Kre8ion

I applied for feeder driver and was contacted by HR that my interview will be a phone interview. Then HR is having me come in for a road test and physical the end of this week. Is this normal or case by case basis?

Kre8ion

I applied for feeder driver and was contacted by HR that my interview will be a phone interview. Then HR is having me come in for a road test and physical the end of this week. Is this normal or case by case basis?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

It's normal if they want to hire you.

Pass the road test and physical and you should be hired.

clean hairy

There were 2 Rookie Feeder going to the same meet point to swap out loads, and bring the meet point loads back to their home Hub. Rookie #1 left the Hub for the meet point and was told his swap out load would be there within 30 min.
Rookie #2 left for the same meet point 20 min later.
You guessed it!
Rookie #1 got to the meet point and the swap out was late, so when Rookie #2 got to the meet point, they both thought the other was the swap out load.
One took lunch nearby, the other drove a bit before taking lunch.
So, the trailers taken FROM the Hub were brought back to the same Hub, and the swap out drivers were sitting at the meet point wondering where their swap out loads were!
Imagine the confusion!

FeeDerp

The yard I was domiciled in wasn't designed for the 53' trailers that are so popular now. There are times that you cannot safely pull them off an outbound door safely, especially if the carwashers park package cars along the fence. Plus the yard isn't big enough, and sometimes people park stuff where it shouldn't be. like blocking other stuff in. As a result, about 20% of the time, a dispatched trailer couldn't be pulled without moving something else, sometimes more than 1 trailer had to be moved. I kept snacks in my lunch for just a situation. You'd be suprised how much a shifter will help you out of a bind for a bag of skittles. I'd try to flag one down, and if I couldn't I'd call dispatch, who would then send them over. Sometimes more than 1 would show up, cause they knew I had treats. lol. I shifted in the yard for a year when I first came into feeders, so I know what these guys go thru. My son is a shifter on the yard now.

Ever been to the Cincinnati hub? Lol

2Slow

This is my first post, but let me start out to say WOW! The forum is full of great information and a lot of recent posts, not just outdated info. Thanks, guys for sowing into each other. My first post may get a little long; if so, I apologize.

I just got hired on as a feeder seasonal driver in the Indianapolis 81st street terminal tentative on my background check coming back. There should be no issues there. I interviewed Tuesday and the HR Supervisor said I would start this upcoming Monday (November 9th) and when I didn't hear from her I called her Friday and she said it would be the following Monday (November 16th) since the full background check wasn't back yet.

I have a list of questions so I will number them. You guys may need more information from me in order to give good information. I'm willing to provide anything you need.

1) My relative that is a package driver (box truck - whatever they are called) in a different terminal and is concerned that I won't get any work and may be sitting for days waiting on a call to come to work. Others have told me that if I want it, I'll be able to work my full 70 hours (HOS). Which is more likely to be true?

2) Being in the trucking industry, my ultimate goal has been to get on with UPS (not the freight division). I know it's not perfect, but I feel a great fit for me and my future. I expressed this to my interviewer and asked her opinion on how to get on after seasonal. She said it depends on 1) how many other feeders retire 2) who you know and 3) your performance. Does this sound accurate?

3) What tips do you have for a highly motivated seasonal feeder driver to get on permanently? Between my relative, my interviewer and a couple of others I was advised to never EVER say my old company does something a certain way; even on day 1 of orientation/training come in with the work boots polished (even without having the uniform yet); memorize the safety rules - i was given 2 pages from my relative of particulars that the drivers are required to memorize verbatim; i was told to even bring in doughnuts for dispatch; also answer when called, come in early and stay after your shift asking if there is anything else you can do; obviously make your arrival time early.

4) Are the feeders driving 10 speeds or automatics or what?

5) How legit does UPS want feeders to be on their logs? For instance, most companies want you to be "off-duty" when at a yard even though you may be working. Does UPS want you to be "on-duty" when doing stuff like that?

6) There are many rumors in the industry. Some say that feeders are not aloud to pre-trip their equipment or hook or unhook as to prevent their uniforms getting dirty. I've also heard the opposite. Which is true, or does it very from each terminal?

7) That 1 week of training or orientation for seasonal feeders, what does it include?

8) Any other thoughts or advice? I'm extremely excited and motivated. I want to finish my career with UPS and want to be prepared to outwork everyone if I need too.

Thanks again guys for all of your feedback and posts!

I work at 81st street. You'll have never seen anything like our yard around 8pm and again around midnight. Go slow, wait your turn, and don't tear anything up!

1) We have 4 big Amazon warehouses in addition to being in the 15 largest cities in America, they will be diverting loads out of Indy. There will be work.

2 and 3) Yep. Juanna told you accurately. The most certain way to get on is to get into delivery at the 81st street building, then you will get a chance to qualify for Feeders so long as you stay out of accidents over there.
There are no speed bonuses here, have a good attitude, shave, and don't tear anything up.
We've had a rash of accidents lately, our division manager is about to jump off the roof, if you look dangerous you have no chance.

4) Most of our tractors are 10 speeds, but we have a few new autos. Kenworths, Macks, and some Volvos we've borrowed from freight.

5) We run 100% legit. I've seen guys out of hours picked up from 3 miles away. DO NOT EVER FALSIFY ANY DOCUMENTS, EVER.

6) You will be expected to do a thorough pre and post trip. We learn to do it without getting rookie stripes (grease on uniform)
Make sure you have a 5th Wheel puller. Use an underhand grip to release dolly.

7) Your week involves a lot of classroom, hooking doubles, pre trip, driving around.

8) Do it the UPS way. I won't lie, getting on is not going to be easy. We have hired 140 drivers in the last 5 years, it's slowing down. We're holding them to the 6 and 1 ratio. We want them to offer Feeders to the other 2 Indy buildings.

Good luck

Last edited:

iamjeffaiden

I work at 81st street. You'll have never seen anything like our yard around 8pm and again around midnight. Go slow, wait your turn, and don't tear anything up!

1) We have 4 big Amazon warehouses in addition to being in the 15 largest cities in America, they will be diverting loads out of Indy. There will be work.

2 and 3) Yep. Juanna told you accurately. The most certain way to get on is to get into delivery at the 81st street building, then you will get a chance to qualify for Feeders so long as you stay out of accidents over there.
There are no speed bonuses here, have a good attitude, shave, and don't tear anything up.
We've had a rash of accidents lately, our division manager is about to jump off the roof, if you look dangerous you have no chance.

4) Most of our tractors are 10 speeds, but we have a few new autos. Kenworths, Macks, and some Volvos we've borrowed from freight.

5) We run 100% legit. I've seen guys out of hours picked up from 3 miles away. DO NOT EVER FALSIFY ANY DOCUMENTS, EVER.

6) You will be expected to do a thorough pre and post trip. We learn to do it without getting rookie stripes (grease on uniform)

7) Your week involves a lot of classroom, hooking doubles, pre trip, driving around.

8) Do it the UPS way. I won't lie, getting on is not going to be easy. We have hired 140 drivers in the last 5 years, it's slowing down. We're holding them to the 6 and 1 ratio. We want them to offer Feeders to the other 2 Indy buildings.

Good luck

Thanks for this feedback! This is great snd I appreciate it.

FeeDerp

Good luck

Im rolling in a freight truck now. Pretty nice rigs.

I saw yesterday we have actual freight drivers here pulling our loads. Heard they were laid off from freight.

But yeah...our yard is only going to get worse each day...just gunna have to hurry up and wait

Johney

There were 2 Rookie Feeder going to the same meet point to swap out loads, and bring the meet point loads back to their home Hub. Rookie #1 left the Hub for the meet point and was told his swap out load would be there within 30 min.
Rookie #2 left for the same meet point 20 min later.
You guessed it!
Rookie #1 got to the meet point and the swap out was late, so when Rookie #2 got to the meet point, they both thought the other was the swap out load.
One took lunch nearby, the other drove a bit before taking lunch.
So, the trailers taken FROM the Hub were brought back to the same Hub, and the swap out drivers were sitting at the meet point wondering where their swap out loads were!
Imagine the confusion!
Ah....someone not check their trailer #'s? If it's not dispatched to my IVIS you bet I make a call to dispatch to ask what I'm there to get.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
HOS ..,,, we got a pamphlet today from New England Feedahs. ,,, states from next week till dec 30 th. UPS has been granted a waiver to legally work a 70 hour work week ??
Anybody else in feeder land across the country get this ??

FeeDerp

HOS ..,,, we got a pamphlet today from New England Feedahs. ,,, states from next week till dec 30 th. UPS has been granted a waiver to legally work a 70 hour work week ??

Not yet, but we did last year.

They could do that all year if they wanted...not sure why they would need to have a legal waiver

FeeDerp

They never did force any of us to work 70 hrs, it was more for the people that wanted to work 70