Coldworld

60 months and counting
I asked the feeder bosses for years why they don't let the new drivers go with an experienced driver for a couple weeks or a month after their 2 weeks of feeder training. Of course they said that was an excellent idea and I wasn't the first to suggest it. They said the union wouldn't let them. asked the union and they said the company wouldn't allow it due to costs. It was one of those deals. each blaming the other.

A little while before I retired they started the "mentor " program where they would let a new driver go with an experienced driver for 1 to 3 days. Only after the newbie got in an accident. go figure. The first 2 days would be with 2 different veteran drivers and the third day would be with an on road supe.

I was lucky to be asked to be a mentor and it was very rewarding and satisfying to help a new driver. The drivers I helped all said they learned much more in one day than they had in 2 weeks of training minus the actual practice. I showed them all the tricks I learned over 30 years and the things to watch out for. Things, of course, they were not taught in training.

I'm not sure if this program is a success as I retired about 6 months or so after it started but I believe it is a step in the right direction.
Even if I could go out with a regular veteran driver for one night that would be huge you could probably learn so much in a 12 hour shift probably way more than you would been out with a suit for 2 1/2 weeks

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can anybody explain to me how a rolling reset works

No such thing as a rolling reset.

There is a rolling 7, working without resetting hours of service. In other words, not taking 34 hours off.

I have done it during peak. You just need to keep track of your hours and don't go over 60 in a 7 day period.

Worked 4 weeks without a 34 hour reset.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can anybody explain to me how a rolling reset works

I guess a rolling reset could mean that you never reset, that you keep on rolling.

It is also referred to as a rolling 60.

If you work 7 straight days, the hours from the first day worked fall off once you start on day 8. So theoretically, you could work 7 days a week for unlimited weeks at a time without ever having to do a 34 hour reset.

You just cannot go over 60 hours in a 7 day period.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

There is a rolling 7, working without resetting hours of service. In other words, not taking 34 hours off.

I have done it during peak. You just need to keep track of your hours and don't go over 60 in a 7 day period.

Thought you had to have 34 off...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when the weather was bad in the winter I would sometimes take Mondays off because I knew a lot of drivers would not have hours to work friday night. you get 3-4 snow nights in a row for 14 each and a 16 and you are all done in 4 days.

the boss asked me why I called out on Mondays and I tried to explain but he would have none of it . He told me we need drivers on Mondays too and let us worry about Fridays.

OK , it's your party , boss.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
when the weather was bad in the winter I would sometimes take Mondays off because I knew a lot of drivers would not have hours to work friday night. you get 3-4 snow nights in a row for 14 each and a 16 and you are all done in 4 days.

the boss asked me why I called out on Mondays and I tried to explain but he would have none of it . He told me we need drivers on Mondays too and let us worry about Fridays.

OK , it's your party , boss.
We get slammed with pickup volume on Mondays

guyinthebrownbox

In my building, they look at you like scum of the earth if you don't work 14 every day. I understand and occasional long day for holiday weeks or unforseen circumstances, but sometimes they are relentless

brown67

"Don't go over 60 in 7 a day period." Lol. I have a hard staying under 60 in 5 days.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
"Don't go over 60 in 7 a day period." Lol. I have a hard staying under 60 in 5 days.

In my neck of the woods, there are a lot of 8 hour shift jobs. No OT except during peak.

I was stuck on one for awhile. That is why I worked a peak without ever resetting. Needed some extra Christmas money.

The difference between a 40 hour work week and a 60 hour work week, besides the hours, is about $50K.

jaker

trolling
They schedule my days off Sunday and Monday , but I am on a sleeper those days

While technically I am not driving Monday I am still in the berth and I scheduled to work tues through Sat

guyinthebrownbox

If you have enough on duty time, then yes you will. For example your second punch will come sooner than mine, since each of my punches come once every 24 hours. You can get yours as soon as your co-driver runs out of drive time (11hours). Your on duty time is reduced in a sleeper thus leaving you hours for a 6th and possibly a 7th punch