Another View of Cronkite and Therefore American Media As Well

wkmac

Glenn Greenwald at Salon wrote this piece about Cronkite but really it was more about the larger media itself in our day and age.

IMO there is a huge myth to some degree that in what we call the Mainstream Media (MSM for short) was always in our history as a nation, this bulwark or gatekeeper of truth and transparent view of all things gov't. This was really never true and it was also equally true IMO that media is not bipartisan. Sure, you'll have the individual celebrities like the FoxNews, CNN, or MSNBC talking heads (Hannity, O'Reily, Matthews, Olbermann, etc.) of varying stripes opining on the news events of the day but in the really hard reporting of actual news, there is very little difference from the gov't construct amongst all the MSM networks.

As I read Greenwald's comments I couldn't help but remember about the CIA's own construct in the 1950's known as Operation Mockingbird and once people read about our govt's covert actions starting in the 1950's and continue into our present day, the childlike belief of the gleam and purity of our societal voice icons starts to wear away rapidly IMO.

The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little.
-Ray Bradbury, (1920- )

There can be no liberty for a community which lacks the means by which to detect lies.
--Walter Lippman, (1889-1974)

As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests.
--Gore Vidal, (1925- )

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
--George Orwell, (1903-1950)

P

pickup

Glenn Greenwald at Salon wrote this piece about Cronkite but really it was more about the larger media itself in our day and age.

IMO there is a huge myth to some degree that in what we call the Mainstream Media (MSM for short) was always in our history as a nation, this bulwark or gatekeeper of truth and transparent view of all things gov't. This was really never true and it was also equally true IMO that media is not bipartisan. Sure, you'll have the individual celebrities like the FoxNews, CNN, or MSNBC talking heads (Hannity, O'Reily, Matthews, Olbermann, etc.) of varying stripes opining on the news events of the day but in the really hard reporting of actual news, there is very little difference from the gov't construct amongst all the MSM networks.

As I read Greenwald's comments I couldn't help but remember about the CIA's own construct in the 1950's known as Operation Mockingbird and once people read about our govt's covert actions starting in the 1950's and continue into our present day, the childlike belief of the gleam and purity of our societal voice icons starts to wear away rapidly IMO.

I like that quote by bradbury. When I think about television, I think about the Tavistock group. http://educate-yourself.org/nwo/nwotavistockbestkeptsecret.shtml

You're not sucking me in, wkmac