Article calls FedEx " The Wal-Mart of the trucking industry"

jmeti000

I dont see why someone cant go to college...even if its just one class a semester at a community college at least your working for your future and it only takes 1 hour of your time a night. For that matter, now days you can take online courses that dont even take 1 hour per night. Use financial aid or a grant to pay for it up front, and then if you paid on financial aid just pay it off at the end of the semester with the tution reimbursment from FedEx.

LTFedExer

Please, go to the company right now and tell them you insist on lower pay, much lower, and no benefits. Come on big talker, show us how much you love FedEx by falling on your sword for them! All talk, do as you say, not as you do.
When a company hires someone, do they not tell them their pay? Do they not have the option of not accepting the job after that? Those workers weren't hired and then their pay was cut. They knew there were no health benefits, yet still accepted the job. Now they say its not enough........tough. Should've gotten a different job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When a company hires someone, do they not tell them their pay? Do they not have the option of not accepting the job after that? Those workers weren't hired and then their pay was cut. They knew there were no health benefits, yet still accepted the job. Now they say its not enough........tough. Should've gotten a different job.

I see nothing wrong with accepting a position and then doing all that I can to improve the conditions within that position both for myself and for those who will follow.

vantexan

Fair point, but do you know what was said to them to get them to take job? I've transferred around, more than most. I've been lied to numerous times about the nature of the route, the other duties expected of me, even the location of the route. Those people likely didn't know the extreme conditions involved, and are asking for fair compensation in exchange for working in those conditions. Seems to me FedEx would want to offer better pay and benefits to make it more attractive to stay with them, rather than take advantage of the lack of work in the area to pay as little as possible. Why exploit people just because you can? Yes BBSam, more profit, it was rhetorical.

bbsam

Staff member
If they feel exploited they can return to the ranks of the unemployed, can't they? And yes,van, that was rhetorical.

vantexan

If they feel exploited they can return to the ranks of the unemployed, can't they? And yes,van, that was rhetorical.
"Let them eat cake"- Marie Antoinette The rich create jobs in pursuit of wealth. We need those jobs to exist. But it's our productivity on the job that produces that wealth. We should be fairly compensated. We shouldn't be greedy in our estimation of what is fair. And neither should the rich. But as they have the wealth, they get their way. Sooner or later, as anyone who's studied history knows, there's a backlash. Often severe. Ask Marie... In no way am I suggesting such a thing, just pointing out that people never seem to learn from history and make the same mistakes.

bbsam

Staff member
Well, for you usurpers of the power structure that is, perhaps the correct historical reference is from lady Macbeth: "Screw your courage to the sticking post and we shall not fail!" In fact, I am not even opposed to workers organizing, but neither am I inclined to spear head that which I view as futile.

vantexan

Well, for you usurpers of the power structure that is, perhaps the correct historical reference is from lady Macbeth: "Screw your courage to the sticking post and we shall not fail!" In fact, I am not even opposed to workers organizing, but neither am I inclined to spear head that which I view as futile.
Funny how some people quote movie characters as if it really happened. And you took that further by quoting the Bard. While I believe Capitalism is the best way to feed, clothe, and house the most people, remember that in historical terms it's a recent phenomenon, same as some other "isms" out there. For it to work those who benefit most from it have to learn to be more benevolent. Otherwise it will always create anger, resentment, retaliation in the name of justice. And just how free will this nation be if the majority are eventually turned into wage slaves for the benefit of the few? Especially when the few start seeing themselves as a new aristocracy that has the right to control the many?

bbsam

Staff member
Take the lesson. Whether it happened or not doesn't matter if the lesson holds true. Businesses teach" the art of war" for a reason. Latin, though a dead language still speaks to the living. You in fact come close to describing Marxist theory of the" rise of the proletariat". Now a all that's lacking is the courage and leadership to see it through to whatever end may be waiting.

vantexan

Take the lesson. Whether it happened or not doesn't matter if the lesson holds true. Businesses teach" the art of war" for a reason. Latin, though a dead language still speaks to the living. You in fact come close to describing Marxist theory of the" rise of the proletariat". Now a all that's lacking is the courage and leadership to see it through to whatever end may be waiting.
But why let things deteriorate to the serfdom of Tsarist Russia? Or even modern day Tunisia? We need corporate leadership that is civic minded, not just looking for a self-serving photo-op with United Way.

bbsam

Staff member
I fear you are too late for that question. Everything I see suggests that we are already there and with a political structure locked in.

vantexan

I fear you are too late for that question. Everything I see suggests that we are already there and with a political structure locked in.
We aren't serfs yet. But it seems we're on a path that will lead to revolt someday. Doesn't have to be that way.

CharleyHustle

If their paychecks come from FedEx (like Express), they should. Shocked I would agree with you?

Most handlers at Express are there just for the bennies because their 2nd (1st) jobs don't give them any. You call them 'throwaway jobs'. While the name might be harsh, you're not far from the truth......especially when there's a line of people waiting to take their place.

Better pay and benefits don't make the job better, just more tolerable. If the economy ever turns around and we get closer to "full" employment, better jobs will lure employees away from worse jobs. You have to offer more or use a less desirable employee. Truth is many do move on while pitying those "people in line".

jmeti000

I hate to tell you this, but at the Express ramp I work at neither AM or PM shift can keep handlers staffed. The AM shift is currently down 8-10 employees, of which they "draft" people from the PM shift for every week, and the PM side is down I think 3 but generally there are enough AMers volunteering to cover the positions...and its been like this for a few months with no hope of it ending in site. Its gotten to the point were you dont even know how many splits you want to volunteer for because the one day you want to let your body recover you will be drafted. If its like this in a down economy when people supposedly WANT a job, I cant imagine how understaffed the building will be when the economy gets better.

So does anyone here have any experience with organizing or participating in a union drive? I've read about union-busting techniques before, and Fedex' tactics in particular. Kind of curious if anyone has insight or advice......

Sidenote: Kudos to Fedex for figuring out ways to cut costs and reduce their liabilities. From a shareholder/stakeholder standpoint, Fedex has it figured out with the independent contractor scheme and the non-union package handlers. I've just recently started reading about the RLA and Express employees, pretty interesting stuff.