apwa

wily_old_vet

DBoy-The point I was trying to make with my example was that people who are under the vesting point in their plan would have to start from scratch with a change to APWA UNLESS there is an accomodation made for this. That was my questiont to No Spin. Now to what you were saying about the pool of money for the already retired. If current money coming in has no part in what is paid out to current retirees then why would my payment go down if APWA succeeded in taking over? Isn't that part of the total in the plan enough to cover my pension until I no longer draw it? If it isn't that means that current payments into the plan are used for current retirees just like Social Security. Also why is the gentleman drawing $62 a month paying union dues? Are you? I'm not.

The main point I am trying to get across to those reading these posts who haven't yet retired is this. MAX OUT YOUR 401K CONTRIBUTION!!! That way when the time comes for you to retire you don't have these kind of worries.

pkgdriver

I have had my 401-k maxed out for many years now.

Now if i could have had my pension contributions put in there....

APWA!!!!!!!!!!

nospinzone

Response to Wiley

First off.....ditto on maxing out the 401k.

Wiley, as for your questions,,,,to be quite honest with you, Im in over my head when it comes to researching pension questions. Cornell University has the entire United States Legal code online with a chapter dedicated to government oversight of pension plans. This stuff is about as dry and as complicated as it gets, so I dont know how much insight I'll be able to offer. Two points that my uneducated assesment gleaned while reading over this document:

1. There is a process established that would force Teamsters to transfer to APWA monies contributed by UPS for its employees who are still working and would be represented by the new bargaining agent. This would allow a worker to keep his contributions together in one place until he/she retires.
(Transfers between multiemployer plans and single employer plans,,,,Transfers pursuant to change in bargaining representative)

2. Should the above occur, then UPS would still be partially liable for maintaining adequate funding of the "old plan". Due to the complexity of the code, I cant honestly say I understand the extent to which UPS would continue to be liable. But its obvious from my reading that UPS would still be required to pay into Teamster funds after a change in bargaining agents. (Employer withdrawals)

APWA's response to these questions sound very similar. Please understand that the following statements are based on conversations with Skillman and Eason. Their lawyers have explained to them that once APWA becomes the agent, UPS's liability to the Teamster funds is limited to plan participants who signed up prior to the decertification. Thus UPS would not have to guarantee the benefits of new hires from any company signing into a Teamster pension following the decert. UPS would continue to have liability for any unfunded benefits of all participants part of a Teamster plan before the decert--whether they worked for UPS or ANY OTHER COMPANY that participates in Teamster pensions...a liability that must be met up to the point that it would bankrupt UPS. UPS's liability extends well beyond its own employees, hence their interest in distancing themselves from this money pit. Eason said that its possible to verify the extent of UPS's legal obligation to the plan with corporate UPS themselves. I'll get a UPS phone number from him should anyone be interested....just forgot to include that in my emails.

The answer to this question lies in whose lawyers you believe. Teamsters, UPS, or APWA. One independent source would be the US Department of Labor. The number for pension related questions is (202) 219-8776. Once I recover from staring at this computer, I may give it a try.

Give me about $80,000 and four years to get my law degree, and i might be of more help to you on this subject.:lol:

nospin:cool:

mittam

wkmac said:
Oh I know the website very well and have even exchanged a number of emails with Van Skillman and Danny Eason of the organization. I found both gentleman to be very kind, knowledgable and sincere in their efforts and they also went to great lenghts to dispell some myths being thrown around not by the IBT but rather others who supported APWA and posted things here that was more pipe dream than truth. I would encourage all to checkout APWA.

Over9Five,
APWA seems to be strongest at this time along the lower to mid eastern seaboard and the south as it started in the North Carolina area. I see APWA more a ballbat for Southern and Mid Atlantic Teamsters to threaten the IBT with rather than a serious threat to replace the IBT. However, that said, Southern Teamsters especially are not exactly strong union and don't have a long history with union like other parts of the country so their loyalities don't run very deep at all. If they ever come to believe the APWA can and will do what it sez then I do think the IBT could face a serious threat of de-certifcation in the Southern US as this thinking grows. JMO.
mittam, how can roots run deep and loyalties stay tied to non-representation, taking away insurances and pensions and always being lied to?We are paid well and the company does pay well for our health care package why then have the part-timers insurances been cut in different parts of the country? According to the teamsters a part-timer should not have better insurance then other full-timers from other companies this is insane. IF our company pays for it then our part-timers should get the full insurance.

mittam

mittam said:
mittam, how can roots run deep and loyalties stay tied to non-representation, taking away insurances and pensions and always being lied to?We are paid well and the company does pay well for our health care package why then have the part-timers insurances been cut in different parts of the country? According to the teamsters a part-timer should not have better insurance then other full-timers from other companies this is insane. IF our company pays for it then our part-timers should get the full insurance.
Part-timers also should have a voice in all that is done in the union , not told they are out of line and to be quiet

mittam

smokey711 said:
APWA wants to hurt the Teamsters. Look deeper into these folks. Even if they were a legit orginization, think about your Teamster brothers and sisters you would be hurting by having a UPS-only union representing us. They need us.
who needs us, how about us, we need us, put our money into our pension for us, we do not work for the other trucking companies we work for UPS they pay good money to our pension and other companies get 60% of it, make the other companies pay what UPS pays then say we would hurt by leaving, let them take care of themselves or eqaully share the burden not riding on our coat tails raping us of what we should get from our company

local776

this is a joke really. people use common sense. IF it is so good why is the UPS dealing with a better contract with teamsters

local776

sorry folks this is a person trying to start a union . who is going to back this union? you with your $150.00 fee. if you check out APWA they are listed as a non profit. see how much money they made = O. if you wish you can look it up under the state of delaware, under corporation, and they are not in good standing.

blue efficacy

sorry folks this is a person trying to start a union . who is going to back this union? you with your $150.00 fee. if you check out APWA they are listed as a non profit. see how much money they made = O. if you wish you can look it up under the state of delaware, under corporation, and they are not in good standing.
All unions are non profits.

nospinzone

if you wish you can look it up under the state of delaware, under corporation, and they are not in good standing.
Hey Einstein. When you look up any corporation on Delaware's website, at the top of EVERY listing they make the satement "THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING". It doesn't mean that the corporation in question is in poor standing with the state. It only means that the website record is neither a record of poor or good standing. Good try though.

This is....the no spin zone.

30 and out I see my BA ATLEAST once a week.Always returns my calls.Could not ask for more. If you have a problem with your BA get him/her out.Dont blame it on yhe IBT ,they dont vote for them.If you have a problem with your wife do you go after your mother in law?[not sure I want your answer on that]

30andout

30 and out I see my BA ATLEAST once a week.Always returns my calls.Could not ask for more. If you have a problem with your BA get him/her out.Dont blame it on yhe IBT ,they dont vote for them.If you have a problem with your wife do you go after your mother in law?[not sure I want your answer on that]
I am not "going after" the teamsters, I just feel that their goal is not to represent us to the best, but keep themselfs going as an organization. I feel UPS is large enough to have their own union and not be shared with every other company in the US. They could do a lot better job if they wanted to.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
They both should come with a lease option :lol: 1980