Article calls FedEx " The Wal-Mart of the trucking industry"

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Kudos to Fedex for figuring out ways to cut costs and reduce their liabilities. From a shareholder/stakeholder standpoint, Fedex has it figured out with the independent contractor scheme and the non-union package handlers. I've just recently started reading about the RLA and Express employees, pretty interesting stuff.

None of which is ethical.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

None of which is ethical.

The only ethics in business is that which is taught in business school; however, much like recruits fresh out of basic training, business school graduates are told to forget everything that they learned in business school (basic training) when they land their first job (arrive at first duty station).

Cactus

The only ethics in business is that which is taught in business school; however, much like recruits fresh out of basic training, business school graduates are told to forget everything that they learned in business school (basic training) when they land their first job (arrive at first duty station).

That's no excuse.

Cactus may be confusing ethics and morals.

Sounds like you wouldn't know good business practices if they bit you in the ass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, you guys defend what's going on in corporate America and attack those who criticize what's being done. But you sure like what your union has done for you.....

Psst....I'll let you in on a secret....I would be OK with or without the union but, yes, it is nice to have the union in my back pocket.

Cactus

Psst....I'll let you in on a secret....I would be OK with or without the union but, yes, it is nice to have the union in my back pocket.

Yeah right. Pretty damn easy for you to say.

If you lost the union membership and all the perks that come with it you'd be pissed as hell.

vantexan

so sign the card already.
What good would it do? Seriously? If the Teamsters won't make any effort to have a national vote, and the company has made sure we can't vote locally, then what good does it do? If you can give me a detailed explanation of what it will do that will actually improve my situation then I'll go down to the UPS office tomorrow and ask to see the shop steward. We had a 2 year window of opportunity. Where were they? And frankly things are so screwed up now I don't think the Democrats will win back power as long as they want to govern from the extreme left. If anything the Republicans will gain complete control and corporations will further squeeze the working man. So what good is that card?

vantexan

No guarantees in life, another little secret. But you've had a nice run with the Teamsters. That's a concrete fact. Easy to judge those who don't have great pay, healthcare, and nice pension.

jmeti000

I agree...I have met many couriers/drivers with degrees that chose to become so or did so out of income needs. A college degree doesnt mean much anymore and are a dime a dozen. Believe it or not, depending on what your degree is in, you make more delivering than you ever would in your degree field. On top of that, many fresh out of college are having a heck of a time finding anything because markets are saturated with out of work peeps with both degrees, and years of experience...if you were a hiring manager, would you hire some kid right out of college, or someone with a degree + 10 years industry experience? Take me, Im finishing up my Masters right now and had dreams of working for the government. However, the gov. is hacking ALOT of the positions that my education and experience would have qualified me for. In addition to this, did you know that a starting manager at Fedex (express) makes MORE than someone starting out at the GS-9 level pay grade? Sometimes its neccesary to put aside your aspirations and shift your sites to other avenues that might not be as ideal, but will still allow and provide the opportunity for you to move forward in life.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yeah, you guys defend what's going on in corporate America and attack those who criticize what's being done. But you sure like what your union has done for you.....

Dude, what's going on now is the same thing that's been going on as long as there's been a corporate America. With the exception of one brief period*, the goal has always been to maximize profits and the means has included cutting any and every expense that you think is taking away from your bottom line. The ones who are the most aghast are the ones who aren't benefitting, or don't think that they are, and they're the ones who didn't bother paying attention until the reality was staring them in the face.

*Thanks to WWII, we enjoyed a 25 year stint of rampant and incredible economic growth as a result of so much of the rest of the industrialized world getting blown to crap and China still not having figured out that communism was an absolute joke. "Employees want a couple of extra perks? Hell, give 'em three! We've got the money and there's plenty more where that came from." People tend to forget that that was the exception, not the rule.

vantexan

Dude, what's going on now is the same thing that's been going on as long as there's been a corporate America. With the exception of one brief period*, the goal has always been to maximize profits and the means has included cutting any and every expense that you think is taking away from your bottom line. The oneswho are the most aghast are the ones who aren't benefitting, or don't think that they are, and they're the ones who didn't bother paying attention until the reality was staring them in the face. *Thanks to WWII, we enjoyed a 25 year stint of rampant and incredible economic growth as a result of so much of the rest of the industrialized world getting blown to crap and China still not having figured out that communism was an absolute joke. "Employees want a couple of extra perks? Hell, give 'em three! We've got the money and there's plenty more where that came from." People tend to forget that that was the exception, not the rule.
Actually, dude, if you do a search on this forum for China, or narrow it down by using Brazil, you'll see that I wrote exactly what you are citing. But today we are faced with alot of barriers our predecessors weren't. Large corporations control more than half the workforce now, a much larger % than in the 50's. Manufacturing is a much smaller sector of our economy now. Service industries are now 80% of our economy. Manufacturing only 14%. Part of the blame is corporate greed. Part is union excesses. Part is government overregulation. Much is foreign competition. The world has changed. But does that mean the American worker has to accept a minimal existence so that others can do well and some extremely well? Our CEO's make over 400 times what their average employees make. In other industrialized nations CEO's average 15 to 52 times more, depending on the country. There seems to be a recognition in other countries that everyone does well when everyone has a stake in the outcome. Anymore in the States it seems to be winner takes all, and we should feel lucky we have a job. Not all is bad here, not all is good elsewhere. But it does seem that we're going the wrong direction. If it has always been this way, how come in the late 80's a newhire at FedEx could feel he had a future if he did his part? And why are so many newhires leaving quickly now?

Last edited:

Cactus

so sign the card already.

What good would it do? Seriously? If the Teamsters won't make any effort to have a national vote, and the company has made sure we can't vote locally, then what good does it do? If you can give me a detailed explanation of what it will do that will actually improve my situation then I'll go down to the UPS office tomorrow and ask to see the shop steward. We had a 2 year window of opportunity. Where were they? And frankly things are so screwed up now I don't think the Democrats will win back power as long as they want to govern from the extreme left. If anything the Republicans will gain complete control and corporations will further squeeze the working man. So what good is that card?

Oh Bbsam you are Mister-know-it-all.

Signing a card (if the Teamsters would ever get the balls to come down and hand them out) would be just as effective right now as signing a piece of toilet paper.

We can't do this if our hands are tied if you haven't noticed already. And the reasons are what Vantexan has already explained above.