Animal Accidents

over9five

Staff member
I was having lunch one very hot day, sitting in the drivers seat, side doors and overhead wide open. Suddenly, I hear "THWACK!!!". A bird had flown thru my open overhead and hit the inside of my windshield. DOA.

reydluap

I was driving down a country road and had a wild turkey (about a 14 pounder) fly up out of the ditch and shatter the right side windshield and fall in the cab of the truck. I locked up the duals and bailed out after the truck go stopped. That was ONE MAD TURKEY!! He flopped around a bit, SH** up a storm on EVERYTHING and then died. I ran around the front of the truck and opened the passenger door to let the bird out and it was laying on the step. Knowing that no one would believe this story, I got a "rain bag" out of the back of the package car and bagged my catch to show the sup and the mechanic. Car wash had never seen (smelled) anything like that before.

xracer

As far as smell goes try following a farmer driving a manure speader down the road who has forgot to turn off the PTO, that stuff is worse than black ice. I thought that the entire car wash crew was going to quit after that and all blame me. I suppose that this does not exactly constitute an animal accident but I narrowly avoided an accident as a direct result of the daily function of an animal.

DS

Fenderbender
I ran over a beagle once,felt terrible about it.It was in my 1976 pontiac grand prix.Other than a few bugs,I dont think I ever killed anything in my p800.

wornoutupser

This reminds me of a story from a long time back.
Our center is on a major highway. Every day, we had a German Shepard that would run out onto the road and chase us.
One day two P 8's were side by side and the dog was hit and spun around at full speed.
The owner called in that night and demanded that UPS pay the vet bill and the center manager began to give in.
I jumped into the conversation, reminding the boss of the leash law that is in effect and that a driver could sue the owner for the dog chasing us every day. I was sick of that mutt being out in the road!
UPS did not pay the bill.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
hey, I just noticed something, totally unrelated to this thread. How come I am the only one with out an icon to report bad posts???? Never had/or would use it, but why is it gone> Must be coz Iam so sweet they know I would never use it!

trickpony1

It doesn't appear when you read your own posts......only when others read your posts.
Mine is the same way.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Thank God! Cuz if it did, I would complain about ALL my posts! I am really a sick individual, and REEEALY shouldn't even be allowed to post....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I ran over my first dog last night. I was just sick over it, and still am. The dog must have been after my truck as I met up with him, or one that looked like him, or as I found out after, I hit.... HER. On the next road over, when I was trying to make a delivery, but stopped once I shut off the truck.
She came out from beside a car that was parked out to the road, I barely had time to hit the brake and it was all ice. She was a big girl, a rotweiller, about 170 pds. And she didnt make it. She laid there crying, and no one would come out of their houses. I finally got a neighbor to come out and put his van behind her so no one else could hit her, while I tried to locate the owner. When I found him, he came out and was afraid to move her, as he was afraid she would bite him. She was "tied" with a nylon rope about the thickness of a phone line. I told him to do something not leave her here in the street, covered by my coat and vest. I had to get my air in, and had to leave, left my name and he called this morning to my boss and said she died. No sh** she got ran over by a 3 ton truck. Now if it had been a child I think what I could have done, and I could have veered off the road and hit the parked car, but in a split second I didnt think I should do that for a dog. But because of his negligence, I have to live with killing that big beautiful animal. He told my boss I was gracious, professional, blah, blah, blah, and it was totally his fault. I knew that, and I guess I appreciate that. But it just kills me that I killed her. Just thought I would share my story about people who want big bad dogs for protection of themselves, but dont do their part to protect their animal.

Griff

A few stupid people on this route I'm running now answer their door every single damn time with their huge dog of choice (usually pitbull) ready to attack me. They open the door and then hold onto the collar with both hands...really brilliant when you have to sign for a package.

Needless to say these people will be having an animal accident one of these days when the thing attacks me and it won't involve my P800.

I always wondered how management handles deer jumping out infront of trucks, I see 8-10 dead deer every day and I guess it's only a matter of simple math before it's my turn. Sometimes you just don't have any time to react when it comes to deer, especially in an 800 that has 400K miles and no high beams. AVOIDABLE!

Griff

"....and no high beams.".

You need to red tag the vehicle and not drive it until the high beams are fixed.

Does an 800 have high beams?

I've only had this thing since the volume went up, I'm usually in a 600.

All I see on the control panel is a pullout knob for the lights and thats it. The turn signal lever doesn't act as high beams like the 600 does.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Does an 800 have high beams?

I've only had this thing since the volume went up, I'm usually in a 600.

All I see on the control panel is a pullout knob for the lights and thats it. The turn signal lever doesn't act as high beams like the 600 does.

There is probably a floor switch on the left side for your high beams like a P500?

Griff

There is probably a floor switch on the left side for your high beams like a P500?

Haha, I'll have to check that out on Monday. I remember the first day I got the thing I saw this little metal button thing on the floor near my left foot, I kept pressing it over and over and nothing would happen (DAYTIME!).

Thanks.

satellitedriver

Does anyone remember the late 1970's when our government announced the dreaded "swine flu" epidemic?
People went out and stood in line like mindless sheep to get some chemical pumped into them and, by the way, it's real hard to get it out once it's injected in you.
After a significant number of people became ill and/or died from the "swine flu" shot, our government said, to the effect, that there was no such thing as "swine flu". I recall this vividly.
Here we are, many years later and the "bird flu" scare. If you are worried about catching it: 1) don't eat any fowl 2) stay away from where birds congregate.
I don't get any vaccinations simply because they don't have a clue what they are pumping in you and they really don't care once you are out the door. Additionally, I believe the respective organism/microbe can mutate faster than vaccines can be developed.

Suggestion: Before you get your next flu shot PLEASE read the paper they have you sign first REALLY close and then ask yourself why are they having you sign a waiver when, for years, they didn't. It lists all the possible effects of the shot, one of which is Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Go to your favorite search engine and type that in. It's my understanding that GBS is NOT a pleasant experience.

1Trickpony,
You of all people should be afraid of "bird flu". That little bird that pops out of you forehead every hour on the hour saying COOKOO! COOKOO! might be infected.
You don't get any vacination shots?
If you are as old as I assume you are, you were vacinated for polio,small pox and measles before you could enter 1st grade. Do you have lingering side effects from that experience?
You believe alot more than you know.