Article 35 & "return to work"

Faceplanted

I'll be dead honest. I have been guilty of coming to work as a teenager/21 year old a little tipsy a few times, High many times. I grew up now and don't touch the buds any more and only drink after work.

Gotta grow up brother. Learn your lesson and be happy guy got a job. Lots of us have been there

rod

Retired 22 years
Some mornings it would have been easier to pick out the sober ones---Monday after Super Bowl comes to mind.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They do not administer the breathalyzer at the UPS facility. They will bring you to your local medical facility and they will either administer the breathalyzer or draw blood.

They tested our guys right in a center office. Our random UA's are done on site too.

barnyard

KTM rider
They tested our guys right in a center office. Our random UA's are done on site too.

At my center, they send us to the same clinic where we do our DOT physicals. When my name was drawn while I was working a run, they had a nurse at the hub collecting and testing. And now that I know that, I make it a practice to go to the can AFTER I drop off bills in the office.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At my center, they send us to the same clinic where we do our DOT physicals. When my name was drawn while I was working a run, they had a nurse at the hub collecting and testing. And now that I know that, I make it a practice to go to the can AFTER I drop off bills in the office.

This brings up a valid question: What if you just can't go? Do you have to stay (on the clock) until you can produce a sample?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have two hours to produce. We make the most of it.

Suppose they pull two of you for randoms at the same time. One of you produces within 15 minutes while it takes the other 1 hour and 45 minutes to produce. Would there be basis for a grievance for the hour and 30 minute difference?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks for the insight. The whole process has been long and stressful/complicated just like anything thru UPS and this treatment program. So basically no alcohol even in my own free time outside of work for te full year that I signed away to allow random testing?

I believe once they spend the money through an employee assistance program, its not just one yr, its always.and forever. I had a friend once in it for cocaine, a few weeks later I saw his car at a local bar. I stopped in, and told him, you cannot replace one bad habit with another. He told me I was not his mother. I told him i was trying to be a friend. A while later he called off drunk, came in the next, was fired. He was a really great guy. He had some bad personal issues, and it drove him over the edge.

while I am not saying you are addicted to anything, and while your random testing period may end,there is no second chance if it ever happened again. I believe that is the end, and you are gone.

no reason for the italics, Im on a new pc, and dont know how it kicked on. good luck

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Suppose they pull two of you for randoms at the same time. One of you produces within 15 minutes while it takes the other 1 hour and 45 minutes to produce. Would there be basis for a grievance for the hour and 30 minute difference?

No. You can't file a grievance because you didn't take as long to pee as the next guy. It's all kind of up to the person peeing. Maybe some guys just want to go home. I don't drag it out too long, but mainly because the guy who does ours has the kind of breath that fills a room. I mean, just halitosis bad. I get my time anyway, so if I have to pee, I pee.

browntroll

the only time i heard of someone getting tested in preload was one guy threatening other ppl before coming into hub, obviously management was waiting
for him to clock in before jumping down his throat to test(he was drunk and fired). maybe every hub is different, never heard of random testing in my hub.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I know many, many people that have gone through...and obviously a lot more than did go through and I don't know about. But yeah, your leash is extremely short. One person (a then part-timer, now full-time) I know of was caught and has had random testing for years now, perhaps close to 10 years.