Applying to FedEx, which position is better?

Ricochet1a

I have a question can you work as a fedex part time dockworker and a ups delivery helper?

I have an interview and orientation for a ups delivery helper position today and its only a seasonal position until December 31st. I had an interview for a fedex part time dockworker position late last week and I called the person who interviewed me yesterday to check the status of the hiring process and he told me hes still waiting for the background check and if that clears(which it should) I have to take a drug test.(which I should pass) I was just wondering if I could work both positions even though they are both shipping companies, the ups driver helper position is only a seasonal position until the end of December. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal seeing that that the ups position isn't permanent.

Nope. It would be considered to be a conflict of interest from FedEx's point of view - probably from UPS's too. No employee of a FedEx company may work for a company that FedEx competes with. UPS and the USPS are specifically included in this definition of conflict of interest.

The fact that the UPS position isn't permanent isn't relevant to FedEx. One cannot have employment with an competitor of FedEx's, be it full-time, part-time seasonal or temporary.

Continue to pursue both. Take any job that is offered to you. If FedEx offers you a position first, let UPS know that you cannot work for them (assuming that you want to keep "permanent" employment with FedEx). If UPS offers a position first, then FedEx offers a position, you can evaluate what you want. You will have to inform FedEx that you have a temp postition with UPS and will be given a specified period of time to produce "proof" that you have terminated employment with UPS if you were to accept FedEx employment. 30 days is the usual time period to provide proof.

If you are looking for a career in this industry, take the UPS position if it is offered and work your tail off. You'll have a decent shot to continue as a handler and be able to progress to a driver positon within a few years. If you are looking for short term employment, then the FedEx positon would be the one to pursue.

If FedEx calls you to take a drug test, you've got the job - pending the result of the test. FedEx doesn't give drug tests to people if they don't intend on hiring them, this is why it is done after the background check. To me it would make sense to give the drug test first, since that would "weed out" any users and save FedEx the cost of the background check. But FedEx does the background check first.

quest01

I had a group interview today for a ups seasonal driver helper position and there was only 4 people there including myself. After the interview he scheduled us for an orientation in around 2 weeks. I was just wondering do you see a lot of driver helpers quit the job? I noticed that two of the people at the group interview were middle aged women probably around upper 40s to lower 50s in age. The only problems I had with the interview was that the seasonal driver helper position only pays $9 an hour and the interview was only 10 minutes long while the drive took 40-45 minutes.

SmithBarney

I have a question can you work as a fedex part time dockworker and a ups delivery helper?

If its income to you. and doesn't affect DOT HOS(hours of service) which it won't since you aren't a driver. Its neither UPS or FedEx's business what you do in your personal time.

As a laborer its not a conflict of interest, at the management level there is potential for
conflict of interest.

In this economy(or any economy) if you need to work at both to support yourself, then
go for it.

This being said the tough part is the application process in which you list your previous employers.

Ricochet1a

If its income to you. and doesn't affect DOT HOS(hours of service) which it won't since you aren't a driver. Its neither UPS or FedEx's business what you do in your personal time.

As a laborer its not a conflict of interest, at the management level there is potential for
conflict of interest.

In this economy(or any economy) if you need to work at both to support yourself, then
go for it.

This being said the tough part is the application process in which you list your previous employers.

This is simply not true. FedEx prohibits it employees from being in the employ of a competing company. Please ask your local management to verify this.

If you are an Express employee, look at your employee handbook, page 34 (depending on year of issue), Moonlighting - PEOPLE 1-60

Quoting:

"Both Full-time and Part-time employees are prohibited from working for our competitors, suppliers, contractors or another FedEx Corporation company. If your employment is a conflict, normally you will be given thirty days to provide written verification of termination. Notify your manager if you suspect your employment is a conflict of interest. A competitor is defined as any person or business entity that competes with any facet of FedEx Express"...

End Quote.

Please get your facts straight before giving potentially misleading information. If in doubt, the best thing to do is to remain silent or state you don't know.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

[I said:
If in doubt, the best thing to do is to remain silent or state you don't know[/I].

I DON'T KNOW...I like that Mr. Spiccolli, do you mind if put that up on my board for all my classes to read, I'll give you full credit of course...

Gee Mr.Hand, will I pass your class? Mr. Spicolli, I DON'T KNOW..

Sorry, I couldn't stop the flashback...lol

quest01

The manager for Fedex National LTL called me today to setup a drug test tomorrow. Does this mean I'll most likely be hired as a dockworker if I pass the drug test?

Thanks

hdtvtechno

The manager for Fedex National LTL called me today to setup a drug test tomorrow. Does this mean I'll most likely be hired as a dockworker if I pass the drug test?

Thanks

If they asking to take the drug test.. and if you pass it.. you're good to go Congrats :)

Ricochet1a

read the first page of the handbook.... ITS NOT A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT

It is not a "Contract" of employment....

All the disclaimer is doing is stating that an "at-will" condition of employment exists and that the handbook doesn't constitute a formal contract of employment.

Going to the next paragraph...

"Official personnel policies, as found in the people manual are referenced throughout the FedEx Express employee handbook...."

The moonlighting policy is an "official personnel policy" of FedEx. (PEOPLE 1-60).

Please, you are clearly misguided here and know not of what you write of. Ask your manager if you are allowed to work for UPS or the USPS. Don't ask your manager and tell them that you are indeed working for the UPS or USPS and see what happens. You will learn real quick the enforceability of "official personnel policies".

quest01

Actually I just started today at FedEx and I asked the manager if I could attend the orientation tomorrow for this seasonal UPS delivery helper position and he said yes because the FedEx position is only part time.

Actually I just started today at FedEx and I asked the manager if I could attend the orientation tomorrow for this seasonal UPS delivery helper position and he said yes because the FedEx position is only part time.
I don't think full time or part time has anything to do with it.From what I understand you are not allowed to work for the competition and if you get caught you have 2 weeks to quit that other job.

quest01

I don't think full time or part time has anything to do with it.From what I understand you are not allowed to work for the competition and if you get caught you have 2 weeks to quit that other job.

I would have nothing to hide because I asked the FedEx manager if I could do that UPS seasonal position and he said yes because the FedEx position I currently work at is only part time. However I may not even go to the orientation.

hdtvtechno

I would have nothing to hide because I asked the FedEx manager if I could do that UPS seasonal position and he said yes because the FedEx position I currently work at is only part time. However I may not even go to the orientation.

ok..so how you get the job if u cant attend the orientation ? :wink2: