MaceFremonti

So one chilly winter Monday morning last year I open the door to my assigned tractor and immediately can tell someone smoked in it over the weekend. I look around the yard and see nothing but a few shifters and some old 243 Macks - nothing I would want to NEWPA and back.

"M*th*rf*ck*r!", I say to myself.

I get it in, start her up, and turn on the blower - the stench of Marlboros blows out of all the vents.

"Man...this sucks."

I call the guy I share with and give him the lowdown, he's not happy either.

I ultimately decide to just grin and bear it and hit the road. Smell should hopefully dissipate.

By the time I get to South Mountain I have both windows wide open freezing my ass off.

All the way up and all the way back I air the tractor out. Coldest I have ever been.

Although not much different than being in a Sterling! :p

It took almost a week before we managed to get the stench out.

I hate that :censored2: !

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yesterday, I did a day of extra work, a rarity for my center. I screwed the pooch entering legs and all that, but by the end of the day, all my mistakes became clear.

When doing CPUs, if doing trailer swaps, the leg is a TA, if doing CPUs it is not. I did not know my PU slic and things skittered downhill from there.

I was trying to make a trailer swap CPU a regular CPU and just changing the trailer numbers in the Ivis. Also, I did not know that with a CPU that is not a swap, you are still entering the CPU slic as the 'end loc' when you are on their property.

Doesn't matter, it all pays the same. If UPS didn't want non CPU drivers screwing up their CPU IVIS methods, they would have a system that was easier than solving a Rubik's cube.

Dracula

So one chilly winter Monday morning last year I open the door to my assigned tractor and immediately can tell someone smoked in it over the weekend. I look around the yard and see nothing but a few shifters and some old 243 Macks - nothing I would want to NEWPA and back.

I get it in, start her up, and turn on the blower - the stench of Marlboros blows out of all the vents.

"Man...this sucks."

I ultimately decide to just grin and bear it and hit the road. Smell should hopefully dissipate.

By the time I get to South Mountain I have both windows wide open freezing my ass off.

All the way up and all the way back I air the tractor out. Coldest I have ever been.

"Man...this sucks."

This is why I carry that citrus air freshener in my bag. If I get a tractor like that, I spray liberally down all of the vents, on and behind the seats and on anything plastic or cloth. And I hit our vacuum before I hit the road to pick up all of the ash and trash. Most smokers don't seem to keep their gear very clean.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when my tractor was left a mess i would wash it, vacuum, spray fabreeze and whatever it took to get it in the shape i left it in.

and a lot of relief drivers wear their gloves all the time so the steering wheel is gross and the shifter and inside door handles, etc.

this took anywhere between 20-45 minutes . too bad bosses. they would sometimes complain but it fell on deaf ears.

usually the dispatchers would wise up and be selective on who drove my tractor but we would get new dispatchers a couple times a year so the fun never ended.

dirty drivers are usually substandard drivers also.

FeeDerp

....so if it's just a "little bad", the accumulative effects of inhaling it all day won't affect you?

There are laws about smoking in a shared work area. Second and third hand smoke affects people differently.

If the truck has been smoked in, I won't drive it. Period.

If it's a "little bad", I can roll down the windows for a bit and be fine.

it's the drivers who chain smoke a pack or 7 with the windows up and recirculate the air before stepping out of the truck. Not the guys who smoke one 20 mins out, with the windows down and let it air out.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hey guys just wanted your input on something... I'm going to attempt to put some kind of winter go bag together and was wondering if any of you have or had one and if so what type of items were in it??also have any of you had to sleep overnight at a hotel because of going over hours or had to sleep in your car or building because of bad weather and you couldn't get home in s reasonable amount of time before your next run...thanks in advance for any and all feedback!!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hey guys just wanted your input on something... I'm going to attempt to put some kind of winter go bag together and was wondering if any of you have or had one and if so what type of items were in it??also have any of you had to sleep overnight at a hotel because of going over hours or had to sleep in your car or building because of bad weather and you couldn't get home in s reasonable amount of time before your next run...thanks in advance for any and all feedback!!

Been put up in a hotel quite a few times. Mainly in the winter due to running out of hours due to heavy snow. Accidents and the slower driving time during heavy snow.

I always keep a blanket, water and snacks in the tractor during the winter in case of a long breakdown or highway closure and having to spend an extended period of time in a tractor.

The blanket is just in case the tractor is broke down. Helps keep you warm.

On days where there is a projected major snow storm, I always bring an overnight bag. Same items you would have if you are planning on spending the night in a hotel.

Toothbrush, deoderant, clean socks, underwear, etc.

Other items are available at the hotel they put you up in...shampoo, towels, soap, etc.

Never spent a night in the tractor or at a building.

Dracula

Always have an electric blanket. They usually cost around $20-30 and are worth their weight in gold. They plug into the cigarette lighter. One of my old routes, I used to take a nap for about an hour and a half. Even in the dead of winter, I could sleep comfortably for 90 minutes. But even if you don't sleep, the plug in blanket will keep you warm during a breakdown as long as the tractor has a little power.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Been put up in a hotel quite a few times. Mainly in the winter due to running out of hours due to heavy snow. Accidents and the slower driving time during heavy snow.

I always keep a blanket, water and snacks in the tractor during the winter in case of a long breakdown or highway closure and having to spend an extended period of time in a tractor.

The blanket is just in case the tractor is broke down. Helps keep you warm.

On days where there is a projected major snow storm, I always bring an overnight bag. Same items you would have if you are planning on spending the night in a hotel.

Toothbrush, deoderant, clean socks, underwear, etc.

Other items are available at the hotel they put you up in...shampoo, towels, soap, etc.

Never spent a night in the tractor or at a building.
How do you get paid if you have to stay overnight at a hotel