A judge has also ruled that Amazon has broke labor laws in their anti union tactics.
Its a start but there is still a long road ahead and Amazon will delay and appeal. Labor law is tilted towards the company.
Slow it down and people are more likely to give up. Bessemer Al has had two votes and possibly a third coming up.
Starbucks has voted in a few hundred I believe. Still no collective bargaining agreement.
Hopefully they will be successful. The warehouses are the starting point. DSPs contracts can be terminated as one I believe happened in California after they voted to unionize.

Documentary done at Staten Island.