Out of Service for Accident

Rented Ammo

I'm in Feeders and I was traveling on an exit ramp about 20mph when I suddenly fell asleep and the truck rolled into a ditch and collided with some trees and bushes. The truck isn't totaled just a few dents. The cop on scene gave me a Careless Driving Tickets (2 Points) and I was taken to get a drug test by management right away. Upon getting the drug test taken we get back to the building and management (with a shop steward present) notifies me that I will be Out of Service upon the drug test results and accident investigation. I've been in Feeders for about 4 years and have never had a problem like this before with falling asleep at the wheel. I've recently been woken up by the family dog on numerous occasions and a screaming baby both of which I mentioned to management. I also share a tractor with another driver who smoke cigars constantly and the truck just smells terrible and is hard to see and breathe sometimes but management doesn't seem to care about that. However, when I've refused to use that tractor my job gets threatened but when other drivers refuse it they get to use another tractor. I should've got a doctors note I guess. My question is how long do you think ill be out of service? Has anyone here been in this situation before or know another driver who has? Can I file for unemployment? I'm not technically fired so idk if I can or not. A couple drivers told me to tell them I turned the wheel to not hit a deer but at that speed I have a hard time believing that they would've believed that. So, I told them the truth. It just sucks. Any help would be apricated.

Indecisi0n

lol its all true. I shouldve turned up the Metallica song I was listening to
First off, stop with the excuses. You fell asleep and :censored2:ed up. Now man up, be honest and accept the consequences. It can happen to anyone of us. Luckily you didn't fall asleep, hit a family and kill everyone.

You'll be out of work for a couple days. When you go back you will either do some computer assignments and or go out with a sup for the day. Thats all.

Next time if the tractor is nasty then take your time cleaning it before leaving hub. I never understood how these dirtballs drive with dirty windows.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Get rid of the freckin' dog and wear ear plugs. Tell baby mama to whip it out and shut the kid up.

Rented Ammo

You told them you fell asleep and now days later you wanna change your story to you tried to avoid a deer? I don’t think it works like that man.
No I never said I was going to change the story. I said I was told by other drivers to lie but I didn't want to do that at all

Rented Ammo

You told them you fell asleep and now days later you wanna change your story to you tried to avoid a deer? I don’t think it works like that man.
No, I never said I wanted to change the story. I said that other drivers suggested I tell them that I tried to avoid a deer. I didnt want to lie tho

quad decade guy

First off, stop with the excuses. You fell asleep and *ed up. Now man up, be honest and accept the consequences. It can happen to anyone of us. Luckily you didn't fall asleep, hit a family and kill everyone.

You'll be out of work for a couple days. When you go back you will either do some computer assignments and or go out with a sup for the day. Thats all.

Next time if the tractor is nasty then take your time cleaning it before leaving hub. I never understood how these dirtballs drive with dirty windows.
Maybe. It's not certain. He did get a reckless driving ticket. Cardinal sin here. I've known drivers never come back after that. No matter whatever the story. In my experience there are no reasons or excuses. It just depends.

GenericUsername

I get a sneaking suspicion that this is only the beginning of a bunch of people falling asleep at the wheel in feeders/package. Everyone is already overworked (well, the majority) and with peak ramping up, things are just going to get worse. At what point is it enough for us to work 55+ hours a week? How many injuries? Something has got to give at some point.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I get a sneaking suspicion that this is only the beginning of a bunch of people falling asleep at the wheel in feeders/package. Everyone is already overworked (well, the majority) and with peak ramping up, things are just going to get worse. At what point is it enough for us to work 55+ hours a week? How many injuries? Something has got to give at some point.
It’s all coming to a head as we speak.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That's not it. Baby mama was letting the brat wail and the mutt yap.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
My dogs are hooligans and I have a godson over my house more than his own.

Is dog and baby really an excuse you told?

trickpony1

when I suddenly fell asleep

This gives the company free rein to trump up a diagnosis of narcolepsy.
You will have to prove you don't have it which is a very long/expensive process.

I know someone who had to prove she didn't have syncope which, again, was long and expensive.

The company nurse can easily fabricate any diagnosis and the company doctor will go along with it.
Good luck.

Hope this helps.

quad decade guy

This gives the company free rein to trump up a diagnosis of narcolepsy.
You will have to prove you don't have it which is a very long/expensive process.

I know someone who had to prove she didn't have syncope which, again, was long and expensive.

The company nurse can easily fabricate any diagnosis and the company doctor will go along with it.
Good luck.

Hope this helps.
Really? Easily?

quad decade guy

Hey Bro, been doing those hours for 40 years. Plus nights school, plus a family, plus life.